General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

would you do/not do any of these mods while making payments?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 12:54 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got so sick of my crappy stock radio, i couldnt see at night and it gets way too hot in texas to not have tint, i just paid mine off last week now its time to let some real mods begin.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

yeah thats why i'm on the fence about this stuff, its stuff i could highly benefit from opposed to stuff like window express kits, hydrocoating parts, grilles etc. a while ago i bought LCAs + panhard bar because the wheel hop was simply terrible along with the bad/worn out tires.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The mods you are talking about would maybe cost a few hundred at most... its nothing major that should really effect you, or your loan (had u put the money into it instead). If you want this stuff, just get it now. If you were talking about spending a few grand on heads/cam or something like that.. then idk id prolly say rid the loan first.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you can afford it, do one thing at a time like you metioned. Tint is nice becuase it looks better, keeps you cooler, and dims the lights of cars behind you on the road at night-so maybe a little safer.

Head unit isn't expensive so that doesn't seem to be a big deal, plus it livens up the interior a bit.

LEDs I say wait on-those are cool but totally no way to justify those at this point lol.

I forgot what else you said.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah the leds would have been a project just to keep me busy, I think I'll hold off on those. I also mentioned new headlight bulbs a well as fog light bulbs. None are out, I just want a better field of vision. I also mentioned getting sirius though scratch that, I'd I can hook up my phone I can use that music or channel pandora.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

I got a steal on my car, buying from a friend who hadn't even started it for the past year at the time. I have a short loan with low $2xx payments. I usually get the fiancee to let me do one or two smallish things a month. Lots of work to do until I'm 'done' haha and I'm gonna have to save up for the big stuff (I'm planning a cam swap and I want to do it right)
Old 08-06-2011, 09:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

yeah compared to other peoples' payments mine arent that bad. they're $292 and some change, actually its fluctuated a few times going to $284 then $277.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You live in NJ like me so I know how you have to watch what you spend. I woulddo tint the hatch that is a must for any F-body in my personal opinion. I have owned 13+ and tinted all of them. Also I agree with a new head unit + especially since the monsoon is 1000% crap. With that there you shouldn't be to much over $400.00. Just set yourself a small budget of cash and don't exceed it until you pay off the car.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:58 AM
Staging Lane

Somebody above made a good point: Your monthly payment stays the same each month, but the ratio of principal to interest swings in the direction of interest with each additional payment. That being said, I can't stand driving anything without tints and a bangin sound system!
Old 08-09-2011, 10:03 AM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I financed mine to pay it off in a year and a half, my payments are 450 a month, and I am doing a complete 418/MWC 9/ build T56 the way I look at it if I am going to make payments on the car I might as well have a solid drivetrain. I happen to have the money to do it howerver Im not so sure I would recommind heavy mods like that before paying it off, I am also in the army so I have job security and know my car will get paid for.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I bought my Vette almost 12 months ago and have spent I guess in the $6k-7k range in mods. Heads/cam swap, intake, entire topend of the motor, headers & x-pipe, fuel system, clutch/flywheel upgrade, wheels, etc. I financed my car for a little over $500/mnth for 3 yrs, but I already had the money spent on mods saved before buying the car.

So to answer your question, IMO it all depends what's in your budget.