General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

which LSx car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I would consider an 03/04 Cobra as well, it can be placed right in between the LS2 GTO/C5 Z06 IMO. Sort of has the best of both worlds.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd take any GTO over the cobra.... Cobras aren't the greatest handlers, even worse then the goats, and the way you sit in the car....thats the main thing I couldn't get over, I had to be far up in the dash.

Easy to make power out of, but doing AutoX you won't really like that car....plus they feel cheap inside....really the best thing about a 03/04 cobra is the motor.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

If you have the money to seriously consider a vette then thats the hands down winner in my book. Already comes lightweight with suspension and easier to work on under the hood. If you dont wanna spend that kinda money then a 4th gen f body for sure. Thats my ~~~~~~~~~~~/.02 lol
Old 05-01-2011, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

No Summerwolf, I still think the Cobra would be a good alternative. I would actually consider one over an LS2 GTO now that I think about it. It's lighter, and bone stock it's going to put down a little more power than a GTO would. It's also extremely cheap and easy to get the Cobra's up around the 450rwhp mark.

And since handling is in the equation here, with a few suspension components, the Cobra's can handle nicely on the stock IRS, and we all know the straight line performance is there. I would much rather be out on the Road Course or Auto X in a Cobra than I would a GTO soley because of the weight differences between the two.

The interior/comfort subject is mainly all subjective so I won't get into all of that, nor does it really matter too much with these types of cars, they are meant for the purpose of performance, not luxury.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

WOW....

Cobra - Coupe: 3,665 lb

GTO -3725 lbs

There goes your lightweight theory....

The cobra has a 60/40 weight distribution where the goat has a 53/47

Both motors are cheap and easy to make power out of....obviously the cobra has forged internals and a blower so yeah that adds up...I agree, I said the good thing about the car is its motor.

Handling.... The GTO outhandles the cobra and with the weight distribution and coilovers being thrown into the equation you're pretty much guaranteeing on the GTO being a better car to toss around unless you've bumped the cobras output significantly. Even still most people on a road course would rather have an NA car that won't blower heat soak after a few runs.

The GTO is actually a "grand touring" car and has a fantastic interior, so yes it is worth mentioning. The cobra has a stock mustang interior that is cheap....the GTO is filled with leather and alcantra, one of the best interiors put out in any GM car.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:20 PM
TECH Regular

c5 z06. i have had an 02 for about 6 months now, and it is absolutely incredible. and being a gm tech i get to drive the gto's a lot, i wouldnt bother with the 04, cause why get that if the 05-06 has the ls2, which is a beast of a motor.. the power is amazing, the interior comfort is great too.. but if your going to race, the z06 was built for that, and it is pretty comfortable as well.. but either way you'll be happy!
Old 05-01-2011, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I hate that statement.... "Why bother with the 04" Seriously...its the same car, same platform, the LSX in any form can make power and he said he is going to modify it, so get the car with the best deal. The LS2 and LS1 GTOs run with 2-3 tenths of each other stock for stock at the drag strip so the power is definitely not that "amazing" from the factory.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Summerwolf
WOW....

Cobra - Coupe: 3,665 lb

GTO -3725 lbs

There goes your lightweight theory....

The cobra has a 60/40 weight distribution where the goat has a 53/47

Both motors are cheap and easy to make power out of....obviously the cobra has forged internals and a blower so yeah that adds up...I agree, I said the good thing about the car is its motor.

Handling.... The GTO outhandles the cobra and with the weight distribution and coilovers being thrown into the equation you're pretty much guaranteeing on the GTO being a better car to toss around unless you've bumped the cobras output significantly. Even still most people on a road course would rather have an NA car that won't blower heat soak after a few runs.

The GTO is actually a "grand touring" car and has a fantastic interior, so yes it is worth mentioning. The cobra has a stock mustang interior that is cheap....the GTO is filled with leather and alcantra, one of the best interiors put out in any GM car.
Until I see some valid proof that a bone stock LS2 GTO will handle better than a Cobra, I will stick by what I said, I still personally believe a Cobra would serve one better on an Auto X/Road Course than a GTO would. I also never said either cars were light, but I have to admit, I did think that the Cobra had a slightly bigger weight advantage over the GTO.

I have to also say, calling a GTO a "grand touring" car is a pretty big stretch
Old 05-01-2011, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I hate that statement.... "Why bother with the 04" Seriously...its the same car, same platform, the LSX in any form can make power and he said he is going to modify it, so get the car with the best deal. The LS2 and LS1 GTOs run with 2-3 tenths of each other stock for stock at the drag strip so the power is definitely not that "amazing" from the factory.
That is true

Not sure why so many people underrate the LS1 GTO's.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
Until I see some valid proof that a bone stock LS2 GTO will handle better than a Cobra, I will stick by what I said, I still personally believe a Cobra would serve one better on an Auto X/Road Course than a GTO would. I also never said either cars were light, but I have to admit, I did think that the Cobra had a slightly bigger weight advantage over the GTO.

I have to also say, calling a GTO a "grand touring" car is a pretty big stretch
Why do you say calling the GTO a grand touring car is a stretch?? Thats the whole purpose of the car and the first two words the "GT" stand for in "GTO".

Please explain why a car with an iron block and a large heatsoaking blower would serve better on a road course or autoX course then a car with an aluminum block and a better weight distribution?

They apparently both do about .85 on the skidpad in stock form, but the GTO is on all season 245/40/17 BFGs and the Cobra came with 275 Goodyear Eagle F1s, so read in to that what you will, lol.

Last edited by Summerwolf; 05-01-2011 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:47 PM

I was advised against a SVT Cobra for possible daily driver

also, looking at strictly '06 GTO

C5 Z06
Old 05-01-2011, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, good luck. 06 BOMs are about the most expensive ones.... if you're limiting yourself to brazen thats the year to do it, but each year had specific rare colors that look good as well. Brazen, Barbados, and Cosmos seem to be the most expensive/hardest colors to get people to part with.

I still say C5Z....they're rated at 405 HP and have less weight with more tire.... its a no brainer here.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why do you say calling the GTO a grand touring car is a stretch?? Thats the whole purpose of the car and the first two words the "GT" stand for in "GTO".

Please explain why a car with an iron block and a large heatsoaking blower would serve better on a road course or autoX course then a car with an aluminum block and a better weight distribution?

They apparently both do about .85 on the skidpad in stock form, but the GTO is on all season 245/40/17 BFGs and the Cobra came with 275 inch Goodyear Eagle F1s, so read in to that what you will, lol.
While "GTO" does stand for "Gran Turismo Omologato" I believe, and it does have a very nice and well put together interior for what it is, I always just considered it to be a Muscle car.

But, whatever man, I could debate on and on about this, but in the end, both are nice cars with potential to do all kinds of stuff. I just personally prefer one over the other
Old 05-01-2011, 09:01 PM
Launching!

C5 Z06 FTMFW! If you can afford it that is the only way to go here! It is the best of both worlds!

Vinny
Old 05-01-2011, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Grand tourer- "Grand tourers differ from standard two-seat sports cars in typically being engineered as larger, and heavier, while emphasizing comfort over straight-out performance or spartan accommodations. Historically, most GTs have been front-engined with rear-wheel drive, which creates more space for the cabin than mid-mounted engine layouts. Softer suspensions, greater storage, and more luxurious appointments add to their driving appeal. "

Even my insurance counts it as a "touring" vehicle....saves money, lol.

http://www.kbb.com/used-cars/pontiac...l-value/review
Old 05-01-2011, 09:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RomanLSx
Hey guys.

Looking at getting a new car. Really want a V8 RWD and manual. I have no real preference to import/euro/domestic. But at the moment LS1/2 t-56 powered cars are a much better deal. Or so it appears.

I've looked into STi/Evo/S2000, E46 M3, but the cost of these cars, plus maintaining them, and aftermarket mods ... add up.

I've looked at LS1 swapped S14's and RX-7 FD"s - and cost of nice examples is as much as nice factory LS powered car.

I know that cars with these engines and transmissions are Camaro SS, WS6, GTO, Corvette, Z06.

I want to be able to take this car to autocross, potential track day. Mostly, just a NICE weekend cruiser/fun car.
If you honestly want to be competitive in autox, skip the GTO, the Fbody is a much more competitive car (believe it or not) and basically dominates F-stock class (and are now finally getting competition from the new 5.0 Mustangs). Another plus side to the Fbody is its dirt cheap to mod and make competitive compared to other cars. Simple bolt on suspension parts (like a Strano handling package), good brake pads and rotors, and some r-compound tires and you will have a surprisingly great handling car. Im on street tires (Nt05s) and was running with C5s and C5 Z06 with the same tire, and Im a bolt ons/Koni/Strano car, simple stuff nothing "custom", coilovers not needed. With these simple mods its truly a completely different car.
A Vette is going to be a more expensive car, but obviously have much more potential, already has great suspension/brakes, weight balance and is lighter.

Now, my first "mods" would be coilovers and nice set of tires. So should I bother with Z06, or stay with a plain Corvette? Not interested in "special" packages of Z06. Same mods would apply to the GTO.
Which ever you go with be careful with mods (check the class rules and see what is allowed) and don't just buy whatever without researching if its right for the job. For example there are a lot of drag coilovers that claim to be "ok" for handling but are far from it (QA1s are a perfect example) - things like this will ruin handling and ride.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:42 AM
TECH Regular

Roman,

It all depends on where you want to spend your hard earned money. Here is my experience with cars that I've owned, and a car I forgot about that I will mention.

2000 Trans Am Firehawk A4: Awesome car! It actually handled really well for a stock 3600 lbs car. It was fun to play with in the corners, but ended up being a better straight line car.

2002 Trans Am WS6 M6: Awesome car! It didn't handle as well as the Firehawk, but was a great straight line car.

2000 Corvette FRC M6: This is the one I forgot about! It handles just about the same as the ZO6! Basically, a detuned ZO6. And they can be had for much less! A great handling car in stock form for autocross, etc.

2002 Corvette ZO6: This is the crown jewel for daily, autocross, looks, etc! I really do miss mine. I love my '08 ZO6, and it is a definite upgrade to the C5Z, but amazingly, they handle very similar!

2004 Mystichrome Cobra: This is definitely not a autocross car. It can be modded to be a beast, but is very quirky. The seating position is sooo weird. It was a fun car to own, but much better for straight line.

2005 GTO: This one I actually didn't owned. Just watched over it for a little bit. It was a very nice car, so I'm not knocking it, but it didn't hold a candle to the Z. It does handle better than the F-bodies though. They are unique, but the looks are just too outdated to me.

Honorable mention in case you need more room:

2003 Ford Lightning: What a fun truck to own! It handled great for a truck and was quite quick. But, it was a gas guzzler back then, and would be horrible now with gas prices. :\

2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer SS: Simply a badass SUV. It handled pretty well for a 4700 SUV and was damn quick! I actually miss this vehicle quite a bit.

There is a lot of choices out there. If you haven't test driven all of the vehicles you are thinking about, that should be the first place to start. We can advise you all day, but until you have some seat time, you will never really know what you want.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:07 PM

that sounds good

I'm only interested in getting an idea what to shoot for at the moment

the only f-body I've been in was a '96 Firebird V6 ... and it was auto ... and I wasn't even driving

also, there really aren't that many GTO's or Corvettes that I could actually drive to get a feel for them; I mean, maybe one of the local Corvette owners could let me drive theirs, but I don't think there are any Z06's around; hardly any '05-06 GTO's around period

I'm in Upstate NY

also, prices on these things are HIGH, so I'm looking at cars from "southern" states, a bit cheaper, and a lot of them have "accident" with Carfax

I'm also not extremely picky about anything, the autocross stuff is going to be rare, so will be track days, I doubt I will take it to the strip - but if/when I do, I want to be able to have some fun and not think about "what if's"

going to look around some more

is there a huge difference between a plain Corvette and Z06? if stickies and coils added to the plain one?

just looking for some kind of general direction, I'm really just looking for a great all arounder
Old 05-03-2011, 10:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by StuntmanMike
Somewhat common or not, a Vette is still a really nice car. No matter how many of them I see, a Vette ALWAYS catches my eye and turns my head.

As far as F-Bodies, production number aside, I feel like the WS6 T/A is the most common, followed by the SS's. It seems that I see them everywhere. Now at the track or club meets I see more Camaro's, but on a daily basis more WS6's.

I'm sure the most common is the Z28, but I really don't notice them unless they're modded, they seem to blend in very well. Then the Formula and the Firehawks and other special editions are the rarest.

To the OP, I'd go C5Z all the way. Even if it costs more than the GTO, you'll be dollars ahead since the car your starting with is a much better handler. And who cares if you see alot of them. There's a reason for that...they're awesome!!

I agree with you 100%. The Corvette is just better, nicer, a step up you could say. Worth the extra money, everything like that. Great car. I can't say enough great things about mine. I'm seeing some good prices for them out there as well (helping someone look).
Old 05-03-2011, 10:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RomanLSx
is there a huge difference between a plain Corvette and Z06? if stickies and coils added to the plain one?
Regular C5 actually had more options on the interior, can be much nicer but personally I prefer the Z06 interior, C5 you could get sport seats, people complain big time about the Z seats. I don't mind them but I have not driven the Z for very long periods of time, and I do have a spine issue for what it's worth (life at 50 is going to be awesome).

01Z is still an LS1, 02 is LS6. All C5s are LS1. Think of the Z06 as the "race car" version. Different suspension, wheels, not a hatch, I'm sure all of this has been mentioned and these guys can help you with the more tech stuff.

I'm sure if you are shopping you can see there is not always a price different between the two cars (this is more my forte). A Z06 is not always more than C5. Don't ask me why. That kind of sense doesn't apply here. I guess it's just how they are. Also, an 01Z06 is not always cheaper than 02-04 Z06's. This being said, don't expect to get away paying less for an FRC (fixed roof coupe - looks of a Z06 before there was a Z06).