General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Stick with 'Vette or back to Trans Am?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stay with the c5 til u have kid or need the back seat, then go back to the ta ^^
Old 07-07-2011, 08:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LeanPocket
Vettes are a dime a dozen, TA's hold more sentimental value in my opinion, both are great and unique cars.

OP, you can't go wrong with either, follow your gut.
^This... they are a dime a dozen.
Awesome cars but the overabundance of them on street just kills the headturner factor unless its a zo6 or zr1
Old 07-08-2011, 02:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SonofaBish
One good point noted above, and noted on the local Mustang forum that i'm a member of.....

The Trans Am is one of a kind... not only the mods, but the car will not be made any more... it'll forever be dead... even if they woudl bring it back liek they did the camaro and GTO, the new TA won't be a f-body, and wont' resemble the orignal bloodline at all.....

in 10 or 15 years, it might just start to gain value... but as the GM flagship, Corvettes will always be made... i will alwasy be able to buy a new Corvette... there will always be one that's 5 or 6 years old for a great price... T/A's are only getting older, with no new ones to replenish the ranks...
You saidd it right there man. The only thing that really matters when it comes down to it, which one do you find more enjoyable to drive. When i have to decide between to great things i would ask my self the question, in this case, should you keep the vette or go back to the trans am, and the first answer that comes to your mind is usually the right one and is what you really want.

Personally i would go back to the trans am, the corvette has just never been a muslce car to me, ive always seen it as a sports car. plus, you just cant beat the fun youll have with 700hp
Old 07-10-2011, 11:45 AM
TECH Regular

New owners are picking up the 'Vette today, and i will be picking up the T/A next week sometime....
Old 07-10-2011, 12:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jthunderz28
^This... they are a dime a dozen.
Awesome cars but the overabundance of them on street just kills the headturner factor unless its a zo6 or zr1
Are we really calling C5s a dime a dozen in comparison to 4th gen f-bods? Look at the production numbers - there were over 50K more '98-'02 F-bods built than all C5s combined (8 years worth). Yes 5 years of the 4th gen outsold 8 years of the C5. So which one is a dime a dozen?

OP - congrats on how smoothly the decision went...sounds like you'll be back in what you really wanted in no time.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome news! plus the TA is your baby, so much work put into it. I think you made the right choice
Old 07-10-2011, 01:18 PM
Teching In

glad to see you choose the TA i personally think they look better than vetts........... this probaly stir up some people but thats what i think
Old 07-10-2011, 02:01 PM
TECH Regular

TA for the win!!!!!!!!!!! That is all
Old 07-10-2011, 02:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

New owners are picking up the 'Vette today, and i will be picking up the T/A next week sometime....
Congrats!!
Old 07-10-2011, 02:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Congratz man I think you made the right choice
Old 07-10-2011, 04:06 PM
TECH Regular

Now post some motor pics when you get it back
Old 07-10-2011, 05:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lynx853
Awesome news! plus the TA is your baby, so much work put into it. I think you made the right choice
hell yeah he made the right choice!,vettes are nice, but what other car has the look of a ws6 transam!you will be happy gettin her back.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:04 PM
11 Second Club

Twin Turbos on the Trans am.....
You'll have fun blowing off all those Vettes !
Old 07-11-2011, 03:54 PM
TECH Regular

Well, honestly i don't think the T/A holds a candle to the 'vette in looks...

The decision was made primarily because of these things:
1.) I absolutely love our Corvette, but our (my wife and I) plan was to get a C6 vette in the next 3-5 years anyhow... by then, our 'vette would be even older than it is now, and we'd be ready for a new, shiny one... (probably an LS3 model)... C6's can be picked up extremely cheap nowadays imho, and by then the C7 may be coming out, so that will make C6's even MORE of a bargain... So, being that we'll definitely have another vette some day, i was OK with letting this one go
2.) i put soooooooo much time and effort into the T/A, and never really got to enjoy it that much... maybe 6 months.... and 1 thing is for sure, i will NEVER go through the aches, pains and hassle of building another TT car...
3.) I miss driving a 6speed... in each case, the car is driven a fair amount (5-7K per year), but its still primarily a toy... I enjoyed driving the manual soo much more than the Auto... The auto in the vette was mighty fun, with all of the work done to it, but it still wasn't a manual.... I"ll never dog a well built auto, but on the fun-scale, i don't think you can touch having 3 pedals...

I'll be sure to post some pics when i pick it up... should be some time this week
Old 07-11-2011, 04:50 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LeanPocket
Vettes are a dime a dozen, TA's hold more sentimental value in my opinion, both are great and unique cars.

OP, you can't go wrong with either, follow your gut.
You maybe right somewhat. I think location has a lot to do with it. I live up in nebraska and i rarly see any corvettes. I just sold my c6z so that i can build up my saving for a house. Just got back to driving my TA and let me tell you the TA does absolutly nothing for me anymore. I am ready to sell it after owning the vette. Have seen alot of highschoolers buying camaros and ta's. I use to have one of about 3 in town now i cant even count on 2 hands how many they have here.

Either way i dont think op can make a bad choice.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:59 AM
Launching!

The Trans Am is just more unique than a C5. 4th Gen T/A's just have more of that badass look as well....the look of the WS6 made the choice for me when i was buying an LS1 car.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chemicalstylez
The Trans Am is just more unique than a C5. 4th Gen T/A's just have more of that badass look as well....the look of the WS6 made the choice for me when i was buying an LS1 car.
I agree - the T/A (especially a WS6) looks more aggressive than a C5. That's a big reason why I've owned 2 4th gen T/A's prior to my Z06. I wouldn't say the same for a camaro though.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:09 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,728 Likes on 1,239 Posts

I used to really like the Trans Ams when I was younger, especially the WS6, enough that I bought one brand new. My tastes have changed a bit over the last ~10 years though, now the big spoiler and ground effects of the Trans Am don't really do it for me. Camaros and Formulas are more to my liking at this point.

I also used to really dislike C5s, but as they've aged I'm starting to like them better. I still don't like the FRC/Z06 body style though, the regular C5 is the only one I'd consider owning.....but most likely I'll just move ahead to the C6 when I'm ready to add something new(er).
Old 07-14-2011, 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by clint195
You maybe right somewhat. I think location has a lot to do with it. I live up in nebraska and i rarly see any corvettes. I just sold my c6z so that i can build up my saving for a house. Just got back to driving my TA and let me tell you the TA does absolutly nothing for me anymore. I am ready to sell it after owning the vette. Have seen alot of highschoolers buying camaros and ta's. I use to have one of about 3 in town now i cant even count on 2 hands how many they have here.

Either way i dont think op can make a bad choice.
Lol!! I live in mid-age-crisis-ville so I see vette's everywhere i go, all generations.. So I will concur with the whole location thing.

Where I live its a 3:1 corvette to fbody ratio, and I'm probably being conservative on that too.

Well I'd go for a c6z over a TA too , but for practicality I wouldn't mind sticking with a TA.

In OP's case, I would have gone back to the TA, and congrats to him for being able to get it back, considering all the blood, sweat, hard earned money put into it, I say it was definitely a respectful decision.

op we need a exhaust vid for the love of god, maybe some WOT
Old 07-14-2011, 12:53 PM
TECH Regular

here are two vids i made when i was selling the car back in 2008

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...6amp%3Bhl%3Den

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...6amp%3Bhl%3Den

edit: the links are not working for me, but i'm at work where the vast majority of media is blocked... so let me know if they don't work