General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

window motors

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 06:44 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default window motors

is there anything that can be done to help make these things work better? Both sides barely have enough power to move them up and down, sometimes not even enough. 110,xxx miles are they just shot? or can anything be done cheaply to fix them up?

did a little research on the site, quite a few years back everyone was talking about the siemen window motor from autozone, they dont seem to have that anymore. I"m looking at the Cardone or ACI motor, anybody have experience with these? are they pretty good?

also, do i need the regulator/motor combo.. or can i buy just the motor and that should take care of things?

Last edited by ripgtp97; 03-23-2011 at 07:12 AM.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have personally in all the f-bodies I have had never used autotrix but it had worked for some people with their passenger windows. I usually just purchased new motors usually from Ebay

www.autotrix.net

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMjA7jsHJQw
Old 03-23-2011, 10:31 AM
On The Tree

for that cost might as well purchase new motors lol lol. I have the same problem with the passenger window at times going up super slow or sometimes times not enough power to roll up the window. I'm looking into getting the motor replace.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:32 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah im going to just replace with ebay ones also. CD do they hold up pretty well? I dont know if you still would need to do the autotrix on a new motor and be better off. Figure ill do more research when the time comes but since the question has been asked..
Old 03-23-2011, 11:47 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,728 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Originally Posted by ripgtp97
is there anything that can be done to help make these things work better? Both sides barely have enough power to move them up and down, sometimes not even enough. 110,xxx miles are they just shot? or can anything be done cheaply to fix them up?

did a little research on the site, quite a few years back everyone was talking about the siemen window motor from autozone, they dont seem to have that anymore. I"m looking at the Cardone or ACI motor, anybody have experience with these? are they pretty good?

also, do i need the regulator/motor combo.. or can i buy just the motor and that should take care of things?
The Dorman brand (now sold at AutoZone) seems to be just as good as the old Siemens were. I put one in my '02 car last year, it's about twice as fast as the old worn out stock motor was (had about 95k miles on the car at the time). My passenger side motor is still original and working OK, but I'll eventually replace that with a Dorman as well.

The regulator should be fine, so long as the window is moving up and down at the proper angle. If the only problem you're having is slow or no movement at all, then what you need is a new motor.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:50 AM
Launching!

thanx a lot rpm
Old 03-23-2011, 07:29 PM
TECH Resident

I used the autotrix kit and it made my passenger side motor faster than the driver's side. Supposedly if you're stock motor isn't completely dead, if you use the autotrix kit, you won't need a new motor and even it you get a new motor, the autotrix will make it last longer.

The windows on my current car are okay, but I got so used to the speed with the autotrix on my former car, I'm going to get one anyway.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:34 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

I have some pictures somewhere. Inside the motor is a weird looking piece where power comes in. It's like two copper plates with some black stuff in between them. The 12 volts travels to one copper plate, through the black stuff and to the other plate and to one brush holder.

If you cut one copper plate short, peel it off, clean the black stuff off and solder the two together you eliminate that thing.

The main problem though IMO is the commutator gets clogged with brush material. This increases the voltage required to drive the motor.

I've fixed a few of my motors by eliminating the copper thing and cleaning the commutator.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just bought an ACI yesterday and going in today so hope it is decent....
Old 03-24-2011, 10:56 AM
On The Tree

I would just replace them. LT1 motors must have been the best because mine last 16 years before they went last year. I remember LS1 cars having them go bad several times while still under warranty.

The install is pretty easy, well, easier then you think probably. I just bought the cheapest ones from local parts store and they work great. Go all the way up and seal with the window perfectly.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:24 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by MeanGreenLT1
I would just replace them. LT1 motors must have been the best because mine last 16 years before they went last year. I remember LS1 cars having them go bad several times while still under warranty.
There might be something to this.

I never had an LT1 car, but the stock window motors in my '98 are faster than any I've ever seen. Sometimes it seems they are getting even faster with age. I bought a '99 and '00 car brand new, and neither of them ever had windows as fast as the stockers in my '98.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CJDZ24_Z28
I have personally in all the f-bodies I have had never used autotrix but it had worked for some people with their passenger windows. I usually just purchased new motors usually from Ebay

www.autotrix.net

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMjA7jsHJQw
Interesting.. I have been considering replacing both window motors because they are so freaking slow. But I have always thought that it seemed as if they were underpowered..

Does anyone know if directing more power with this kit to the passenger side window will also end up freeing up more power to the driver's side? Because both of mine are slow.

Anyone know if there is a cheaper place to buy the kit than.. http://www.autotrix.net/Product-Pass...Fix-Kit_1.aspx
Old 03-24-2011, 05:30 PM
On The Tree

I just replaced my drivers side motor with a cardone last week. Fitment was so so, but the speed of the motor is great. Then again, fitting these motors in almost blind is not much fun, so fitment my always be a pain.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
There might be something to this.

I never had an LT1 car, but the stock window motors in my '98 are faster than any I've ever seen. Sometimes it seems they are getting even faster with age. I bought a '99 and '00 car brand new, and neither of them ever had windows as fast as the stockers in my '98.
Aren't they going to be the same unit? Or are yall talking about getting one from a yard or something.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:49 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by The Mighty Texan
Aren't they going to be the same unit? Or are yall talking about getting one from a yard or something.
It's really just speculation that GM may have used better motors in earlier years, originally. I have no idea if this is actually the case though. But anything you buy now would in fact be the same for all years.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by T-Top
Interesting.. I have been considering replacing both window motors because they are so freaking slow. But I have always thought that it seemed as if they were underpowered..

Does anyone know if directing more power with this kit to the passenger side window will also end up freeing up more power to the driver's side? Because both of mine are slow.

Anyone know if there is a cheaper place to buy the kit than.. http://www.autotrix.net/Product-Pass...Fix-Kit_1.aspx
IIRC, the driver's side window was faster, but still not as fast as the passenger side with the autotrix.

As far as a cheaper option, someone bought all of the parts separately (do a search - I think it was on this site) but it wasn't much cheaper than buying the complete kit.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:22 PM
Banned

I just got 2 doors with good window motors. Which would be easier to replace the doors or the motors?
Old 03-24-2011, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you need new motors check out partstaxi.com they are a sponsor and I paid less than the cheap parts store brands and got a brand new gm motor. With parts taxi I'm able to replace many parts for less or the same as local cheap stuff. I also did autotrix but I made one myself. I don't recommend building your own, I just have a strong background in electricity. I think it cost A few bucks more for me to do it myself so just buy the kit.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well the ACI is very fast and seems good but only time will tell......
Old 03-24-2011, 11:58 PM
On The Tree

Thanks cheap guy. Was it a pretty reasonably simple install? The concept seems pretty easy and simple.