General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Ls1 stock what cam???

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 06:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls1 stock what cam???

Stock ls1 what cam do you recommend?
Old 06-06-2011, 06:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

More info..
Old 06-07-2011, 02:32 AM
Staging Lane

the stock one.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:56 AM
TECH Addict

Are you asking what size cam came in the cars stock? or a good aftermarket cam to replace the stock one? Either way we need ALOT more information if you want a cam recommendation there is no "best one" its just whatever fits your setup. And the stock cams varied between the years what what type of car they cam in since a lot of different models had LS1's between 1997-2004
Old 06-07-2011, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

The only place I know that makes cams that are compatable with stock exaust and cats is Thunder Racing. The Old Man Cam says it doesn't require tuning either. http://www.thunderracing.com/shop-by...-Cams_944.html
Old 06-07-2011, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Roads closed pizza boy, find another way home !
Old 06-08-2011, 11:35 PM
12 Second Club

The biggest one you can get, duh!
Old 06-09-2011, 02:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

You're going to need some supporting mods to make it worth while. Keeping the stock exhaust will kill power gains.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:48 PM
Banned

MS4 son! cant go wrong!
Old 06-09-2011, 11:20 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by IamSam
the stock one.
This. Do all bolt ons and suspension/drivetrain mods 1st.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

get a 9" first if you have a 6 speed, converter and trans cooler first if you have an automatic
Old 06-10-2011, 07:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do Full Bolt-on's First then if u think its not fast enough then do a Cam !!!!!!
Old 06-17-2011, 01:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TooLateVTEC
Roads closed pizza boy, find another way home !

This.....lol
Old 06-17-2011, 04:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I'll let the non-helpful, non-informative smartass' do their thing. Sorry folks, but the forums are meant to be helpful.
OP- I'm going to assume the cam is the only upgrade on your list. If you're otherwise keeping the engine stock, I'd recommend not going with too big of a cam. Stick with something on the smaller side along the lines of high teens to low 20s duration, and .550 to no higher then .580 lift. And remember matching your valve springs to the cam is VERY important. And adding new roller lifters with the cam is always a good idea, one thing I would never do without. It's very beneficial to get 'at least' long tube headers when getting a bigger cam. Also if you plan on adding bolt-ons or other drivetrain mods, its recommended to do that before the cam.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:06 PM
Launching!

MS4 is all you need

Just slide it right in, don't bother with springs, pushrods or tuning.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by R6cowboy
I'll let the non-helpful, non-informative smartass' do their thing. Sorry folks, but the forums are meant to be helpful.
OP- I'm going to assume the cam is the only upgrade on your list. If you're otherwise keeping the engine stock, I'd recommend not going with too big of a cam. Stick with something on the smaller side along the lines of high teens to low 20s duration, and .550 to no higher then .580 lift. And remember matching your valve springs to the cam is VERY important. And adding new roller lifters with the cam is always a good idea, one thing I would never do without. It's very beneficial to get 'at least' long tube headers when getting a bigger cam. Also if you plan on adding bolt-ons or other drivetrain mods, its recommended to do that before the cam.
I dont think anyone is jumping on the OP because its a basic question. People are jumping on him because he expects quality responses to base his decision off of while giving us NO information about the car or what his goals are making it impossible to give him quality advice.

its like trying to answer X+2= Y its impossible without more info. Is he looking for a cam for a completely stock car? meaning no bolt on's or is he talking about a full bolt on car without going internal? Or is he somewhere in between.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by midnightblueZ02
Stock ls1 what cam do you recommend?
Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
I dont think anyone is jumping on the OP because its a basic question. People are jumping on him because he expects quality responses to base his decision off of while giving us NO information about the car or what his goals are making it impossible to give him quality advice.

its like trying to answer X+2= Y its impossible without more info. Is he looking for a cam for a completely stock car? meaning no bolt on's or is he talking about a full bolt on car without going internal? Or is he somewhere in between.
The OP gave all the info needed. Simply a stock LS1, its as easy as that. That is all he gave so it only makes sense to make recommendations for a stock LS1. We all don't have to assume he means any different than a stock LS1. Since the question was very basic its not far-fetched to assume the OP might be uneducated about the subject. So instead of fellow members ragging on him and making out the OP is stupid in other words, its only polite to post something helpful he can learn from. That is what makes the forum enjoyable, not those nonsense smartass responses.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by R6cowboy
The OP gave all the info needed. Simply a stock LS1, its as easy as that. That is all he gave so it only makes sense to make recommendations for a stock LS1. We all don't have to assume he means any different than a stock LS1. Since the question was very basic its not far-fetched to assume the OP might be uneducated about the subject. So instead of fellow members ragging on him and making out the OP is stupid in other words, its only polite to post something helpful he can learn from. That is what makes the forum enjoyable, not those nonsense smartass responses.
I wasn't trying to be a smartass but I don't see how you can give a quality answer with the little to no information provided. WHAT EXACTLY DOES A STOCK LS1 MEAN? People have different definitions of what exactly that means. is it a STOCK CAR? or a STOCK ENGINE with external bolt-ons? All he said was "stock LS1" The difference between a cam for those two situations is different. What does he hope to gain from it? All of this would be helpful in giving a QUALITY ANSWER instead of just general BS. As with most parts there is no one best part, it depends on what your goals are, Sure a FAST intake is better for maximum performance then a LS6 intake, but for many members the LS6 does the job just fine

I've learned a lot on here and am happy to share that information with others, but its hard to help when people don't want to put in the time/effort to fully explain what they would like to learn. Its like someone saying "CEL light is on, what part do I need to fix it?"
Old 06-17-2011, 09:55 PM
TECH Resident

Starz T/A 17, I know what you mean. I just took it as simple as the OP put it, all stock. And took into consideration the OP may be uneducated and may not know much, hinted the very basic post. People are here to learn, not to get cracked at IMO.

If you're going to crack a joke, at least have some decency to add some sort of helpful insight and shed a little light on the subject. JMO
Old 06-18-2011, 12:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

R6... you don't know his goals budget future mods supporting mod money I could go and on. Your advice was worse than others giving zero advice.

Way way more Info needed about everything before any recommendations are handed out.

Quick Reply: Ls1 stock what cam???