General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

would you do/not do any of these mods while making payments?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 02:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default would you do/not do any of these mods while making payments?

so i have about 5,800 left, 2 years of payments. i'm not going to do any performance mods but i'm thinking about doing some for "comfort".

should i wait for them?

-Tinting the hatch. it gets hot as hell in there plus its annoying having peoples' bright lights glaring through the window.

- a new head unit, nothing too crazy, i'm not doing a whole system, just a head unit so i can play my phone through the car. the same few cds and 3 or 4 radio stations are getting to be a drag.

- sirius radio, this might go along with the head unit for the same reasons as above.

-brighter headlight bulbs- dont really like the yellow and i'd like a better field of vision.
*note they wont be hids, just bulbs.
though there is a "catch" while doing that i'd want to get white foglight bulbs to match, and i may as well do the whistler mod. it'd be all in one shot.

- last, leds in the interior and maybe gauge cluster. this one i really wouldn't benefit from like the others, this is merely aesthetic.

the other reason is i need some sort of project or something to work on, i'm the kind of person that cant sit around idle.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 5 months left on my note and I've done all the mods in my sig.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

well i dont want to be broke anymore so i dont want to do that while making payments, especially with how much i make. i also want to get an s10 as a daily within the next few months, though you opened a new window for me..
Old 08-04-2011, 03:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

I put headers on my car before I had even made 3 payments, haha. But my payments are low enough that I can afford to do low cost mods without going broke... although I really want a cam and an S60 or 9" rear...
Old 08-04-2011, 03:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

how much are your payments?
Old 08-04-2011, 03:15 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,686 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Personally, I would not do any of those mods, but that's just because most of them don't appeal to my taste...having payments really has nothing to do with it.

On the financial end of things, you can look at it two ways:

1) Can you easily afford the payments? After paying your bills, do you have spare cash left over every month that you can afford to blow on entertainment, etc.? If so, then there is nothing wrong with spending some of that spare cash to "entertain" yourself with the car. Lots of people owe money on car payments and mortgages, but that doesn't mean that they don't spend money on anything else until their debts are paid off.

2) With each month that your carry the loan, you are spending more on interest than the actual amount of money that you initially borrowed to get the car. In effect, it's like you're paying much more for the car then the price you originally agreed to. Having said that, the best personal financial move to make is to dump every spare penny into getting that loan paid off, and save yourself from the interest. If you are looking to get financially ahead in life as fast as possibile, and/or have other goals that require you to rid yourself of this debt as quickly as possibile, then you should work to get that loan paid off ASAP.

In the end, either way you go is a personal choice. I have done both at different times in my life (sometimes work to pay it off as quick as possibile, sometimes carry the loan to term and spend money in other places). There really is no right or wrong, just a matter of where your personal priorities lie at this time in your life. My advice is to do what you think is best, based on your current personal situation.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I started out with the free mods like you, but pretty soon you will want more, and more
Old 08-04-2011, 03:25 PM
TECH Regular

pay the car off first
Old 08-04-2011, 03:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do whatever is financially right for you, my payments were low and my note was only for 2 years. So i could afford to do some things. Dont put yourself in a bad situation.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

Pay it off first....
Old 08-04-2011, 07:13 PM
TECH Regular

Those are all easy and relatively cheap mods so go for it!
Old 08-04-2011, 07:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

if you can afford it then spend what you like.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:37 PM
TECH Regular

I would pay it off first. If **** hits the fan and you don't have any income coming in your going to be glad you don't have a payment. I'm in the same exact spot as you. 7 grand left for me and im just throwing everything I got at it.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:57 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 01 CamaroSS SLP
I would pay it off first. If **** hits the fan and you don't have any income coming in your going to be glad you don't have a payment. I'm in the same exact spot as you. 7 grand left for me and im just throwing everything I got at it.
The things he's talking about aren't going to set him back that much... he'll be ok.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:17 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by wav3form
The things he's talking about aren't going to set him back that much... he'll be ok.
Excellent point but that's just what I would do. I know for me once i start its going to be hard to stop.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Personally, I would not do any of those mods, but that's just because most of them don't appeal to my taste...having payments really has nothing to do with it.

1) Can you easily afford the payments? After paying your bills, do you have spare cash left over every month that you can afford to blow on entertainment, etc.? If so, then there is nothing wrong with spending some of that spare cash to "entertain" yourself with the car. Lots of people owe money on car payments and mortgages, but that doesn't mean that they don't spend money on anything else until their debts are paid off.

2) With each month that your carry the loan, you are spending more on interest than the actual amount of money that you initially borrowed to get the car. In effect, it's like you're paying much more for the car then the price you originally agreed to. Having said that, the best personal financial move to make is to dump every spare penny into getting that loan paid off, and save yourself from the interest. If you are looking to get financially ahead in life as fast as possibile, and/or have other goals that require you to rid yourself of this debt as quickly as possibile, then you should work to get that loan paid off ASAP.

In the end, either way you go is a personal choice. I have done both at different times in my life (sometimes work to pay it off as quick as possibile, sometimes carry the loan to term and spend money in other places). There really is no right or wrong, just a matter of where your personal priorities lie at this time in your life. My advice is to do what you think is best, based on your current personal situation.
+1 What he said.......I do like my tinted window's.......
Old 08-04-2011, 11:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks for all the input, still welcoming more.

also to note, i wouldnt be doing it all at once, maybe one a month at the least.

my job is steady and i'm getting more hours in the fall, its not going anywhere. i'm also looking to get a 2nd job for the fall winter and spring, not much, just maybe an extra hundred or so a week. if that does happen then i think i will do some of those things, then after pay extra.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

reasonable thing to do is not to do any mods before you pay off the car... I still owe a lot on my corvette in sig and dont think i will be doing any major mods before i pay off the car... main reason is that i want to trade it for a 06 z06 in the future... but you never know.

You may change your mind in the future and go for another car...

My trans am on the other hand is paid off so it will get modded more once i have more $$ in the bank.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

thats some good advice.i've done both also...
Old 08-04-2011, 11:32 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Tint the hatch, yes! I can't imagine it without tint - like a solar oven back there.

Do something for your lighting too. The factory stuff is so bad it's hazardous.

Wait on the rest of it and pay off the car ASAP. You're paying interest on everything you spend rather than pay off.