General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Is the LS1 market still strong?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 06:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LS1 - Forever! ... hopefully.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The current Camaro's issue is weight not power plant. It gives up several hundred pounds to the Mustang, correct me if I'm wrong, all in the name to meet crash standards I don't think the current Mustang meets yet. As of right now Ford's 5.0 mod motor is less powerful than GM's 6.2, about equal to the 9 year old LS6, and gets no better gas mileage or runs any smoother.

Truth is GM isn't going to drop the LSx anytime soon because it works, and the design is paid for. What they are going to do is change displacement, include variable valve timing, cylinder deactivation, rework heads/cams/computers, add FI, etc. Just like Ford has done with it's modular line. Lucky for us a lot of stuff is backwards compatable with minimal work and a lot of the old tricks still work for the new Gen IVs. Which means aftermarket company's parts have an expanding market, even as the F-bodies die.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:59 PM
Launching!

Not meaning to go off topic... but to be honest they should have made the 5th gen camaro lighter... my SS weighs 3400 pounds puts down 360 rwhp and I gotta say it flies... I can only imagine what a car weighing an even 3k to 3200 pounds with 430 would put down. Corvettes would respect

As for on topic..

It better never got out of date because I plan to keep my ls1/ls6 forever and ever... Im going to need to replace parts someday.. in the distant future ;D reliability is better than my old iron block was.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:04 PM
cpo
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MikeWS6
A company just needs to come out with a non metal intake at a good price. Then id be happy The fast 102 price is beyond crazy.
Yep, completely agree. The FAST intake prices are the pinnacle of greed. Can't speak for the new 5.0 aftermarket, but every other year before has enjoyed very reasonable part prices.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:43 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by The Mighty Texan
^This. I believe the Ls market is stronger than the f-body market however.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Doesnt make sense to me for GM to try and go smaller displacement to compete with the mustang. The larger displacement LS engines get awesome fuel economy for what they are, and can be made to idle and drive like a family car.