General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Stick with 'Vette or back to Trans Am?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 06:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stick with 'Vette or back to Trans Am?

2.5 years ago I was unfortunately forced to sell my Twin Turbo Trans Am .... 1.5 years ago I was fortunate enough to purchase my current C5 Corvette... However, I may have the opportunity to buy back my TA... but i can't have both.....

What do you guys think?

The TA was brutally powerful and the most fun in a straight line i've ever had.... but, the 'Vette is plenty fast in its own right, and an overall awesome car... not to mention, saying its a headturner is a major understatement....

My current plans are to have the 'Vette repainted in the next month... and i really have no complaints about it... so i'm leaning toward keeping the 'Vette... i just can't resist the opportunity to at least CONSIDER the trade...

Any thoughts?
Old 06-29-2011, 06:48 PM
On The Tree

vettes are a dime a dozen around here. get back the ta.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lol ya...looking at your sig, the vette is definitely no slouch but the trans up looks wicked fast too. tough choice, but i would consider if you actually need the extra 2 seats or not...if not i would keep the vette. I haven't been shopping for vette's lately, but I would assume they have higher values than the fbodys. Besides, if you keep your vette....you can always twin turbo that as well! good luck
Old 06-29-2011, 06:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

id buy that TA back. that must be a bad *** ****.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

mod the vette.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sometimes life just gives us the lose-lose situations.

to choose between a 700RWHP T/A or a Nitrous fed C5, its just criminal.

Haha, i think youll be happy either way. Personally I'd just stay with the vette. Youve done the F-body and obviously done it well, just see where you end up with the c5.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Keep your C5.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:44 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,728 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Ditch your C5.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

Pics of the T/A for reference. I'd be all over your vette if it was a M6 car.

<< Also on CR and SteelCity
Old 06-29-2011, 08:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

was the TA driveable? i mean around city and such? both are awesome. if its just a track car, then def go with more power. if its a daily driver or weekend/around city worrier then id stick with the C5..tough choice lol good luck!
Old 06-29-2011, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep the Vette unless you're missing those rear seats or you're sick of a car that does everything well besides just going fast in a straight line.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Red99TA
Keep the Vette unless you're missing those rear seats or you're sick of a car that does everything well besides just going fast in a straight line.
Good advice! Basically what I was going to say.

I love my 'Bird, but I'd love to be able to replace it with a Vette.

And I have a friend who went from 4th gen T/A's to a '99 C5, he says it's night and day compared to the T/A's.

Vette all the way.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:48 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by StuntmanMike
Good advice! Basically what I was going to say.

I love my 'Bird, but I'd love to be able to replace it with a Vette.

And I have a friend who went from 4th gen T/A's to a '99 C5, he says it's night and day compared to the T/A's.

Vette all the way.
Thanks for the opinions guys....

There's no doubt, there's a big downgrade as far as interior, class, etc when going from a C5 to a T/A... i just miss my T/A, b/c i feel like i never got to enjoy it... 6 months after completing it, i had to sell it (i was building a new home)...

And i really miss the BEAST that was the T/A... and nice to have something with that much power, and it be legal... Kinda sucks driving aroudn with nitrous bottles and getting all puckered up everytime you see a police officer...

It looks like i'll probably keep the 'Vette - i just can't resist teh temptation to go back to the monster...

Like i told my wife last night... there's tons of "Pro's" to each car... but i can't find a single downside to keeping the 'Vette... the T/A has a few downsides (all ones i could live with), but i can't find a single downside to keeping a badass, gorgeous car... except that its not a 700+ rwhp car....

Thanks again guys... i'll update with my decision
Old 06-30-2011, 05:42 AM
TECH Regular

I can kinda make a case to go both directions....

one thing about the 'Vette is, i could see myself getting rid of it some day to get another one.. or just because its getting older... The Trans Am on the other hand, i couldnt' see myself getting rid of again... that is, unless i miss the corvette so much that i can't take it! But i really think the only thing i'd miss about the 'Vette is the name, and the looks... gotta admit, nothing looks like a 'vette... they're just gorgeous cars
Old 06-30-2011, 05:46 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by omarrakeen
was the TA driveable? i mean around city and such? both are awesome. if its just a track car, then def go with more power. if its a daily driver or weekend/around city worrier then id stick with the C5..tough choice lol good luck!
yes, the TA was driveable... i built it to be a street car, not a track car...

Probably what i miss the most is the 6-speed.... the auto tranny in my car is wicked fun, but there's still nothing like a manual

its easy to say "mod the vette" but its already well modded... and even if i could afford it, i'm not going through a big build again - too much of a PITA...
Old 06-30-2011, 06:46 AM
TECH Addict

then just keep the vette..mods in your c5 seems fun enough lol
Old 06-30-2011, 08:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Vettes are a dime a dozen, TA's hold more sentimental value in my opinion, both are great and unique cars.

OP, you can't go wrong with either, follow your gut.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:37 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SonofaBish
yes, the TA was driveable... i built it to be a street car, not a track car...

Probably what i miss the most is the 6-speed.... the auto tranny in my car is wicked fun, but there's still nothing like a manual

its easy to say "mod the vette" but its already well modded... and even if i could afford it, i'm not going through a big build again - too much of a PITA...
This makes it more like you should get the T/A. If you miss manual, you won't be happy with your vette. I don't drive the Z anymore because I can't stand autos anymore and would hate for you to go through the same thing - a car you used to love (C5) and grow to hate.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:53 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MuscleCarNut711
This makes it more like you should get the T/A. If you miss manual, you won't be happy with your vette. I don't drive the Z anymore because I can't stand autos anymore and would hate for you to go through the same thing - a car you used to love (C5) and grow to hate.
Well, i'll never hate the 'Vette, cuz its got one bada$$ auto tranny in it... its a blast... but its still no 6-speed...
Old 06-30-2011, 08:55 AM
TECH Regular

One good point noted above, and noted on the local Mustang forum that i'm a member of.....

The Trans Am is one of a kind... not only the mods, but the car will not be made any more... it'll forever be dead... even if they woudl bring it back liek they did the camaro and GTO, the new TA won't be a f-body, and wont' resemble the orignal bloodline at all.....

in 10 or 15 years, it might just start to gain value... but as the GM flagship, Corvettes will always be made... i will alwasy be able to buy a new Corvette... there will always be one that's 5 or 6 years old for a great price... T/A's are only getting older, with no new ones to replenish the ranks...