General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Stop me from selling my z28 for a 03-04 Cobra.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 03:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bluestreak98
Get both.

SPEAK to this man here.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

quoted from supersport01 pg. 3 "boost= fords bandaid for lack of performance"

Originally Posted by WSsick
Probably the worst post in here.
Negative. Makes perfect sense. if the 03/04 was not supercharged...would we even be having this conversation? Seriously now, be honest

Last edited by Frogger; 12-07-2010 at 03:10 PM. Reason: didnt know of the multi-quote option
Old 12-07-2010, 03:10 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts

I had a pulley'd 04' with 430 RWHP. It was an animal for sure. The blower sound and torque were awesome. The rest of the car.....eh.

I enjoyed it, but I do not miss it.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone else hate where the shift position is in the Mustangs? I've driven a few Mustangs in my day and my worst fear is losing the skin on my knuckles to the HVAC controls.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Frogger
Negative. Makes perfect sense. if the 03/04 was not supercharged...would we even be having this conversation? Seriously now, be honest
In the end it doesn't matter because that's how the Cobra's came from the factory. I don't think I heard the Ford guys cry about how the F-bodys had a 346ci 5.7L before the Terminator's came out. Saying "Ford needed a blower to compete" is old and not to mention a stupid argument. What about the FI LSX guys? I don't hear Chevy guys comment on other Chevy guys with blowers.

I think people who bring up the blower argument are a little pissed/jealous that a 4.6 4V can make good power with little mods and came with forged internals from the factory. We all know the majority of cam only LS1's would get killed by just a pullied/bolt-on Cobra.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SSmokin99
In the end it doesn't matter because that's how the Cobra's came from the factory. I don't think I heard the Ford guys cry about how the F-bodys had a 346ci 5.7L before the Terminator's came out. Saying "Ford needed a blower to compete" is old and not to mention a stupid argument. What about the FI LSX guys? I don't hear Chevy guys comment on other Chevy guys with blowers.

I think people who bring up the blower argument are a little pissed/jealous that a 4.6 4V can make good power with little mods and came with forged internals from the factory. We all know the majority of cam only LS1's would get killed by just a pullied/bolt-on Cobra.
Anyone who says the terminater isnt one of the baddest motors ever put in a factory car is full of ****(For the time anyways) Its about the only ford a chevy guy can drive and not get **** for it because of how bad *** it is.

Originally Posted by 94 Camaro Z28
Does anyone else hate where the shift position is in the Mustangs? I've driven a few Mustangs in my day and my worst fear is losing the skin on my knuckles to the HVAC controls.
Yes it was the first thing i noticed getting back into a mustang from a corvette...Its terrible and takes a lot of time to get used to...It feels like you have to lean to the right and stretch forward....TERRIBLE...until you get used to it anyways.......
Old 12-07-2010, 03:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had this same quandary and bought another LS1 car so I could have both....I love my 03 and the sound of the blower is intoxicating but the lure of a cammed/stalled LS1 car was strong....so to sum it up......GET BOTH.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Frogger
quoted from supersport01 pg. 3 "boost= fords bandaid for lack of performance"

Let's be serious, GM does it with displacement, Ford with boost. Oh wait, what about that new 5.0? That's making almost the same power as an LS3 with 1.2L less, no boost either. A Ford 4v mod motor will eat up an LS motor of equal displacement, but since they can do it with less, why bother? I really hope your post was sarcastic, otherwise its sad to see some so misinformed. GM makes a 4.8L LS based motor, and it only makes 270hp, and that's with 0.2L more than the old Ford 4.6. The 3v and 4v mod motors beat that, got an answer to that?

Yes, in the past N/A Fords were weak but they aren't anything to laugh at now. Well, actually the Cobra R motor wasn't very weak, and the Mach 1's 4v wasn't too shabby, but definitely was lacking once modded.

But to answer your question, no we wouldn't be having this conversation if it wasn't supercharged. However, it is blown and therefore you can't bitch about it. It's the most childish debate ever. Each chose their own way of making power, the Ford just ended up with more.

Each of these cars has their own advantages/disadvantages, which have all been beaten dead soooooo many times over the years. The OP should just drive a Cobra and see how he likes it. There is no 1 car that is best for everyone.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SSmokin99
I would choose a 03/04 Cobra over a SS because you can pass smog easier, with little mods it'll be a beast, & they sound better than a non cammed LS1. I think they look just as good as a SS too if both are properly modded (exterior wise). One of the major things that I hate about the Cobra's is their motors blowing etc.
I don't have smog testing, and have a hefty cam lol.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by prochargedpony
I say cobra, I am the opposite of everyone with the shifter location. Going from mustangs to a camaro, I miss my sn cars and shifter location, but I have been driving mustangs since I was 16 and i am now 31yrs old. The cobra with a kenne bell would be mind blowing, a used KB will go for the same as a set of headers, heads, cam, intake and tune on an ls1. You can't beat the power basic bolts ons ad to an LS1 no doubt, but an 03 with bolts ons, and not ls1 bolts ons ie, cam, ls6, and ported heads. I mean regular bolts ons, pulley, exhaust, cold air and a tune will put up stellar numbers. The refinement and drive of a cobra is a huge difference over an SN95 car, my 03 gt I had before my 00z, had an 03 cobra IRS with 4.10's rode 10000000000 millions times better then my Z ever could dream of, my 98z with a stock suspension still had no comparison. If you want higher payments and less money to mod get the cobra, if not bolt on the bottle and some heads and go to town on the Z, you have a damn nice Z so it would be a tough choice.

Thanks man,
Everything you stated outlines the issue haha !
Old 12-07-2010, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Since there seems to be a lot of one sided arguements, here's the a factual comparison, decide for yourself which is best for you:

98-02 F-body vs. 03/04 Cobra

Chassis:

F-body has the better setup. F-body uses SLA front suspension (best system available) with struts and a 3 link in the rear. Cobra uses "modified MacPherson struts" in the front, which are basically outdated garbage. No other car uses them that I know of, and for good reason. They are cheap and not great for handling. Cobra has IRS, which would be better for handling except that is weighs 400lbs and flexes much more than it should.

Engine:

LS series is excellent. Makes lots of power easily, very reliable, tons of aftermarket, any just about any swap you can think of is possible. Modular series started out as a dog, and finally hit its pinnacle in the Cobra. DOHC heads, forged internals, and the blower go a long way to making big power reliably. However, the roots style blowers are suseptible to severe heat soak, and will loose significant power if driven under load for extended periods (track sessions). Reliability has been excellent for both motors, the Cobra had a notorious "head tick" that Ford address by putting new heads on the cars under warranty.

Brakes:

Cobra has better stock front brakes (13" front rotors with dual piston PBR aluminum calipers vs. F-body 12" rotors and dual piston PBR aluminum calipers) but the F-body has better rear brakes, with single piston aluminum PBR calipers on 12" vented rotors vs. the Mustangs antiquated cast iron calipers with integrated parking brake and 11.8" rotors. Both have excellent aftermarket options: F-body has the Corvette C6 upgrade, C6 Z06 upgrade, and CTS-V upgrade. Mustang has aftermarket kits as well as the 14" Brembo 4 piston GT500 upgrade from Ford Racing.

Interior:

Interiors are a draw. Cobra has nicer seats with suede inserts. Trans Am dash is nicer quality than the poor fitting plastics in the Mustang. Driving positon is subjective, some like the Mustang, some like the F-body better. Cobra also has a very heavy cable operated clutch that is not friendly in heavy traffic, but generally more reliable than the F-body's hydraulic system.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bluestreak98
Get both.
I've always wanted both. I figure both combined is still cheaper than a new Z06 right??

Hahahhaaa

Too bad that's not an option ATM. (Maybe in a few years?)
Old 12-07-2010, 04:18 PM
TECH Resident

Here's some pictures of my car for comparison.

(And yes, some people hate the hood, some people like it... but I F**king love it)

Old 12-07-2010, 04:21 PM
TECH Resident

Last edited by Pro_built7; 12-07-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:23 PM
TECH Resident

I'm so attached to this thing ^^^^

That's my problem: I'm emotionally involved with this car (No homo)
Old 12-07-2010, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Take a Cobra for a test drive and see how you like it. Drive a pullied one and you might have made up your mind then
Old 12-07-2010, 04:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

that hood is a little much lol. but overall its a nice car. id keep it.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WSsick
Let's be serious, GM does it with displacement, Ford with boost. Oh wait, what about that new 5.0? That's making almost the same power as an LS3 with 1.2L less, no boost either. A Ford 4v mod motor will eat up an LS motor of equal displacement, but since they can do it with less, why bother? I really hope your post was sarcastic, otherwise its sad to see some so misinformed. GM makes a 4.8L LS based motor, and it only makes 270hp, and that's with 0.2L more than the old Ford 4.6. The 3v and 4v mod motors beat that, got an answer to that?

Yes, in the past N/A Fords were weak but they aren't anything to laugh at now. Well, actually the Cobra R motor wasn't very weak, and the Mach 1's 4v wasn't too shabby, but definitely was lacking once modded.

But to answer your question, no we wouldn't be having this conversation if it wasn't supercharged. However, it is blown and therefore you can't bitch about it. It's the most childish debate ever. Each chose their own way of making power, the Ford just ended up with more.

Each of these cars has their own advantages/disadvantages, which have all been beaten dead soooooo many times over the years. The OP should just drive a Cobra and see how he likes it. There is no 1 car that is best for everyone.
Couldnt have said it any better myself! Awesome post.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
that hood is a little much lol. but overall its a nice car. id keep it.
I was skeptical about the hood at first, but I've grown to like it. Looks cool when you're sitting in the car, and makes it stand out in a see of look-a-likes
Old 12-07-2010, 04:47 PM
TECH Resident