General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

General T-Top maintainence

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm guessing 303 isn't sold at local stores (Autozone, O'reileys, etc.) by what I've read in these post. Thanks for all the information. I really haven't even thought about using stuff on the t-top seals.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've noticed that my stripping is softer where the front overlap joint is. I mean the car piece is soft, not the t-top piece. It's also got small holes all over but just right there where the overlap is. Also, I've noticed a slight leak where the weather strip makes that hard angle up at the back side under the t-top. Only the passenger side leaks and just when it rains for a long time. I'm about to pull that screw out, lift the weather strip and squeeze some silicone under it and stick it back down. Either way, my t-top seals need some serious attention. Damn GM for this petty problem...but love em to death for that LS engine!
Old 04-19-2011, 02:41 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by FatZ28
I'm guessing 303 isn't sold at local stores (Autozone, O'reileys, etc.) by what I've read in these post. Thanks for all the information. I really haven't even thought about using stuff on the t-top seals.
303 Aerospace used to be sold on the shelf at Murray's, but that parts chain was bought out by O'reileys which does not carry it (at least not around here). Some of the Ace Hardware stores sell it, but usually they don't have it in stock.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xX-Z28-Xx
You can say that 100 more times.
Same here. I take them off any chance i get. However in the winter I go get a little soaked when turning a right hand bend, and that's with the t-tops on. Seems to collect in a channel somewhere. I need to look into that this summer. The seals look pretty good, but they must be perished somewhere. If prices are reasonable I may try to source a complete weather strip set.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Again, for what it's worth 303 is NOT a dedicated rubber weather sealent protectant. It's a good all around product for rubber, vinyl, etc. But there are products out there that are specificaly designed for rubber weather stripping.

303 goes on my dash and door panels as well as the under hood plastics.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:39 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Striker
Again, for what it's worth 303 is NOT a dedicated rubber weather sealent protectant. It's a good all around product for rubber, vinyl, etc. But there are products out there that are specificaly designed for rubber weather stripping.

303 goes on my dash and door panels as well as the under hood plastics.
303 was designed for use on rubber (both synthetic and natural), plastics & vinyl; that includes weather stripping as well. Actually, it was originally designed for use in protecting rubber tires from UV damage and dry rot, so rubber is one of it's primary uses.

I had a long conversation with the tech support guys at 303 years ago (one guy inparticular who was extremely knowledgeable, I think his name was Roger), based on that and other research, and my own personal experience, I feel there is no better product for protecting ALL rubber/vinyl/plastic surfaces.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
303 was designed for use on rubber (both synthetic and natural), plastics & vinyl; that includes weather stripping as well. Actually, it was originally designed for use in protecting rubber tires from UV damage and dry rot, so rubber is one of it's primary uses.

I had a long conversation with the tech support guys at 303 years ago (one guy inparticular who was extremely knowledgeable, I think his name was Roger), based on that and other research, and my own personal experience, I feel there is no better product for protecting ALL rubber/vinyl/plastic surfaces.
Ask the fellas on autopia.org but seeing how you and I are so much alike, you are probably a registered member there lol!

303 is great. I'll still continue to use it. But there are better suited products, after all, technology in the detailing world is changing faster than ever.

My next purchase will be the Wurth Rubber Protectant. Never had a product from them, but they are world known for their stuff.

http://www.autogeek.net/wurth-rubber-care.html
Old 04-19-2011, 01:56 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Striker
Ask the fellas on autopia.org but seeing how you and I are so much alike, you are probably a registered member there lol!

303 is great. I'll still continue to use it. But there are better suited products, after all, technology in the detailing world is changing faster than ever.

My next purchase will be the Wurth Rubber Protectant. Never had a product from them, but they are world known for their stuff.

http://www.autogeek.net/wurth-rubber-care.html
Yeah, I'm registered on that site as well, but I don't really post there.

I'm sure there are several fine products for use on rubber, but I don't agree that 303 is necessarily inferior to the others you've mentioned. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:44 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
This is the stuff to use.

I think Armor All has been reformulated since those days. It's not really harmful any longer, but it doesn't offer the same level of protection as 303. Only problem with 303 is trying to find it at local stores these days. I'm probably going to have to order it on line next time I need some.
I also agree, 303 protectant is god stuff, hard to find and expensive tho, but I'd rather pay the extra than have my T Tops leak or my dash pad crack

Quick Reply: General T-Top maintainence