General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

I am looking into an LS1 FBody. Do they run hot inside like the Viper

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 03:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am looking into an LS1 FBody. Do they run hot inside like the Viper

I know that when I read reviews of the Viper, one of the biggest complaints is that the engine is so hot and that heat is then transfered into the cabin. My dad had one and I can assure, this is a complaint for good reason. Is this an issue at all with the LS1 FBody? What about larger displacement versions like strokers, any difference?

To go a little off topic, are there any issues similar to that that I should prepare for? The specific car I am looking at is a 1998 Trans Am with a 383 LS1

Thanks,
Lawrence

Last edited by lwoods; 12-15-2010 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 522 Likes on 376 Posts

Speaking purely as a 'stock' LS1 owner, and an LT1 owner before that, the answer is no. No engine heat is felt inside the cabin. I lived in FL before NC. No issues for me.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a stock LS1 F-body and a blown LT4 F-body, and neither have internal heat issues. Climate wise, they are comfortable.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Never heard of anyone having a problem with this. I personally havent in either of my LS or LT cars either.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No heat from the engine is felt whatsoever. These cars have a nice insulated fire wall that keeps all that heat out of the cabin. I've never heard about the Viper issue before, is that common on all models?
Old 12-15-2010, 03:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Ive heard old Vettes had a similar issue. Agree with guys here, cabin's climate is excellent and in no way affected by engine temps.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Its a LS1 bro they don't have problems...... hahah no you will RARELY hear about heat problems from these cars
Old 12-15-2010, 04:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

engine heat inside cabin NO. BUT the car itself wont allow air to come into it! sometimes i drive other frnds or family cars and oh man you def. feel the difference when windows are down.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Of the many things wrong with our cars, this doesn't seem to be one of them.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Latch
Of the many things wrong with our cars, this doesn't seem to be one of them.
And what are the "many things wrong" with these cars?
Old 12-15-2010, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lwoods
Leaky and noisy rear ends, piston slap, window motors, headlight motors (only a problem for Firebirds of course), weak rotors that warp, crap speakers that blow easily, factory shocks are awful, cats that clog prematurely, non-functional trunk releases, cracking interior panels, etc.

That being said, I LOVE this car and hope I never have to sell it. These problems are common but chances are you will only have to deal with a couple of these issues.

I've had a few of these issues, but they're nothing major... the car has always started and driven fine, very reliable car in that sense.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by lwoods
Honestly not many, especially if the car is kept near stock.
Window motors are known to wear out/die easy, but are easy to replace and cheap ($50 give or take from autozone). Headlight motors are known for some issues as well, either dieing or eating through the gear (another easy and cheap replacement by buying a brass gear).
The stock 10 bolt rear ends can break if beaten on enough as well.
Other minor things are the factor rotors are known to warp easy (replace with something like brembo blanks) and the factory shocks suck, leaving you with a floaty disconnected ride while also being jarring and jittery and shitty handling, easy fix with some good shocks (like bilstiens or konis).
Its more so going to depend on the condition of the car and how the previous owner treated it, and what mods he has done.
Check out the FAQ too:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...questions.html

Last edited by JD_AMG; 12-15-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

this is one of the few problems i havent had.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Idk, it was always burning up in my car in the summer and hot air would come in from under the dash... anyone else notice air coming from there?
Old 12-15-2010, 09:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6sleeper
Idk, it was always burning up in my car in the summer and hot air would come in from under the dash... anyone else notice air coming from there?
Thats because you had the temp dial set on hot. Many cars (for whatever reason) have airflow from under the dash even when the air is set to "off". I noticed this too and if you turn it to cold, cooler air (or sometimes no air) comes out from under.

I think the issue with the Viper is mainly the routing of the exhaust (they are incorporated into the side kick pannels/skirts whatever you want to call them) and the heat radiates into the interior.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ yeah I completely agree. Put the dial on cool and it's cold air put it on warm and it's warm. I like it for those chilly fall nights when it's too cold for the windows down, but too hot for full blown heat. ha ha
Old 12-16-2010, 02:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Golf&GM
No heat from the engine is felt whatsoever. These cars have a nice insulated fire wall that keeps all that heat out of the cabin. I've never heard about the Viper issue before, is that common on all models?
Its more common on the earlier Vipers. I drove a 94 & it got hot in there. The 03 & newer is not nearly as bad. I drove an 04 a week later & it wasnt as bad.

Originally Posted by WS6sleeper
I do feel some hot air at times in my SS, it transfers through the shifter boot area. Not nothing like the older Vipers though.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I never notice any heat transfer from my motor to the interior and I have a 98. The A/C will freeze you out during a Texas or Arkansas summer.
The squeaks and rattles interior wise on mine aren't that bad. Especially compared to my old 91 GTA I used to have. It seems like everything with age and mileage rattles. Had a 97 Grand Cherokee and I swear it rattled more than my car does. Everything is just plastic nowadays.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Latch
Leaky and noisy rear ends, piston slap, window motors, headlight motors (only a problem for Firebirds of course), weak rotors that warp, crap speakers that blow easily, factory shocks are awful, cats that clog prematurely, non-functional trunk releases, cracking interior panels, etc.

That being said, I LOVE this car and hope I never have to sell it. These problems are common but chances are you will only have to deal with a couple of these issues.

I've had a few of these issues, but they're nothing major... the car has always started and driven fine, very reliable car in that sense.

bfft this dude said it all! other than that
Old 12-18-2010, 04:38 AM
Staging Lane

i have had that issues with previous cars but the F body i have noticed no heat issues at all

Quick Reply: I am looking into an LS1 FBody. Do they run hot inside like the Viper