General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

First night with the Z06... WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011 | 02:33 AM
9 Second Club

Nice. Congrats!
Old 06-02-2011 | 09:52 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Cstone812
That z06 looks sick bro but I think I would much rather have my f-body.
I take it you have never ridden in a corvette, let alone driven one then?

Trust me I love my F-body, I wanted to go fast in a straight line, and that is what they excel at. Now I am not saying an F-body can't be made to carve, as multiple people on this site do that with theirs, and GMHTP was victorious in walking a brand new STI with their STI killer Trans Am. Only thing is the corvette would out handle the new sti with no suspension mods other than a set of sticky wide tires which the STI would be appropiately equipped with also.

Vette's are a refined rocket, and that is about the best way to describe them, f-body's are raw and unchartered like the Bering Sea whereas the Vette reminds me of hawaii's big 25 and 30 ft surf, crashing and rolling with so much force, but beautiful and majestic at the same time.

This is the what makes an F-body an F-body, and a Vette a Vette. It's all about revision and refinement. Although if luxury performance is what I was after I'd go with an 09-up CTS-V, but that's just me
Old 06-02-2011 | 10:12 AM
TECH Resident

I always use to dislike Corvettes for some reason, that was until I rode in one. Now, take a guess why I own one. Even though I've been in many, many different F-bodies, from stock to wildly modded rocket ships, I still have no desire to own one. It's all personal preference when it comes to these cars. They are both awesome in their own ways.
Old 06-02-2011 | 02:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I love both of them. No reason to hate on either. They are the best performance cars GM has produced, and both have a proud legacy behind them.
Old 06-02-2011 | 03:39 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Bramlok
I love both of them. No reason to hate on either. They are the best performance cars GM has produced, and both have a proud legacy behind them.
I agree.
Old 06-02-2011 | 05:33 PM
Banned

C5 parked next to a ws6 t/a, I think the t/a wins. It looks meaner and is still plenty quick to leave most cars seeing tailights.
Old 06-02-2011 | 08:29 PM
10 Second Club
15 Year Member

Everytime I see a vette on the road theres always some old man driving miss daisy in the damn thing. They never wave back, they never wanna race, wtf fun is it the car isnt a god damned cadillac! Get on it old timer!
I wish I could afford one.
Old 06-02-2011 | 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
Everytime I see a vette on the road theres always some old man driving miss daisy in the damn thing. They never wave back, they never wanna race, wtf fun is it the car isnt a god damned cadillac! Get on it old timer!
Know what you mean, nearly every beauty of a vette (from stingrays and up) in my area is driven by some old farmer who travels at the speed of a tractor with his aged wife. Then have the tenacity to look at you cross for admiring the car.
Old 06-03-2011 | 12:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
I take it you have never ridden in a corvette, let alone driven one then?

Trust me I love my F-body, I wanted to go fast in a straight line, and that is what they excel at. Now I am not saying an F-body can't be made to carve, as multiple people on this site do that with theirs, and GMHTP was victorious in walking a brand new STI with their STI killer Trans Am. Only thing is the corvette would out handle the new sti with no suspension mods other than a set of sticky wide tires which the STI would be appropiately equipped with also.

Vette's are a refined rocket, and that is about the best way to describe them, f-body's are raw and unchartered like the Bering Sea whereas the Vette reminds me of hawaii's big 25 and 30 ft surf, crashing and rolling with so much force, but beautiful and majestic at the same time.

This is the what makes an F-body an F-body, and a Vette a Vette. It's all about revision and refinement. Although if luxury performance is what I was after I'd go with an 09-up CTS-V, but that's just me
No ive never ridden in a vette or drove one I have just always been a huge camaro fan ever since I was 16. Not bashing on vettes at all I love vettes I just like the looks of a camaro more. The ls9 zr1 is ******* sick though. And yea I agree with the posts above it seems everytime I see a vette its some old guy driving it.
Old 06-03-2011 | 07:54 AM
11 Second Club

Very nice C5Z.

It's no F-body (but I think that's by design, isn't it?) and I don't see why that matter? It's like someone buying a Viper and then saying, oh hell, you could've made a Charger faster for less. Or someone getting the Ford GT and saying an 03/04 Cobra could be quicker for less money. That's true...but you're obviously missing the point. If you're going to use that argument then why eat a steak? You could eat Ramen and be just as full for less money.

Anyway, great looking car. For some reason the antenna seems distracting to me; but otherwise I just vote a light tint, maybe slight lowering.
Old 06-03-2011 | 08:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That's because they are enjoying the ride an not in a rush to get out of the car. You do know it is illegal to race on the street right?
Besides someone driving a vette does not have to prove the car is fast.
Old 06-03-2011 | 12:02 PM
10 Second Club
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by LSCha0s
That's because they are enjoying the ride an not in a rush to get out of the car. You do know it is illegal to race on the street right?
Besides someone driving a vette does not have to prove the car is fast.
When they are called out yes they do
Old 06-03-2011 | 12:12 PM
11 Second Club

Get real. It doesn't take much car these days to hang with your 12.0.

That's like saying you shouldn't have a truck unless you have a loaded trailer hooked up to it 24/7; or a 4x4 unless it's always off-road.

By your logic, I'd ask this: what are you doing with a pecker?
Old 06-03-2011 | 12:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't think my cars have ever been fast enough where I ran around pretending I had the fastest car in existence. I like to have enough power to get out of my own way. Would I like the faster car around? ..well hell yeah!! But in my experience the faster you make them the more time and money you have to spend on upkeep and repairs. I have gotten to the point I enjoy driving more than fixin. If you know what I mean?
The last fast car I had I couldn't run the A/C and I couldn't hear the radio.
That said I'M putting a 380 RWHP LSX in my C4 corvette. That should be nice power but very street able and !!A/C!!.
Old 06-03-2011 | 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

To the OP, great find and a sharp looking Z06!

We could go on for DAYS trying to compare and contrast a Z06 vs. a F-Body. For anyone that hasn't owned/driven both cars, you need to do it because otherwise it would be tough to truly understand. Despite having the same powerplant, the similarities stop right there.

The reality is that they're BOTH great cars that excel at completely different things.

One comparison I think helps illustrate the differences: My business partner has a 2005 C6 Z51 -- LS2 motor, bone stock. You can see the mods to my SS below.

1. At the track and going in a straight line on a highway, it isn't even close to being a race (SS wins). That being said, the Vette is bone stock and is still faster than most of what you run into on the roads.

2. Sound: When I start my car, everyone in the parking deck hears (and feels) it. Not that I'm vain and want everyone to hear my car, I simply like a loud exhaust with a nice cam lope. He can start his and no one even notices. That being said, he can carry on conversation while the car's running! Must be nice on date night!

3. Handling/Braking: We're both prepping for our first HPDE at Road Atlanta on Monday. I had a detailed checklist of things that NEEDED to be done and things that I WANTED to be done. Pretty large capital outlay on my part (shocks, brakes, tires, fluid maintenance, etc.). Sure, my car feels MUCH better, but it isn't even in the same ballpark. All he did for track prep was change the brake and clutch fluids -- it stops better, handles better and should be better prepared to handle the rigors of a day of full throttle driving in the Atlanta heat. Another point for the Corvette, hands down.

4. If I had to pull up for a business meeting, I'd prefer a bone stock Corvette -- it exudes class and sophistication without drawing the wrong type of attention. For recreational use, I'd prefer to drive the SS. It's loud, obnoxious, the ride is uncomfortable, the panels rattle, etc. but the car looks unique and the b*tch is fast!

One parting comment, I do still have my C4 Corvette and I love the car. What I can't stand is the "newer generation" of Corvette owners that have zero appreciation for the heritage of the line. Years ago, there was a sense of community amongst Corvette drivers. Everyone knew to waive. Almost 3/4 of the time now when I waive I end up getting a stare back from some ***** that thinks I have a problem with him. Get with the program and "Save the Wave"!
Old 06-04-2011 | 09:48 AM
10 Second Club
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by LSCha0s
I don't think my cars have ever been fast enough where I ran around pretending I had the fastest car in existence. I like to have enough power to get out of my own way. Would I like the faster car around? ..well hell yeah!! But in my experience the faster you make them the more time and money you have to spend on upkeep and repairs. I have gotten to the point I enjoy driving more than fixin. If you know what I mean?
The last fast car I had I couldn't run the A/C and I couldn't hear the radio.
That said I'M putting a 380 RWHP LSX in my C4 corvette. That should be nice power but very street able and !!A/C!!.
It comes down to spending all the money on the vette upfront vs dumping money into an f body to bring it to the vette level. Bottom line is overall its probably gonna be the same money in the end.
I personaly have more respect for someone who puts the work into an f body to make the car into what they want other than buying it the way it is. But hey, like I said, I wish I could afford a vette LOL.
Old 06-04-2011 | 04:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It comes down to spending all the money on the vette upfront vs dumping money into an f body to bring it to the vette level. Bottom line is overall its probably gonna be the same money in the end.
I personaly have more respect for someone who puts the work into an f body to make the car into what they want other than buying it the way it is. But hey, like I said, I wish I could afford a vette LOL.
I think you are missing the point. He likes the Vette better that an F-body. Also he doesn't like the Vette to offend you.
He just happens to. I naturally progressed to a Vette after owning like 6 2nd gen and 3 3rd gen and 2 4th gen Camaros. Like I said before I would own both if I could or one of each car in existence I'm a car nut . But in reality you can't compare the two stock for stock. And if I was looking for fastest ride for the money I would by a 7K bike.
I don't know If we are arguing or if we agree with one another.
Old 06-05-2011 | 12:28 PM
On The Tree

That C5Z looks sweet man, I just bought mine a couple months ago for 27K cash with 18K on the clock black/black bone stock. Did I pay too much? I only ask myself that when I'm NOT driving the car...

For all of you that keep calling the C5Z not a muscle car and the Corvette muscle cars died out with the Stingray might be because Corvettes are SPORTS CARS not MUSCLE CARS, aka all-around great car. Not a 1/4 mile track beast only muscle car, where mods are needed to make it only decently quick in the turns.
Old 06-05-2011 | 12:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Cstone812
That z06 looks sick bro but I think I would much rather have my f-body.
LOL!

c l u e l e s s

Nice ride OP. My cousin just bought an 04 Z and we're going to be having a little Ford vs Chevy show down in August.
Old 06-05-2011 | 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think some people are taking this thread the complete opposite direction of what I originally intended out of it.

I sold my 02 SS (mods in my sig....) here in Rochester, NY.. Moved down to San Diego, CA where I bought a BONE STOCK A4 2000 Z28.... Sold that there.... Then came back to Rochester, NY where I bought my Z06. It just felt great being back into the seat of a M6 car that had a little power behind it.

You really cant compare a F-body and a Vette. Theyre 2 different cars that share a similar engine. The Z06 handles awesome while the F-body can be made ******* fast in the 1/4 mile cheap.

I owned 5-6 F-bodies (I cant even remember anymore...) and I wanted something else. I wanted something I could just drive around in... I dont want to DD a 700hp f-body. I love driving my cars. I put almost 2K miles on it since this thread was created. I take very good care of it, but its not a garage queen. I couldnt see myself driving a 700hp f-body everyday in the summer and enjoy it as much. I couldnt run street tires on something like that because there would be no way in hell it would come close to hooking up which would mean I would be very much limited to when I could drive it with NY weather. If there was even a slight chance of rain, I wouldnt want to risk it, so I'd need street tires... And they wouldnt ever hook... So all that power is useless.

I will own another f-body someday.. And the plan for that would be to build 600-700rwhp car that I could take to the track. However, for now, the Z06 will just be getting a cam, bolt-ons, tune, and n2o.... And I'll call it a day.

It all comes down to what you want out of it.

Quick Reply: First night with the Z06... WOW!