General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

which LSx car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which LSx car?

Hey guys.

Looking at getting a new car. Really want a V8 RWD and manual. I have no real preference to import/euro/domestic. But at the moment LS1/2 t-56 powered cars are a much better deal. Or so it appears.

I've looked into STi/Evo/S2000, E46 M3, but the cost of these cars, plus maintaining them, and aftermarket mods ... add up.

I've looked at LS1 swapped S14's and RX-7 FD"s - and cost of nice examples is as much as nice factory LS powered car.

I know that cars with these engines and transmissions are Camaro SS, WS6, GTO, Corvette, Z06.

I want to be able to take this car to autocross, potential track day. Mostly, just a NICE weekend cruiser/fun car.

The particular 2 cars I am looking at are 2001-2004 Corvette Z06 and 2006 GTO. I know that Corvette will still have LS1 but GTO will have LS2. Both rated at 400hp, both have t-56 manuals.

Now, my first "mods" would be coilovers and nice set of tires. So should I bother with Z06, or stay with a plain Corvette? Not interested in "special" packages of Z06. Same mods would apply to the GTO.

So I wanted to hear/read some opinions to see what you guys think/recommend. Corvette would be a much more "exotic" then GTO. But it also costs a few more thousand - which would be mod money for the GTO.

So I'm looking for some direction.

Thanks guys!

Roman
Old 05-01-2011, 12:29 PM
Staging Lane

The zo6 is definitely the best bet as far as autocross and track days. I believe they have aluminum frames so a zo6 is not just a regular vette with better suspension. It's all personal preference. For me it would be the zo6 hands down, but you really should test drive each to find out what you really like.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 506 Likes on 365 Posts

Expand your choices to include the 2005 GTO. I believe the '04 was the only GTO with the LS1. The '05 or '06 will be incredible 'bang for the buck' compared to anything with Corvette in the title. Also smart to stay away from the M3 despite how nice they are. Very expensive to maintain unless you are great at working on them yourself, then I might reconsider. Have fun searching. That is half the fun sometimes.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:52 PM
TECH Regular

C5 ZO6 with out a doubt!! I had a 2002 EB ZO6 and I miss it. It was one of the best complete package cars I have ever owned. Easy to drive and it handled like it was on rails in stock form. If you want a car you can drive everyday, and take to the track for autocross, that's the ticket.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

C5Z.... not only is it much faster then a stock GTO, you will never get a goat to handle like a C5Z.

If you're looking at a GTO and you're planning on modifying them, the 04-06 are all pretty similiar in performance so expand the search. You can find smoking deals on the GTOs right now.

Expect a GOOD low mileage GTO of any year to be around 15-16 K and expect a good unabused C5Z to be in the low 20's.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the zo6 will have a LS6 motor.. better heads (243 casting) and a differnt cam spec, plus a better intake then a 97-2000 vette ls1 intake
Old 05-01-2011, 04:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i agree with getting a c5Z. easy to make killer power and handle great. they still look great even today imo.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My choice would be the C5 Z06. It's going to serve you a LOT better overall on those days you take it to an autocross, the car will just have an overall much lighter and nimble feel to it most of the time as well, which means it's probably a little more fun on the street too. But, the price differences between the two seem to be pretty drastic, the C5 Z06's seem to be a lot more expensive, at least in my area. You could get a really nice LS2 GTO for what you would be paying for a C5 Z06 without a ton of miles. But I do think the extra money would be worth it for what you want out of the car.

The LS2 GTO's are very good cars though, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if you change your mind. Either that or an 03/04 Cobra would be really nice as well.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:53 PM
Staging Lane

only thing i dont like about corvettes in general is that they are unfortunately like mustangs these days. I see them EVERYWHERE. Tons of them running around EVERYWHERE. z06 or not. its like saying cobra instead of mustang. its still a mustang, just like a z06 is still a corvette. I like the GTO. I dont see a whole lot of them and theyre the most comfortable of the LSx Choices. WS6 is the rarer of the LSx choices and very nice. I feel like when i get back from the Stan i'll be missing my WS6 alot. I for one sold my WS6 to get an FD that i plan on LSx swapping. FD for the rarity. I'm also looking at 4 door cars and STI would be my choice. EVO and S2K arent really costly to own or maintain. No more costly than any of your other choices. The M3 is nice, but yes it will be expensive. If i could afford it, i would have one though. Theyre nice. But you should just try to get in the cars yourself and choose for yourself.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 89BluIrocZ
only thing i dont like about corvettes in general is that they are unfortunately like mustangs these days. I see them EVERYWHERE. Tons of them running around EVERYWHERE. z06 or not. its like saying cobra instead of mustang. its still a mustang, just like a z06 is still a corvette. I like the GTO. I dont see a whole lot of them and theyre the most comfortable of the LSx Choices. WS6 is the rarer of the LSx choices and very nice. I feel like when i get back from the Stan i'll be missing my WS6 alot. I for one sold my WS6 to get an FD that i plan on LSx swapping. FD for the rarity. I'm also looking at 4 door cars and STI would be my choice. EVO and S2K arent really costly to own or maintain. No more costly than any of your other choices. The M3 is nice, but yes it will be expensive. If i could afford it, i would have one though. Theyre nice. But you should just try to get in the cars yourself and choose for yourself.
Somewhat common or not, a Vette is still a really nice car. No matter how many of them I see, a Vette ALWAYS catches my eye and turns my head.

As far as F-Bodies, production number aside, I feel like the WS6 T/A is the most common, followed by the SS's. It seems that I see them everywhere. Now at the track or club meets I see more Camaro's, but on a daily basis more WS6's.

I'm sure the most common is the Z28, but I really don't notice them unless they're modded, they seem to blend in very well. Then the Formula and the Firehawks and other special editions are the rarest.

Oh, and what's a FD?

To the OP, I'd go C5Z all the way. Even if it costs more than the GTO, you'll be dollars ahead since the car your starting with is a much better handler. And who cares if you see alot of them. There's a reason for that...they're awesome!!
Old 05-01-2011, 05:14 PM
10 Second Club

i would say Z06 hand down but the GTO is a very great and underated car. i dont think you will be dissapointed with either one
Old 05-01-2011, 05:30 PM
TECH Regular

only thing i dont like about corvettes in general is that they are unfortunately like mustangs these days. I see them EVERYWHERE. Tons of them running around EVERYWHERE. z06 or not. its like saying cobra instead of mustang. its still a mustang, just like a z06 is still a corvette. I like the GTO. I dont see a whole lot of them and theyre the most comfortable of the LSx Choices. WS6 is the rarer of the LSx choices and very nice.
Huh!? ZO6's are not your average Corvette. You may see Corvette's everywhere, but you don't see a lot of ZO6's. And, they are not rare. As for WS6's, they are not even close to being rare or rarer. ZO6's are built for the road course, and GTO's are built more for straight line. There is also a huge weight difference between the Z and the GTO. The GTO and Firebird/Camaro don't hold a candle to the C5 ZO6.

Last edited by 1BDHWK; 05-01-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

^^I agree, and either way, there is a reason why a lot of people have Corvette's, they're very versatile and fun cars. They appeal to a lot of different people. Also, I wanted to mention with the proper tire/suspension setup the GTO's can and will handle decently with the IRS. But, it's just much easier to just jump in a base C5 or C5 Z and rip up the road course/Auto X with the factory suspension setup and a stickier set of tires.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by StuntmanMike

Oh, and what's a FD?
93+ Mazda RX7.

I never said Vettes werent nice. I love vettes, specially when they are modded. Its just the fact that i saw them everywhere. Specially when you live on or near a military base. Very popular car with the single military members. I like them. I've drove them, I owned a 99. It was nice. Just too common.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

93+ Mazda RX7.
Oh that's cool, that'll be a great car with a LSX. I always liked those, and the RX8's too, except for that stupid Wankel under the hood.

I think a LS3 powered RX8 would be amazing. Prob get better mileage than stock too!
Old 05-01-2011, 06:05 PM
TECH Regular

I never said Vettes werent nice. I love vettes, specially when they are modded. Its just the fact that i saw them everywhere. Specially when you live on or near a military base. Very popular car with the single military members.
This is very true!
Old 05-01-2011, 06:24 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah idk anything about the rotary. Cant even tell you how they work to be honest. Its a sharp car and light and quick for whats under the hood. Havent got to drive it yet because i'm still in Afghanistan and bought it like last month. Planning a LS2 swap, or if i can wait til my next deployment, LS7 maybe? HeHe.

sorry for the temporary hijack.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:14 PM

ah so I see the Corvette VS Z06 issues is strong here ... I tried to explain this to my brother, he kept saying that Corvette's are just too common

but a Brazen Orange GTO ... ... though my original choice was Yellow Jacket

still, given the planned mod list, do you think I'm going to miss out on much if I go for the GTO over Z06?

or is the Z06, stock, worth the extra coin over the GTO?

GTO is going to be much rarer, especially given the color choice, so maybe factor that in as well

guess that's my main issue now

I've also looked at SRT-8's, but they just don'e seem to be as fast as the LSx's ... lack of manual gearbox ... and even heavier ... wouldn't be bad for a daily/highway cruiser though, I bet
Old 05-01-2011, 07:28 PM
Staging Lane

I liked my Vette, it was quick, sharp, and fun. Decently comfortable for what it was, its like a larger version of my RX7. but if i were to do it again, i wouldnt have got it because it was a waste of time and i ended up losing money on it. I sold it to get my WS6 because at the time i didnt see many of them. Then i moved to fort hood where they were a dime a dozen and i sold it as well. If by some chance the 9k 93+ rx7's left registered in the US start showing themselves in my specific location i'll probably sell it too.

The GTO is the most comfortable one and i dont really see a lot of them. I like them and would lean more towards the 05-06 for the 6.0. If your really dead set on a competitive auto-x car you shouldnt choose a GTO. if you want a comfortable powerful car that you can DD and still take to a track and have fun. Then its what you want.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

The vette is definitely worth the coin over the goat for what you say you're planning.

If you're thinking about a awd rally car the EVO is the best performer and the 4G63 is about the import equivalent to an LSX. Evo trounces the subaru competition pretty easily. The evo X is a much more sedated commuter car, lean towards the older IX....they're one of the best cars produced in the last 10 years honestly.

If I had the choice it would be

C5Z<GTO<EVO IX<Corvette

The C5z is the fastest and best handling stock for stock
The GTO is a cool, semi-rare comfortable touring car...not particularly quick, and not the best handler but a great all around car.
Evo IX.... incredible handling, cheap parts, if you know what you're doing you'll probably be the fastest in this thing. They're cheap to maintain and they make even a rookie driver look pro.
Corvette.... Meh, its a corvette....it handles well, and with coilovers it'll be great but....its no C5Z