General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

build or buy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 12:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default build or buy?

well lately i've had the bug to get a truck.. and a motorcycle.

i've been entertaining the thought of selling my car, then using the money to buy both of them. then later buy another Camaro, here is my question

would it be cheaper to buy a Z28/SS and mod it?

or buy a V6 or a roller, buy an LQ9 (maybe bore and stroke it) and swap that in along with the necessary suspension mods.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can get decient z's for about 5000 now. the lq9 would be pointless unless your gonna do more than drop it in, plus the engine will run about 1500-2000 for a good longblock
Old 07-12-2011, 12:54 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

buy something built , look on tech ,cars are going for cheap , almost fully done rearend,heads n cam,built trans etc, seen a few go for a lil over 8 grand i was shocked
Old 07-12-2011, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Really in my opinion, the only problem with buying one that's been built already is that you just don't know how the quality of the work on the car truly was because you weren't there when it was done. It would suck pretty bad to drop money on a car that's been built already and it turned out to be a piece because it was put together like crap.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by my bandit
you can get decient z's for about 5000 now. the lq9 would be pointless unless your gonna do more than drop it in, plus the engine will run about 1500-2000 for a good longblock
i most likely would do more to it, heads/cam but at the time of the swap it might be "stockish"

and buying a built car does have its ups and downs, the only "sure" way would to have numerous people vouch its builder/reliability.

but another option would be buying a stockish Z28/SS and then mod it like anyone else would bit by bit, stall, heads/cam, etc.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

if you want something alreasy built make sure its from someone or some place reputable.

otherwise just find a clean fbody to hook up.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
Really in my opinion, the only problem with buying one that's been built already is that you just don't know how the quality of the work on the car truly was because you weren't there when it was done. It would suck pretty bad to drop money on a car that's been built already and it turned out to be a piece because it was put together like crap.
Wow, is this ever true. Excellent post. It is a shame too because there are so many modded cars out there waiting to find a new home. There are examples out there though that have been built by reputable performance shops and have the paperwork to prove it. As long as the current owner didn't abuse the car to near death, this could be an avenue to explore. Sellers are getting very little for their modded cars, only a fraction of what they put into them in most cases. The 'What's It Worth' section has story after story of owners wondering why they can't get decent $$ for their modded cars, and the cars do appear nice! This is a real opportunity for buyers. Tough call.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Find one thats built by a shop and the owner took good care of it.

I wish I would have done that... Since I'm about $37K into a C5 Z total that I bought for $25K.

No corners were cut (at all.... lol) but I wont ever get the money I have into it back. The only real benefit of buying a stock one and going from there is you can build it your way and have the car YOU want, but you're going to pay...
Old 07-12-2011, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Buy a build car, u also take a risk, NO ONE BUILD THERE CAR AND BABY IT, THEY BEAT THE **** OUT OFF IT !. Some time it better to start all over again in stock car, who hell who leave their ls1 stock any more, accept me
Old 07-12-2011, 09:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Buy a z/ss and mod it yourself. If I bought one that was already built I think I would feel lost.
If you want to drop some coin on a ride just get a zo6 like the guy above.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by killagt
Buy a build car, u also take a risk, NO ONE BUILD THERE CAR AND BABY IT, THEY BEAT THE **** OUT OFF IT !. Some time it better to start all over again in stock car, who hell who leave their ls1 stock any more, accept me
So you bought a V8 f-body to baby it? Even a STOCK one?

BS. People will "get on" on their f-bodies/vettes/mustangs/etc regardless if its stock or modded. Theres a difference between beating the **** out of it and "getting on it". My SS was modded.. And I didnt "beat the **** out of it". Did I take it to the track a few times and occasionally "get on it" on the streets? You betcha... Because I didnt buy a 6 speed V8 car to drive like a prius.... But I maintained the **** out of it. I only let the best people in the LS industry work on it and went overkill on any maintainance for it.

Same thing with my C5 Z. Its being built by professionals.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Camaro_94
So you bought a V8 f-body to baby it? Even a STOCK one?

BS. People will "get on" on their f-bodies/vettes/mustangs/etc regardless if its stock or modded. Theres a difference between beating the **** out of it and "getting on it". My SS was modded.. And I didnt "beat the **** out of it". Did I take it to the track a few times and occasionally "get on it" on the streets? You betcha... Because I didnt buy a 6 speed V8 car to drive like a prius.... But I maintained the **** out of it. I only let the best people in the LS industry work on it and went overkill on any maintainance for it.

Same thing with my C5 Z. Its being built by professionals.
Im plant to keep my TA stock, cause I plant to keep it for a while. most mod their car end up selling. if it aint broke, i aint gonna fix it

about " beat the **** out off it " I dont mean abuse it. I mean drive it hard like u say " getting on it ", another word is " put the pedal to the metal " part will fail eventually depend on how much " u getting on it " and who does the work. buying mod car u dont know how many time the owner " getting on it " and who does the work, mod yourself bring to profestion like u say, then u know everything about your car, buying car already mod u know nothing. anyway some time mod car loose their value when it come to resale.

Last edited by killagt; 07-12-2011 at 09:49 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

so you guys would choose to get a z28/ss and mod it over a base camaro and do a swap?

i'm also thinking about if i get the truck and motorcycle, save up and wait for the next generation camaro then buy new.
edit: or a cts-v coupe
Old 07-12-2011, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wimimc
so you guys would choose to get a z28/ss and mod it over a base camaro and do a swap?

i'm also thinking about if i get the truck and motorcycle, save up and wait for the next generation camaro then buy new.
edit: or a cts-v coupe
yea buy z28 and ss and mod it, the swap some time just cost more and
Old 07-12-2011, 11:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whatever you do make sure you dont end up with a bike as your only vehicle. Make sure to get the truck first if you sell your car.
What type of truck do you want?

And for your question, buy one instead. As everyone mentioned, it will save you tons of money.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:31 PM
Staging Lane

i bought a stock car and by now i put more money modding it then i paid for the car originally, but it is all in what you want
Old 07-18-2011, 12:44 AM
Staging Lane

I say buy a z and mod the **** out of it . You can find them for very reasonable prices now and days. If you plan on doing a lot of work to the engine I would just buy one for the best price screw looking at miles if yiu plan on modding the hell out of the engine.

Just saying