General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Why are goat prices still high?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 09:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got my 04 2 years ago for 11.4k with 78k miles bone stock 6 speed and ended up sellingi it for 11k. Had the chrome stock wheels (I don't see a lot in chrome) and had 05-06 hood on already then added 05-06 bumper and had $450 in rear bumper total. Bought cai, slp maf, bigger throttle body and thats it (planned on having it longer and mod more). But the car felt very POWERFUL for such few mods. I ran 13.4 but had about a 2.6 60' (wheel hop and tire spin) they are bitches to launch good. I know if i had good launch it would have been in the high to mid'ish 12's. My 98 z has full exhaust, cai, maf, ported throttle body, some suspension and weight reduction and doesnt seem NEARLY as fast as GTO (may be because z is auto), but advantage to 04 GTO's they come stock with ls6 manifold.

Last edited by wickedlsx; 02-08-2011 at 09:54 PM. Reason: left out info
Old 02-08-2011, 09:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by k1SXS06
Forgot the power door locks
say whaa??? did'nt know.

i did own an 04. and i knew 2 guys in my home town who worship the 05/06.

maybe i'm on the 04's side a little, but i'm just pointing out that for the money the 04 is a better buy and you PRETTY MUCH get the same car, minus a few things. for ME it's no big deal. i liked the car so much that the other odds and ends did'nt bother me and my car with exhaust and tune was a real strong car.

so yes i am for the 04. the op ask about $$$$$$ for the gto's and i'm pointing out that for what you get vs $, the 04 is a hell of a deal if you really want a gto.

if the op does'nt plan on going in the motor then bolt ons and a tune will more then hang with an ls2.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:00 PM
Launching!

**** i miss this car...
Old 02-08-2011, 10:01 PM
Launching!

back to the op!!!!!!!!! sorry i got carried away
Old 02-08-2011, 10:16 PM
Launching!

ok i lied one more picture.. this is an 04 with dual set up.

if you can sit there and say that this is not as good looking or better(i say) looking then the 05/06 rear exhaust you're either

A in denial or B on crack

ok j/k. but you can't deny that this is'nt a clean set up.

back to the op this time.

either way you go 04 05 or 06 they are all great cars. and i effing love them
Old 02-08-2011, 10:38 PM
Staging Lane

well the 04's have a true dual setup stock but single outlet
Old 02-08-2011, 10:44 PM
10 Second Club

Jsmith brings up a good point is the extra 5-7k (at least where i live) worth it??
Old 02-08-2011, 10:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by agenthol302
Jsmith brings up a good point is the extra 5-7k (at least where i live) worth it??
That depends on your goals for the car. As a stock DD, the LS1 has more than enough power. I'd personally still get the 05/06 model if for nothing more than appearance and residual value. No one is going to settle for second best if they can comfortably afford the best. The only reason I think I would settle for an 04 is that purple color
Old 02-09-2011, 07:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
wtf? are you kiddin?
no, only the 2006 has a lock/unlock button in the center console, the others do not.

Ryan
Old 02-09-2011, 08:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by slow
no, only the 2006 has a lock/unlock button in the center console, the others do not.

Ryan
So are you saying NO power locks in the 04-05 GTOs?

That can't be right.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
So are you saying NO power locks in the 04-05 GTOs?

That can't be right.
thats the truth. Don't know why but if you think about it if your in the car why would you need to lock both doors (i can see if you have a kid up front or parked some trying to get some action), but the key fob has keyless entry and lock.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wickedlsx
thats the truth. Don't know why but if you think about it if your in the car why would you need to lock both doors (i can see if you have a kid up front or parked some trying to get some action), but the key fob has keyless entry and lock.

this is correct. it had power door locks. just not a switch to use them other then the key fob. i dont ever recall a time where it was a problem. when i would pick up my old lady and not get out of the car i would just reach over and unlock the door. no biggy. but i have a toyota pickup and have been doing the same for years. no big deal.

i remember there being a kit to install the door lock switch and it being a pretty streight forward install if it was a big issue for someone, but hell i dont even think i have ever herd any 04/05 owners ever bitching.

i will one day own another gto. they are that great of a car.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

For 18 I'll get you 1 and a half!
Old 02-09-2011, 03:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by agenthol302
for someone who likes to mod i think so.

for someone who likes to get in and go, i say just get the 05/06 and be done.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Angry

Originally Posted by wickedlsx
Originally Posted by jsmith564
this is correct. it had power door locks. just not a switch to use them other then the key fob. i dont ever recall a time where it was a problem. when i would pick up my old lady and not get out of the car i would just reach over and unlock the door. no biggy. but i have a toyota pickup and have been doing the same for years. no big deal.

i remember there being a kit to install the door lock switch and it being a pretty streight forward install if it was a big issue for someone, but hell i dont even think i have ever herd any 04/05 owners ever bitching.
i will one day own another gto. they are that great of a car.

OHH sorry I misunderstood. I thought there was no power option for the locks even on the key fob. kinda like no power windows but crank.

Last edited by bad_408_vert; 02-10-2011 at 12:15 AM.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:32 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by dhowdy
That depends on your goals for the car. As a stock DD, the LS1 has more than enough power. I'd personally still get the 05/06 model if for nothing more than appearance and residual value. No one is going to settle for second best if they can comfortably afford the best. The only reason I think I would settle for an 04 is that purple color
thats funny you say that cuz the one my dad owns is the 04 in cosmos purple with the purple on the seats too its like 1 of 700 somthing in that combo. also its got the 05 06 raim air hood...looks awesome
Old 02-10-2011, 12:36 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 67SS&99SS
I've been looking for one too. I want an 05 or 06 M6, and they are pricey. However, I've been looking at low mileage cars. Most 25k or less miles cars I've seen have been $18-22K. This is ebay, auto trader, craiglist and car max.

For those of you that have a GTO, how do you like it? I've been researching the cars for a few months and most people have nothing but good things to say. None of the squeaks and rattles that F-Bodies have, much better interior, and better ride quality.

I love mine and have a blast driving it. Its comfy and gets lots of attention since you dont see them very often. I rarely see them and if i do its usually only going to be one. They're becoming more and more rare everytime someone wrecks one and thats part of whats keeping the value up. You can find them around but the cheaper ones out there are usually ragged out or the occasional guy just trying to offload it quick. Most of the really nice ones out there are holding their own. A buddy of mine just totaled his 06 and his insurance gave him 18k for it which shows the value also.

Personally i'd go with an 05-06 because like others have said, for collectibility and or residual value thats the years you're going to want imho. Finding a nice one with an M6 can be tougher also, i had to drive halfway across Texas to get mine because i only wanted one with a stick and in one of the colors i liked.

I've modded mine quite a bit and its the biggest attention ***** i've ever owned. i get compliments and questions all the time about it. The only real complaints i have with it is the need for suspension upgrades on just about everything over time. The struts, radius rod bushings and springs need replacing pretty fast in these cars but once theyre upgraded they drive even better.

Good luck on your search, you'll be happy when you get it.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:05 PM
Staging Lane

I live in the northeast, I almost bough an 04 Auto GTO for 11k (60kmiles) The LS2s around here go for alot more, 16-20k for under 50k miles
Old 02-10-2011, 10:11 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by GoatCaptain
I love mine and have a blast driving it. Its comfy and gets lots of attention since you dont see them very often. I rarely see them and if i do its usually only going to be one. They're becoming more and more rare everytime someone wrecks one and thats part of whats keeping the value up. You can find them around but the cheaper ones out there are usually ragged out or the occasional guy just trying to offload it quick. Most of the really nice ones out there are holding their own. A buddy of mine just totaled his 06 and his insurance gave him 18k for it which shows the value also.

Personally i'd go with an 05-06 because like others have said, for collectibility and or residual value thats the years you're going to want imho. Finding a nice one with an M6 can be tougher also, i had to drive halfway across Texas to get mine because i only wanted one with a stick and in one of the colors i liked.

I've modded mine quite a bit and its the biggest attention ***** i've ever owned. i get compliments and questions all the time about it. The only real complaints i have with it is the need for suspension upgrades on just about everything over time. The struts, radius rod bushings and springs need replacing pretty fast in these cars but once theyre upgraded they drive even better.

Good luck on your search, you'll be happy when you get it.

that car is beautiful
Old 02-11-2011, 12:15 AM
8 Second Club

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jsmith564
ok i lied one more picture.. this is an 04 with dual set up.

if you can sit there and say that this is not as good looking or better(i say) looking then the 05/06 rear exhaust you're either

A in denial or B on crack

ok j/k. but you can't deny that this is'nt a clean set up.

back to the op this time.

either way you go 04 05 or 06 they are all great cars. and i effing love them
sorry dude that rear is not even in the same ballpark as this one.

Quick Reply: Why are goat prices still high?