General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

How bad is the wind noise in 98-02 convertibles?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 09:37 AM
Staging Lane

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Question How bad is the wind noise in 98-02 convertibles?

Ok guys,

Google is broken, whenever I type anything with “Camaro” the first 25 pages are nothing but reviews and ads for the 2011 camaro. . . The search here did not reveal anything here so I thought I would ask you guys.

How bad is the wind noise in the 98-02 Convertibles? Right now I’m in the market for a new LSx car and looking at all the options. I might have found a great deal on a convertible that I might not want to pass up.

I have only ridden in 1 convertible and that was a worn out 86 mustang. So I can’t really compare it to anything I’m looking at.

Thanks!
Old 02-24-2011, 11:56 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I owned a 97 convertible z28 lt1. it wasn't bad at all. Barely noticeble unless it was really windy or I was going over a hundred.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had a few convertibles and T tops over the years, and the 4th gen convertible is very quiet compared to some of the older stuff. I don't know how it compares to newer cars.

It's very liveable. The loudest wind sound you hear is the antenna whistling.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:48 PM
TECH Resident

It isn't noticeable to me. Passengers might notice it a bit more.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:10 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a '97Z vert and...well to me it's noisy and windy but it's expected and even desired, on my part. I suggest test driving and seeing for yourself.

While we're on the subject of 'verts, I just have to say that I hate 'vert posers. You know, the kind of drivers that have the top down, but all of the windows rolled up, possibly a windscreen behind them, sitting as low in the car as possible, wearing jackets, scarves, gloves and everything else. Or, other 'verts that I see on the road with a daily commute just like mine, but I never see their tops down. If the wind and the noise bothers them that much, why drive with the top down and why bother with a convertible? Me, unless it's raining hard enough that I can't drive faster than the rain can fall in that top and all the windows are down if the car is on the road. I just don't get it.

Last edited by myk; 02-24-2011 at 11:18 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what I remember its quiet. Been 4 months since i've driven it
Old 02-25-2011, 07:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 501 Likes on 361 Posts

MY '01 T/A 'vert is very quiet in my opinion. I own two other convertibles and this is the quietest of the 3. All the seals are in excellent condition on all 3 so that is not an issue. The seals must be good to prevent that wind noise. It may help that these F-bodies have a glass rear window while the others do not. It is also the most dry of the 3 with minimal drops of water on the very worse rainy days.
** Note: You might want to post this in the 'convertible section' for more responses. Good luck if you buy the car.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cant speak for the 98-02 cars, but my 96 Formula Vert is definitely one of my favorite rides during the summer. I'd just say to make sure the convertible top is in good shape, as they are very pricey to get new/installed. As said earlier, cant beat a LS1 convertible on a nice summer day.

Take that thing for a spirited test drive, imo.

When I got my Vert in February of 2005, i immediately dropped the top and went for my most spirited drive of my life. Wont ever forget that day!
Old 02-25-2011, 01:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Doh!! I didn’t even see the convertible section. Shows you how much I know about this site still . . . lol

Thanks guys!

Turned out to be a scam so I gave him the address to the Whitehouse. . .
Old 02-25-2011, 05:33 PM
Staging Lane

Its quiet with the windows up, but when i put em down i notice a bit of a difference, nothing thats ever bothered me though, especially on those nice summer nights.

Quick Reply: How bad is the wind noise in 98-02 convertibles?