General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Looking at buying this Firehawk, need help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ask the guy a few posts back for the bonestock Firehawk link. I would go with that over the cammed one. Anyone with a brain buys that cam to make HUGE power and not just for the nice lope it has.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^True but the magic stick is a good cam non the less, maybe not the best combination as others but definatly a good choice imo, i was going to go that route. OP: did you get the car?
Old 02-19-2011, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

The car drove perfect. Clutch was good, body condition was great. My cousin that has a built Z06 test drove it and said it was a good strong car and shifted no problem. I put money down on the car.

The owner clearly wanted the cam just for the sound and lope. I believe it had the stock intake, so he spent all that money just to have the sound of a cam, not to build a car completely. The tune was good aswell.

If all works good with the bank I should be the new owner!

I will obviously be changing some. things on it, but overall it was a good strong car that was not beat on.

Last edited by Kyles03; 02-20-2011 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:45 PM
On The Tree

My cousin who is into ls1's and corvettes and owned a shop in Vegas approved of the car so I felt confident. I also talked him down quite a bit also!
Old 02-19-2011, 10:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you can swap the cam to your liking for cheap.life is a compermise,work with it.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 506 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyles03
My cousin who is into ls1's and corvettes and owned a shop in Vegas approved of the car so I felt confident. I also talked him down quite a bit also!
Congratulations on your purchase and getting it closer to the price you wanted as well. Some very good opinions were posted here to help you out.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:23 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,686 Likes on 1,208 Posts

I've moved this thread back from the "What's it Worth" section, as that no longer has anything to do with the current direction of the thread. It seems to be about mod concerns, model identification, driveability and now a new LS1 owner. Congrats!
Old 02-20-2011, 04:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Congratulations on your purchase and getting it closer to the price you wanted as well. Some very good opinions were posted here to help you out.
Yes. I am so glad I joined this site when I found this car! I want to thank everyone again for the help!!!

Originally Posted by garygnu
you can swap the cam to your liking for cheap.life is a compermise,work with it.
My thought also, I can always change things for more of my liking

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I've moved this thread back from the "What's it Worth" section, as that no longer has anything to do with the current direction of the thread. It seems to be about mod concerns, model identification, driveability and now a new LS1 owner. Congrats!
Got it. And thank you sir

Now I need to wait till monday to hear from the bank on the finalization of the loan. They use NADA so I hope they can finance a Firehawk considered a "Classic/Exotic" car according to NADA. But I don't see why they can't....

I also need to call GM and see if the car was made a Formula or Trans am. But on the carfax the vin says its a Trans am/Formula. So I don't know which on it is?

Last edited by Kyles03; 02-20-2011 at 05:21 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:44 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

I also need to call GM and see if the car was made a Formula or Trans am. But on the carfax the vin says its a Trans am/Formula. So I don't know which on it is?
By RPO, a Formula would have the WS9 code. A Trans Am would have Y82 in addition to WS9. In other words, Trans Am is a package added to a Formula.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 02-21-2011 at 01:51 AM.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I wouldn't worry about that. As noted before, 90%+ of the 'Trans Am' cars will still state 'Formula' on the title because that's how they start out.

And since it's a 2002 car, it already has the LS6-design intake which is good enough for a 'bolt-on' mod'ed car. No need to change the intake unless you start to get into higher dollar mod's.

So the original wheels are not available?!?
Old 02-21-2011, 09:31 AM
On The Tree

By RPO, a Formula would have the WS9 code. A Trans Am would have Y82 in addition to WS9. In other words, Trans Am is a package added to a Formula.
Ahh ok. I am just looking at production number wise. On firehawk.org they say in 2002 a Formula Firehawk in black is 1 of 39. A Trans Am Firehawk is 1 of 501 made.

Originally Posted by PontiacFan
I wouldn't worry about that. As noted before, 90%+ of the 'Trans Am' cars will still state 'Formula' on the title because that's how they start out.

And since it's a 2002 car, it already has the LS6-design intake which is good enough for a 'bolt-on' mod'ed car. No need to change the intake unless you start to get into higher dollar mod's.

So the original wheels are not available?!?
Factory wheels he sold He did not like them, he wanted a wider stance thats why he bought the torque thrusts. I am going to look at finding some factorys for sure though.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:19 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Ahh ok. I am just looking at production number wise. On firehawk.org they say in 2002 a Formula Firehawk in black is 1 of 39. A Trans Am Firehawk is 1 of 501 made.
Ah, I see what you're asking now. The car you posted pics of at the beginning of this thread is definitely a Trans Am Firehawk.

A Formula Firehawk would have a different front bumper, lower spoiler and no ground effects (would look like a base V6 Firebird with a Firehawk hood).
Old 02-21-2011, 12:29 PM
On The Tree

Ah, I see what you're asking now. The car you posted pics of at the beginning of this thread is definitely a Trans Am Firehawk.

A Formula Firehawk would have a different front bumper, lower spoiler and no ground effects (would look like a base V6 Firebird with a Firehawk hood).
Ok so this one 1 of 501 black TA Hawks built in 02. What do you mean by ground effects?

But I still don't get why the carfax called it a TRANS AM/FORMULA...?
Old 02-21-2011, 02:31 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Ok so this one 1 of 501 black TA Hawks built in 02.
Yes.

What do you mean by ground effects?
The pieces that bolt to the bottom of the car along the rocker panel. If you look under the side of the car (in the middle, between the front and rear wheels) you will notice that the factory lower body moldings (ground effects) just bolt onto the car at each end. This is part of the Trans Am package.

But I still don't get why the carfax called it a TRANS AM/FORMULA...?
Because there is nothing in the VIN that designates "Trans Am". All you can tell by the characters in the VIN is that it's a V8 Formula (Trans Am is an option package that is added to a Formula). Therefore, based on the VIN, it could be either a Formula or Trans Am, hence the "TRANS AM/FORMULA" (and in many publications, it'll just be called a "Formula"). You have to look deeper (RPO codes) to see if a given VIN number belongs to a Formula or a Trans Am. Of course, you can just look at the car and see the difference (those items I mentioned above), but if you only have the VIN to work with (like Carfax), you won't be able to tell if the Trans Am package was added unless you run all the RPOs for that VIN.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 02-21-2011 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:52 PM
On The Tree

^^ I will look deeper once I see the car again and look at the codes. Im missing it already

Here is the crappy, short, wrong angle vid I took of it on a windy day. Atleast you can hear how it sounds a little. I should have taken more, but I was focused on seeing the car, not taking pics

Last edited by Kyles03; 02-21-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:07 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

I watched it, but it's not clear enough to really hear anything in detail. Seems to idle nice though.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lol, definitely need a better vid, but I've never actually heard a car sound like it was "galloping" before now, sounds good
Old 02-22-2011, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Congrats on the purchase! In no way was I saying that is a 'bad' cam, its a great cam for power...I wouldn't want it for my street car. As long as the OP likes it, I am happy for him. Take good care of it!
Old 02-23-2011, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

I watched it, but it's not clear enough to really hear anything in detail. Seems to idle nice though.
I wasn't kidding when I said it was a crappy vid haha

Originally Posted by $750 L98
Lol, definitely need a better vid, but I've never actually heard a car sound like it was "galloping" before now, sounds good
Thanks!

Originally Posted by TImmy_Jones
Congrats on the purchase! In no way was I saying that is a 'bad' cam, its a great cam for power...I wouldn't want it for my street car. As long as the OP likes it, I am happy for him. Take good care of it!
Thanks! It is/will be in good hands. I baby my vehicles. This car will probly never be opened up to its fullest. I just want to enjoy cruising in it

It needs to have the rest of the exhaust put on. Right now in that vid its only true dualed to dynomax bullets then dumped before the axle. The rest of the magnaflow exhaust is included when i pick up the car.

I found a TA on youtube of one with the same cam and GMMG exhaust, and it sounds perfect!!
Old 02-23-2011, 03:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i hope that video is crap or thats a noisy *** valvetrain lol.

Quick Reply: Looking at buying this Firehawk, need help!