General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Royal Purple ... Why do many dislike it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey UnleashedBeast
I'm considering moving up to Amsoil, what makes that your top tier oil ? if u don't mind me asking

I've heard good testimonials, but i hear alot of bogus talk too, I would like to put it to rest :/
Old 05-05-2011, 10:12 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UnleashedBeast
So someone forgot to check to make sure the old oil filter gasket came off the block, the new oil filter was screwed on, and the oil was able to leak past the double filter gasket. This is not a fault of the lubricant chosen. *Yes, I have made this mistake before, but caught it on first start up*

What specific lubricant was in the transmission. Max ATF? Synchromax?

I will tell you this. Red Line D4 and Amsoil Synthetic ATF are both much better choices for the T-56. I'm not a fan of Synchromax in the Tremec. I also had synchro failure with it.
there was no problem with the oil filter, i was told that the oil was being burned through the rings, i assure you i didn't double gasket it there was no oil leaking from anywhere that was the first thing we started looking for the underside of the car was clean as a whistle so i know it wasn't leaking out.

uuummm i believe it was max atf with synchromax or synchromesh, **** i cant remember exactly what it said thanks for steering me in the right direction im fixin to start using only ams oil ive heard way to much ggod stuff about it not to use it!!!!

Last edited by strokerblackhawk; 05-05-2011 at 10:19 AM.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didnt mean to come off as an idiot about the oil change light comment, just got a little confused. The light is not triggered by mileage, but by Engine revolutions and operating temperature. Some newer cars actually monitor the oil itself to trigger the light and I think I got them confused. I've owned my car for the last 20,000 miles and the only time the light came on was with the royal purple so I guess I jumped to conclusions without thinking it out. Oh and I change my oil every 3k-4k miles regardless of the light.

That being said, there is a lot of good info in this thread... Learn something new every day
Old 05-05-2011, 10:45 AM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Originally Posted by myk
F**k man, gotta get me a case of that Saxon Gold...
lmao.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WS6 Rampage
@ UnleashedBeast: ... Out of curiosity, any thoughts as to why people are claiming a significant and noticeable increase in valvetrain noise? ... A few years ago I used RP and noticed that immediately also. I didn't realize until I posted this thread that others noticed or had the same symptom as well. .. The sound kinda freaked me out. That's why I switched back to Mobile 1.

It's possible due to a lighter lubricant at 100*C specification. The LS1 prefers lubricants that are closer to a 40 grade oil, than the lighter 30 grades that are common. German Castrol was a heavy 30 grade when it was green, and I believe it's still a mid 30 grade now that it's gold. When I choose a 10W-30 lubricant for a LS1, I always check the cSt @ 100*C to make sure it's at least 10.8-11.0 or greater. Heavier lubricants quiet valve train.

Originally Posted by zrsnopro97
I didnt mean to come off as an idiot about the oil change light comment, just got a little confused. The light is not triggered by mileage, but by Engine revolutions and operating temperature. Some newer cars actually monitor the oil itself to trigger the light and I think I got them confused. I've owned my car for the last 20,000 miles and the only time the light came on was with the royal purple so I guess I jumped to conclusions without thinking it out. Oh and I change my oil every 3k-4k miles regardless of the light.

That being said, there is a lot of good info in this thread... Learn something new every day
Thanks for being a good sport about it. We are all here to learn something, and I like to help educate others about engine lubricants. No harm no foul.

Originally Posted by LeanPocket
hey UnleashedBeast
I'm considering moving up to Amsoil, what makes that your top tier oil ? if u don't mind me asking

I've heard good testimonials, but i hear alot of bogus talk too, I would like to put it to rest :/
The company doesn't cut corners in the formulation of their top tier true synthetic line. You get the best possible, no compromise.

Originally Posted by strokerblackhawk
uuummm i believe it was max atf with synchromax or synchromesh, **** i cant remember exactly what it said thanks for steering me in the right direction im fixin to start using only ams oil ive heard way to much ggod stuff about it not to use it!!!!
Use this in your transmission, and never look back. It will shift like butter.

Amsoil Synthetic ATF - only 33.55 a gallon at dealer cost

and never pay retail for Amsoil. Get it at dealer cost and become a preferred customer.

Preferred Customer

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
My car is noisier with Mobile 1 than Pennzoil Platinum and is quietest with Castrol Syntec (European formula). Doesn't mean Mobile 1 and PP are junk.

I was honestly shocked it went silent for the first 3-4k miles after the change to German Syntec, but now I will always try to use it just so I don't have to listen to lifter tick in the mornings.
You don't like the sound of the LS1 sewing machine? Neither did I. =)

GC 0W-30 "green" also made my valve train very quiet in my 99 LS1. I was saddened when they reformulated to "gold". =(

Last edited by UnleashedBeast; 05-05-2011 at 12:20 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by UnleashedBeast
GC 0W-30 was the oil to find when it was the old "green" formulation. Now that it's "gold", we aren't so sure it's as robust as it once was. Now it's believed to be a hydrocracked group III base stock (highly refined petroleum) and not a true synthetic. Depending on your climate, a 0W-30 lubricant may not be required. I recommend a robust group IV 10W-30 for southern state LS1 engines when temps do not drop lower than 32*F

Good choice on the Ea064 filter. I will not use any other oil filter on any of my cars (Ea011).
It is not a hydrocracked group III. Mobil 1 is a hydrocracked oil, and I hope your not even comparing that to GC. It is a true synthetic(IV) and will not shear like a group III oil. Detergent oils all have coloring formulations that make them distinct from one another, so if color is to be the deciding factor we are all in trouble. German Castrol has been tested over and over again in both green and gold and it still produces the same numbers now as it did back then. Bob the Oil Guy is a great site but if the speculation about GC becoming a group III has started over there then it has lost my recognition as a knowlegable site.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Chaotic Deconstruct
It is not a hydrocracked group III.
That's why I said "rumored", not conclusive. I believe the TBN and viscosity were both decreased under the new formulation, not that it was a big difference. Do you have a recent UOA on it, would love to see one.

Mobil 1 is a hydrocracked oil, and I hope your not even comparing that to GC.
No comparison, Mobil 1 is junk compared to what it was 10+ years ago. I would take GC as a first choice every time.

It is a true synthetic(IV) and will not shear like a group III oil.
Do you have a MSDS that shows it to be a group IV? I've yet to find one.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:02 PM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=UnleashedBeast;14875324]That's why I said "rumored", not conclusive. I believe the TBN and viscosity were both decreased under the new formulation, not that it was a big difference. Do you have a recent UOA on it, would love to see one.

http://www.c66racing-synthetics.com/...20Analysis.htm

This is a UOA that shows what the results between the two oils in question where in a 99 Corvette. Take them with a grain of salt because this is an Amsoil site that is posting the results of this test. The lowest TBN I have seen out of my GC was 4.9 at 8,500 miles, but this test yields a lower result. Is there bias by Amsoil, possibly, but the results could be entirely factual. One will never know.

The presence of molybdenum is higher with Amsoil by a very minute amount, but the Magnesium count is through the roof compared to the Calcium based formula of GC. Magnesium is a stronger base metal detergent than Calcium, which results in a higher TBN for Amsoil than any other UOA I have looked at for a Calcium based oil. But there is a downside to this high TBN as Magnesium is known to cause upper cylinder wear and has the ability to gel where as Calcium based formulations do not.

Again, I am not saying one is better than the other, but GC is cheaper (especially if you have to have Amsoil shipped to you) and will bring you results similar to Amsoil for less money. I have never seen an MSDS for German Castrol, but I have never really looked that hard either so they may be available. As for GC being a Group III oil, well I hope it doesn't turn out that way for Amsoil's sake because the GC easily compares to Amsoil in terms of quality and that wouldn't look very good on have a Group III neck and neck with a Group IV.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Chaotic,

You do realize that the test was performed from March 2005 till October 2005. There were testing the original "green" formulation that was known to be group IV. I agree that it should perform as well. That was also Amsoil's old 0W-30 formulation (series 2000). It's been reformulated twice since then.

My question is about the new "gold" formulation, and it's performance. Thanks for the link, it's a good keeper for me.

The numbers are legit, as the links under the testing results contain the actual UOAs from Blackstone.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:29 PM
Staging Lane

If I am able to locate one of my own I will will scan a copy and post it up. As for changing their formula one can only "guess" because we don't even know what the first "green" formula consisted of. Like I said earlier this is not a debate as to which one is best, but that each works in their own way and somehow produce a nearly identical level of performance when factored out. Hopefully I can find some of my old UOA I have laying around to better bring this to light.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WS6 Rampage
Hmm, what does a quart of Amsoil run?
I just paid $9.99 for a quart yesterday 5w30.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:36 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LeanPocket
hey UnleashedBeast

I have been using amsoil since 2004 and it has been good. Kinda pricey, but oil is the lifeline of an engine.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:31 PM
TECH Veteran

I ran RP once in mine. Went to change it at 3k and it still felt good. But never used it again.

The seocnd link posted was pretty eye opening. But I always ran Castrol Syntech when I first bought my car, but switched to M1 after a couple years. (bought in 03) Been running M1 since then. The BITOG postings about the M1 filteration and oil life was enough to open my eyes when I switched to M1.

Last edited by bayer-z28; 05-05-2011 at 09:45 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

I use RP in my engine, transmission, and rear end. I don't have any complaints but after reading this I feel paranoid and like I should change it out..... I always thought RP was good. What about mobile 1's ATF and rear end oil? Any good?
Old 05-06-2011, 05:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Castrol Euro 0w40 and I haven't had any usage problems like I did with the Mobil 1. I'll probably stick with the Castrol from now on.

Quick Reply: Royal Purple ... Why do many dislike it?