General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Excited for a new car!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Excited for a new car!

Today while I was on my lunch break an older man probably in his mid 60's or late 70's came up to me and said "Hey you know what your Camaro needs? It needs leather interior." I said "Yeah I know" and he said "Me & my wife have a 02 silver SS and about 1.5 years ago we got in a front end collision and it has been sitting in my driveway ever since so I'll sell you my whole interior for $600." I was thinking "I'm cool since that's average for interior." I asked him if he'll be fixing the car or selling the motor/trans. Then he said "If you come tomorrow I'll sell you the whole car for $XXX. The car is all original with factory Goodyear tires AND it only has 10,000 miles!!!!

I just gave him a call to confirm the deal and details and I'll be meeting him tomorrow around 5:30pm. He also said "I have the pink slip in hand and it's a clean title and we are the original owners. He said he didn't fix it because the frame is a little "tweaked". So I'm wondering if this is to good to be true and thinking "It might be some kind of scam". I know to look for the WU8 on the door sticker, but what else should I look for before paying him? He said "The only reason I'm giving you such a good deal is because I see you take care of your car and I can appreciate that."

He has only sold the TB off of his car. I hope everything checks out tomorrow and I bring it home. Since his is an 02 will this motor be a direct swap on my 99 or will I need his wires?

EDIT:

Last edited by SSmokin99; 04-22-2011 at 11:42 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

direct swap...so now you dont even give a **** about the leather interior lol...
right place right time right old guy to meet
Old 04-21-2011, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ISMELLRICE
direct swap...so now you dont even give a **** about the leather interior lol...
right place right time right old guy to meet
Yep! ALL for a whopping $600. If things check out I'll post pics tomorrow in this thread.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:29 PM
TECH Addict

So hes offering the whole car for 600? or how much? I mean if the wreck was bad enough to twist the frame it probable was a little more then a fender bender. And I would be curious as to why he didn't get it fixed from insurance, don't really make sense to have a basically new car with 10K miles and not have full coverage on it
Old 04-21-2011, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

dont think about it! Act on it and get it asap. As long as he has the title and everything is legit....
Old 04-21-2011, 06:50 PM
TECH Resident

I love my Cloth>Leather seats suck. Have take alot of care to keep them from cracking and in winter they get so cold. And then in summer there so hot.

Cloth is nice mine looks brand new after all these years. Just my 2 cents

Buy the whole car for cheap and part it out on here.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

check it out and see.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
So hes offering the whole car for 600? or how much? I mean if the wreck was bad enough to twist the frame it probable was a little more then a fender bender. And I would be curious as to why he didn't get it fixed from insurance, don't really make sense to have a basically new car with 10K miles and not have full coverage on it
Yes, he's offering the WHOLE car for $600 and I think this is one of those "TO GOOD TO BE TRUE" things. I mean he's an older man though and I have his address, e-mail, #, & full name. This whole thing makes NO SENSE at all, but I'll take my chances just to check out the car. Really, who sells a car with 10k miles for $600. I'm wondering too why he didn't get it fixed and blah blah blah. He said he has the factory rims/tires on it still too. There has to be a catch.
Originally Posted by black_phoenix
dont think about it! Act on it and get it asap. As long as he has the title and everything is legit....
Tomorrow is the day! Anything I should look for, for scams? I'll be checking to see if all the vin #'s match.
Originally Posted by 1996firebirdformula
I love my Cloth>Leather seats suck. Have take alot of care to keep them from cracking and in winter they get so cold. And then in summer there so hot.

Cloth is nice mine looks brand new after all these years. Just my 2 cents

Buy the whole car for cheap and part it out on here.
If I do pick it up tomorrow for this price then it's time for a change!
Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
check it out and see.
Will do and I'll update tomorrow...
Old 04-21-2011, 08:23 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

F-body leather is not nice, it wears very poorly. I've had two with it, and two without it. I'd much rather have the cloth.

Sounds like a scam to me. First he wants $600 for just the interior, and then $600 for the whole car?
Old 04-21-2011, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Subscribed for possible disaster thread...
Old 04-21-2011, 08:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
F-body leather is not nice, it wears very poorly. I've had two with it, and two without it. I'd much rather have the cloth.

Sounds like a scam to me. First he wants $600 for just the interior, and then $600 for the whole car?
He said its been sitting there for over a year maybe he wants it gone. Won't hurt to check it out.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Subscribed
Old 04-21-2011, 08:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1996firebirdformula
He said its been sitting there for over a year maybe he wants it gone. Won't hurt to check it out.
Exactly my thoughts. When people get older, they buy stuff they THINK they want and later find out they really didn't need/want it, especially "toy" cars, motorcycles and boats. Sometimes they just want it gone to get rid of the memory of the mistake of buying it, and if they see someone who is "worthy" of taking it, I guess they consider it a good deed done.

What I think would be "uncool" is if the car is a good deal and then you immediately turn around and sell it for a huge profit. Of course you'd have the right to do it, but somehow that wouldn't seem right.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I looked up his address on google and guess what? I see his Camaro SS on the driveway with a car cover on it. The neighborhood looks nice too...
Old 04-21-2011, 09:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheap Guy
Exactly my thoughts. When people get older, they buy stuff they THINK they want and later find out they really didn't need/want it, especially "toy" cars, motorcycles and boats. Sometimes they just want it gone to get rid of the memory of the mistake of buying it, and if they see someone who is "worthy" of taking it, I guess they consider it a good deed done.

What I think would be "uncool" is if the car is a good deal and then you immediately turn around and sell it for a huge profit. Of course you'd have the right to do it, but somehow that wouldn't seem right.

That is the way life goes and if he can roll it over and make some $$ more power to him... Capitolism at it's best.... As long as he parts it out for a fair market value price I think it is great Wish I ran up on this deal...

EDIT: BTW I love my leather and will be replacing my torn driver panel in the next month... 13 years and 114K and it has worn well..
Old 04-21-2011, 09:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

make sure you don't go alone, you don't know who else is in that house with him (worse case). Also make sure the car is actually his.

Not to sound paranoid or trying to be a comedian...but I don't trust old dudes after watching SAW.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:05 PM
On The Tree

Yes, take me with you as I will offer him a grand more than you

Very lucky! Keep us updated.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:25 PM
Staging Lane

i had some old dude try to scam me when i was buying my van,sounds too good but good luck.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:36 PM
Launching!

Let me get that spoiler...
Old 04-21-2011, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
make sure you don't go alone, you don't know who else is in that house with him (worse case). Also make sure the car is actually his.

Not to sound paranoid or trying to be a comedian...but I don't trust old dudes after watching SAW.
I'm bringing my girlfriend and her friends. My girls name is 1911 and her friends are named .45 ACP.