General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

SS or GTO

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 11:56 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cure07
no offense but if its her gto and her idea to get the money pit range rover tell her kindly to sell HER own ******* car and get it HERSELF! No way in hell would a woman ever tell me to sell my camaro. Realistically though, it sounds like you are attached to your SS and she couldnt give 2 ***** about her goat so it seems like a no brainer to me?
I couldn't have said it better myself. My friend's parents have a 2011 Range Rover and that thing is extremely uncomfortable. Feels like your sitting on a rock, compared to their previous Escalade.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:59 AM
Banned

I agree with the consensus. I'd sell the GTO long before the SS. I can't get past the style (or lack thereof) of the GTO. I don't know what Pontiac was thinking on that one. The GTO is the epitome of the 'rounded' trend that took off in the 90s. Even with it's superior factory engine/power, I'd sell it and keep the SS.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:08 PM
TECH Regular

List them both for 3k more then you want for them and see what sells first. If none sell keep them both
Old 06-20-2011, 02:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Tell her to get a Jeep. those things will truck 300k+ miles easy.. My wife's 94 cherokee 285k miles, stock motor, stock trans, stock converter, stock axles. runs like a champ. Just needs some shocks and a new steering knuckle! Easy to work on, cheap to repair and maintain.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:56 PM
Teching In

I know a lot of people have weighed in and I think some of the thoughts are based more on the SS being YOUR car and the GTO was HER car and she is the one who wants the upgrade.

based solely on the cars it depends on what and how you drive them.

I actually just decided to get a GTO over an SS camaro or WS6 for a few reasons.

1. The car is 4+ years newer. Every year on earth degrades a car no matter what. Paint, electronics, hoses, etc.

2. Better seats, usable backseat, better stock engine (LS2 vs LS1).

3. Rarity. I live near Detroit and if i look out my office window at Mound road I will see 5-10 camaros, mustangs, etc in about 5 minutes. I probably won't see any GTOs

I do see how some can say the looks of the GTO are kinda 'meh', i think the rear looks awesome personally, especially with the giant dual exhausts. The interior is WAY better.

Also let's not forget the camaros and ws6's are definitely an acquired taste as well. Especially with all the ram air scoops/etc. Don't get me wrong I love them, but not everyone does. They have that same 1990's styling as the GTO.

4. Handling when actually driving. The ride quality on the GTO is far and beyond the camaro. Going over bumps/etc... no rattles, no jolts.

Now there are some downsides... no t-tops... tiny *** trunk... most people have no clue what you are driving, etc...

Plus like others have said, mod for mod the Camaro will be faster since it's less weight.

I think ground clearance is a bit better on the GTO as well. You don't really bottom out like you would with a camaro w/ ground effects.

So couple things to keep in mind. My vote would be for the GTO unless you are drag racing.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 507 Likes on 366 Posts

Big mistake to sell a 50k miles LS2 GTO. It has it's whole life in front of it unless it was beaten to death. Since it is her car she can do whatever she wants with it but she'll be whining within 6 months wanting her 'old' car back. As far as selling your SS, no way!! Any chance you can buy your wife's GTO for equivalent 'trade-in' value?? Then you could own both if you have the room. Just a shame to let someone else get that ride.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sell the wife for wanting to trade in American muscle for a piece of **** Range Rover. J/K, but seriously RR’s are a big piece of **** as said by others. If you must get rid of a car get rid of her car and make her buy the RR and pay for everything that goes wrong with it. Keep your SS, it’s a meaner looking car and you will be happier that you did. GM missed on the new goat and really does look like a Cavalier on steroids not a sports car.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:51 PM
Launching!

LOL nobody like the GTO's
My wife never said i had to sell my car that was actually my idea. Like i said i love both cars. Mine does look alot meaner obviously, but we are wanting to start a family soon and thats why i considered keeping the GTO for a more comfortable ride over SS. We could keep both and get a SUV but im not sure if i want another $20K loan. Plus remember we are married so she is not the one paying for it is both of us. Im surprised to hear such bad things about the RR's but we are not dead set on one may get a TBSS not sure yet as we have not really looked at bothin person or drove either.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:54 PM
Launching!

Talking

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Big mistake to sell a 50k miles LS2 GTO. It has it's whole life in front of it unless it was beaten to death. Since it is her car she can do whatever she wants with it but she'll be whining within 6 months wanting her 'old' car back. As far as selling your SS, no way!! Any chance you can buy your wife's GTO for equivalent 'trade-in' value?? Then you could own both if you have the room. Just a shame to let someone else get that ride.
this car has been very well taken care of. If i were gonna buy it we would just keep it and go buy the SUV we want out right
Old 06-21-2011, 09:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

honestly man, .. I would just save up and get a trail blazer ss over a land rover, they just dont retain their value and over priced parts when they break( and yeah they do break frequently... ) ..

I think the consensus is to keep both cars, the GTO will be a nice auction piece down the road and they have retained their value over the years.. they had low numbers thanks in part since they never let anyone test drive them. Regardless of what people say they don't like the GTO for whatever reason, it is uncommon to find them (not impossible but u get what i mean), 13,948 cars in 06 and 11,069 in 2005 roughly, and they only made them for 3 years. The GTO also has a nice heritage aswell, it was considered the first true muscle car or something.. and when it was revived it had rave reviews across the spectrum & excellent build quality.. but low production numbers. Ofcourse its now discontinued, ya lol

With that being said, I'd keep both.. and keep your gto garaged after u buy a nice SUV. Might want to consider a SRT-8 jeep, or a Trailblazer SS.. maybe a denali or a escalade but they are just a fancy Tahoe imo..

just my 2 cents
Old 06-21-2011, 10:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

TBSS sounds like a good choice. Just be easy on the trans, add a PCMforless starter package 2 and you're set with a NICE daily SUV.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:25 AM
On The Tree

Keep the SS its a no brainer to me, but I am a little biased. I think the best looking meanest car ever is the SS Camaro but all in all that is just the way I see it.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:33 AM
Staging Lane

I like the GTO better ive had plenty of fbodies you can find them plentiful. By the way my wife is from Brownstown and we get to Seymour quite often. Good luck on your decision.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:40 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,686 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by LeanPocket
the GTO will be a nice auction piece down the road
I have to disagree. The '04-'06 GTO isn't going to be any sort of highly sought after collector piece. There will be a niche market for them into the future I'm sure, but you are not looking at the next 'Cuda.....not even close.

and when it was revived it had rave reviews across the spectrum
That's not the way I remember it. When they were new on dealer lots, most people didn't care for them at all. Styling was a huge issue (many didn't care for it, many still don't), and weight was another concern. This is why they sat on lots forever, and GM offered some incredible insentives at times to get rid of them.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I have to disagree. The '04-'06 GTO isn't going to be any sort of highly sought after collector piece. There will be a niche market for them into the future I'm sure, but you are not looking at the next 'Cuda.....not even close.

That's not the way I remember it. When they were new on dealer lots, most people didn't care for them at all. Styling was a huge issue (many didn't care for it, many still don't), and weight was another concern. This is why they sat on lots forever, and GM offered some incredible insentives at times to get rid of them.
I'm going by GTO enthusiast magazines ive picked up over the years, and applying it to this thread.

i do emphasize on 'might' in 'might become a nice auction piece' it could go either way. It does have that simple styling, and alot of people looked them over, but (in my opinion) thats why it has that extra umf in collectability.

AS far as reviews, it did have great reviews. I can pull out numerous articles and videos regarding build quality, and overall impressive ride quality thx to the IRS and ls1/ls2.

It had the australian version featured on top gear, and even they gave it great reviews and thats cuz they trash american cars .. he even griped about the z06 and zr1 as being flimzy and a mechanical nightmare ( i dont agree but hes a huge nitpicker )

With all that being said, its not the next cuda but it is different from the mainstream IMO
Old 06-21-2011, 04:31 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

I'm going by GTO enthusiast magazines ive picked up over the years, and applying it to this thread.

i do emphasize on 'might' in 'might become a nice auction piece' it could go either way. It does have that simple styling, and alot of people looked them over, but (in my opinion) thats why it has that extra umf in collectability.

AS far as reviews, it did have great reviews. I can pull out numerous articles and videos regarding build quality, and overall impressive ride quality thx to the IRS and ls1/ls2.

It had the australian version featured on top gear, and even they gave it great reviews and thats cuz they trash american cars .. he even griped about the z06 and zr1 as being flimzy and a mechanical nightmare ( i dont agree but hes a huge nitpicker )

With all that being said, its not the next cuda but it is different from the mainstream IMO
I stand by what I said in regards to before, now and into the future. We can revisit this issue in ~25 years if you like.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:34 PM
Banned

Personally, I think potential resale value should never be a factor (at least not a major factor) in purchasing or retaining a car, unless it's a true existing antique or special vehicle, especially fun cars like these. If you want an investment, buy a brick of gold and toss it in the closet. It'll take up less room, require less maintenance, and hold its value much better. Buy a car because you need it or want it, not because of what it'll be worth when you're done with it...
Old 06-21-2011, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I stand by what I said in regards to before, now and into the future. We can revisit this issue in ~25 years if you like.
Might get interesting
Old 06-21-2011, 04:47 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Schmalgar
Personally, I think potential resale value should never be a factor (at least not a major factor) in purchasing or retaining a car, unless it's a true existing antique or special vehicle, especially fun cars like these. If you want an investment, buy a brick of gold and toss it in the closet. It'll take up less room, require less maintenance, and hold its value much better. Buy a car because you need it or want it, not because of what it'll be worth when you're done with it...
This is excellent advice.

Only time resale value would matter to me is if I was buying a car to be nothing more than a transportation appliance that would be sold/traded every few years for a new model with a warranty.

When it comes to the "value" of my toys, all I care about is that I got a fair deal buying them. What they will be worth in the future isn't even on my mind.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:51 PM

"really re-think buying a Range Rover" Unless your getting an extended warranty that covers everything. Good luck with that. An oil change is probably $200 at the dealer. Run Away...