General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Looking at buying this Firehawk, need help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 01:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
That is exactly what it should say. All Firehawks started off life as either a Formula or a Trans Am. GM then sent the cars to SLP for the Firehawk conversion.

If it's a real Firehawk, you'll see the "WU6" RPO code on the SPID sticker found on the driver's door jamb. If you want to verify this code before seeing the car, you'll need the car's VIN. You can then take the VIN and either have a GM dealer run the number through the VIS system, or plug the VIN into a site like compnine.com. Either way, you'll be able to see a full list of the car's original options, and you can look for the WU6 code.
Great, thanks for clearing that up and explaining it to me. I wrote down the code and will look for it when I take a look at the car on Saturday!

This car is turning out so far to be legit. If the WU6 code is there and the car is in great condition as the owner explained, I will talk $$$ then with him.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would definatly talk him down, it seems a bit steep to me..
Old 02-14-2011, 06:51 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by The Mighty Texan
Same here, I doubt I'd pay that much for a car that wasn't in a near stock form, but that's just me.

Good luck OP!
Old 02-14-2011, 06:52 PM
TECH Regular

car fax on my 02 SOM SS came back clean also. dont put your blinders on when you get there. i fell in love when i saw my 02. dude owned a body shop and hit a couch on the freeway with the car right before i bought it.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

i would think 14500 might be a good price . What was done with the cam , springs, pushrods anything else or what ?
Old 02-14-2011, 07:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by The Mighty Texan
Originally Posted by Tobias05
Same here, I doubt I'd pay that much for a car that wasn't in a near stock form, but that's just me.

Good luck OP!
What do you guys is a fair price for that one? KBB on them is about $15,500 right now. I'll see how low i can talk him down, but i think he is going to come back and say, "well this is how much money i put into it" and so on.

Originally Posted by msydow
car fax on my 02 SOM SS came back clean also. dont put your blinders on when you get there. i fell in love when i saw my 02. dude owned a body shop and hit a couch on the freeway with the car right before i bought it.

Ouch! What should I look for engine wise when i get there? Since its got an aftermarket cam and such? How can I tell if the engine is running smoothly and everything is right?
Old 02-14-2011, 09:07 PM
On The Tree

Oh yea, whats the Magic Stick 4 Cam? How good of a cam is it? The guy did not even know the specs on it...

Sorry for all the questions but i want to make sure i have some info on these cars when i look at it.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyles03
What do you guys is a fair price for that one? KBB on them is about $15,500 right now. I'll see how low i can talk him down, but i think he is going to come back and say, "well this is how much money i put into it" and so on.
Any modifications to any vehicle are worth nothing to the bank. To them the car is only worth what NADA states and not a penny more. Many lending institutions will allow you to borrow enough to pay the Tax, Title and Licensing Fees on top of the asking price, but very few will allow you to get upside-down in a car to cover the cost of mods.

Remember to use this information to your favor, as well as the fact that the seller has been trying to unload the car for a while, to get a better deal.

And the best advice of all is to remember YOU CAN ALWAYS WALK AWAY. There are plenty of other cars out there.

Good luck, man!
Old 02-15-2011, 07:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mumbles
Any modifications to any vehicle are worth nothing to the bank. To them the car is only worth what NADA states and not a penny more. Many lending institutions will allow you to borrow enough to pay the Tax, Title and Licensing Fees on top of the asking price, but very few will allow you to get upside-down in a car to cover the cost of mods.

Remember to use this information to your favor, as well as the fact that the seller has been trying to unload the car for a while, to get a better deal.

And the best advice of all is to remember YOU CAN ALWAYS WALK AWAY. There are plenty of other cars out there.

Good luck, man!
^ This.

If you really like the car, tell him you'll give him KBB value for it. It's a beautiful car, but you don't want to overpay on it. Just because he might owe X-amount on the vehicle/put in X amount doesn't mean it's worth that amount.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:08 AM
Launching!

Also, if you want to confirm the Firehawk build number call SLP with the VIN at 732-349-2109 (try extension 167 first). I believe they just ask for the sequence number, but I can't remember for sure because it's been a few years since I called.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:21 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Ultimately, how low the seller is willing to go will depend on how bad he wants to sell the car. There are some cars I've seen for sale for a year or two years; these are people that clearly are not in a rush and willing to wait for someone with cash that really wants the car. If no one is willing to pay, then the price will either come down or they will end up keeping the car.

Mods may have value to you, if they are mods that you would have planned to do anyway (and if they are done well). On the other hand, for buyers that want a stock car (many feel this way), then mods are a strike against him.

Don't pay a price that's more than you feel comfortable with for this particular car. Conversely, don't worry too much about getting the best deal in the history of used cars; they'll always be someone that says you overpaid. Some people on this site seem to live in areas where you can find 10k mile cars for $4500, or at least that's what they claim
Old 02-15-2011, 12:21 PM
On The Tree

Good info guys, I appreciate it again!!!

Now since the car has an aftermarket cam and no other engine mods done besides tuning. Should I be worried about any other engine internals?
Old 02-15-2011, 05:11 PM
Launching!

You guy's should count yourself's lucky when it comes to the price of F-Body's in the states. I don't know if it's a supply and demand thing, because there aren't many 4th Gen F-Body's around here in good shape, or at least I haven't seen many. If you want a good clean F-Body with low miles your going to pay 15-25k here easily. I know there will be some people that say I was taken to the cleaners but I found one in almost showroom condition and still the had the new car smell! I really wanted the "hawk" theme. I paid 20K for a 17xxx mile car and everything was in exceptional condition.

My point.. At least in IMO, it comes down to how much you really want the car, other cars in the area, and price. I know some people are going to not agree with this, but if it's a couple grand more than the "average" priced car and there aren't any other cars to consider, try to get him down, if not, make the purchase and enjoy the car! You only live once.

If it's a clean car, gl with the purchase.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:33 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by cnd99hawk
You guy's should count yourself's lucky when it comes to the price of F-Body's in the states. I don't know if it's a supply and demand thing, because there aren't many 4th Gen F-Body's around here in good shape, or at least I haven't seen many. If you want a good clean F-Body with low miles your going to pay 15-25k here easily. I know there will be some people that say I was taken to the cleaners but I found one in almost showroom condition and still the had the new car smell! I really wanted the "hawk" theme. I paid 20K for a 17xxx mile car and everything was in exceptional condition.

My point.. At least in IMO, it comes down to how much you really want the car, other cars in the area, and price. I know some people are going to not agree with this, but if it's a couple grand more than the "average" priced car and there aren't any other cars to consider, try to get him down, if not, make the purchase and enjoy the car! You only live once.

If it's a clean car, gl with the purchase.
I see your points. I don't know anything about your pricing in Canada (or if those figures you quoted were Canadian or US money), but values sure do vary from region to region, even within the US. Here in the rust belt for example, winter-stored cars bring a premium that wouldn't apply to, say, Arizona.

In the end, I agree that I'd rather pay a bit too much for a car that I really like than get a killer deal on a car that I'm just settling for. It's a personal decision that all depends on if you're just bargin shopping or really looking for something specific. The newest of these cars is 9 years old now, so if you're going to be picky about certain things (like me), you're limiting your selection and may have to pay more.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

Yeah I really want the car. Sounds like you have a nice one RPM! I will pay a little extra for it, because I will keep it forever no matter what. And they do vary by region I've noticed also. I would be glad to pay some more for this one that has never seen winter, because thats exactly how I will treat it.

I just gotta go there, look at the code on the drivers door to see if its a legit firehawk, listen and hear the motor. Take it out on a drive if the roads are nice. Then hopefully buy it!!

I have an 03 silverado I am selling for this Firehawk.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

That cam is VERY aggressive, especially for a daily driver. I can imagine his mod list is extensive (suspension and some rear end work, i would hope). here is a link to the cam:

http://texas-speed.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=666

I would honestly be weary about a car with a big, aftermarket cam. Where was it installed? Tuned? What supporting mods?

Nothing against Texas Speed, which is a great company, I would just be weary about the cam choice.

Why those bullit wheels??? Stock Firehawk wheels look so much better on a TA.

Here is a thread for you...just to try and help you out. I would hate to see you shell out serious coin for a daily driver type car with an extreme cam.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ick-4-cam.html
Old 02-15-2011, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

There's a black hawk for sle here in town bonestock for cheaper. More miles "60k??" but superclean... I wana buy it myself so if troue deal doesn't go down lemme know and I'll pm you the dealership it's at
Old 02-15-2011, 11:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kyles03

Ouch! What should I look for engine wise when i get there? Since its got an aftermarket cam and such? How can I tell if the engine is running smoothly and everything is right?

Dude, you are talking about spending $15K or more. PLEASE do yourself a favor and get the car checked out by a professional. It would be great if you could take it to a speed shop that specializes in LS motors since it has a big cam in it and see what they charge to go over it. Last thing you want to do is spend that kind of money and then have motor problems because he beat on it or didn't install good supporting parts to the cam. I would also ask if he has receipts for the work done or for parts at the very least.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:08 AM
TECH Addict

If I were you I would try and get below kbb. Its hard to say, you gotta know what kind of a seller he is and what kinda buyer you are. To me, there is nothing out of the ordinary about it, other than it's in great shape of course, and the mods but, mods are a strike for most people and at the least just help the appeal of a sale not the value, but after putting money like that in the seller is going to have a higher value of the car himself and could affect what he will let it go for. When I was looking around man, I was keen on 4, and looked at alot more. You have to know what your looking for. Honestly, I doubt there's one thing wrong with that car, but for the money and all he better and prob will have all receipts. Being prepared to walk is a very good thing. Unless it's a steal, it's not eBay or anything and chances are the thing isn't going anywhere soon. In my opinion, the car is worth the kbb. Cam and mods just help it be attractive but if he is selling it as clean and 'like stock' as it is, people that are looking for that prob wont like the mods and big cam, so its really more of a bad thing for him right now. Anyways..I would get kbb out of it if it were me. There will be other cars dot worry, just may take alot of time looking. I knew every ls1 and lt1 for sale in east Texas, Dallas, Houston, and louisiana 3 summers ago. I looked everyday, and it payed off I eventually got my pewter z with 83k for 4000 cash nothing wrong with it. Hope you are able to get this one, if not then the next one out there! Good luck!
Old 02-16-2011, 12:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TImmy_Jones
That cam is VERY aggressive, especially for a daily driver. I can imagine his mod list is extensive (suspension and some rear end work, i would hope). here is a link to the cam:

http://texas-speed.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=666

I would honestly be weary about a car with a big, aftermarket cam. Where was it installed? Tuned? What supporting mods?

Nothing against Texas Speed, which is a great company, I would just be weary about the cam choice.

Why those bullit wheels??? Stock Firehawk wheels look so much better on a TA.

Here is a thread for you...just to try and help you out. I would hate to see you shell out serious coin for a daily driver type car with an extreme cam.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ick-4-cam.html
Alright just to clarify a little. The car was not his daily driver, and it will NOT be my dd by any means, ever. It will be a weekend/nice day cruiser for me.

You're right, I am weary about the cam. And have been. The only supporting mods it has is the springs and pushrods. What ever came with the cam kit. Stock rear end and factory clutch. I am trying to find someone around here that is into these cars and has more knowledge about them to take a look.

I asked him about the wheels. He bought the current 17's and sold the firehawk's. He said "I like the wideness of these wheels better than the factories". Personal preference on his part I guess.

My impression right now is that he is not in a hurry to sell it. He says he has nothing to hide and there is nothing wrong with it. I would think since he knows im very interested in it, and IF there was something seriously wrong with forcing him to hurry and sell it. He would be pressuring me into buying it right now.

Quick Reply: Looking at buying this Firehawk, need help!