General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

are you guys getting loans for your SS, ZZ28s or ws6s?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 12:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^^^sorry got a little jumpy on my last post. I didn't see you were only 20 and if your mom is going to be cosigning a home equity loan is problably out of the question. I'm 22 and just got a loan for my TA 2 months ago. Like i said i had to use another vehicle as collateral so you might have to do the same. If your mom's credit is good it shouldn't be too much of a problem getting a loan. Also i would agree that the car might not be worth as much in a year, but then again no car ever is. It's no different then reading about people sticking 10 or 20k into f-body....never gonna get that back lol but who doesn't want a supercharger or twin turbo's right. I say if it's what you want you might as well go for it. Also my insurance is 60$ a month but it is one of 4 vehicles and not considered my primary so that might also might be something to consider. Good luck.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just get a cheap one, payed $3500 for my mint WS6 though it had 166k. My 35th SS with 50k was only $6500 though.

Pay cash and get liability. Was like $225 at 17 with a WS6, SS, and 70 chevelle. It FINALLY went down though, paying $125 now or something for a different WS6 and an 80 T/A.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:43 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by roninsonic
damn your insurance is cheap... Full coverage with 500 deductible for the 02 is 347/month for me
That's over $4000/yr.....you're getting raped if that's not a typo.

My wife and I pay $1000 a year for 3 vehicles.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

nope, no typo. I went through a period where I drove like a complete and utter jackass... Some companies won't insure me.

Right now, the following are on my record in VA:
2 evading arrest
1 speed contest on a public roadway
6 reckless driving
8 speeding tickets

After I lost my license TWICE, I stopped driving like an idiot all the time.

What's sad is, even after all of that, I have 0 at fault accidents on my record. I'd just like to point out the fact that if VA had reasonable interstate speed limits, I'd probably only have like 2 speeding tickets, 1 reckless driving (burnout), 1 speed contest, and 1 evading arrest. I'm not trying to make excuses, but sometimes it's hard to obey a 55mph interstate speed limit. I grew up with 70/75 on the interstate, and 55 on pretty much every road that was nice enough to have paint on it.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:53 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i agree if your young and your kind of new to somewhat fast cars i would just get a cheap one ,there all over the place, but in the market we are in today 14 will get you just about everything you look for in a f body, i will say the more mods it has the more money it will save you, and with winter coming up there is going to be some crazy deals out there, you can just buy one modded way cheaper than you can build one, or get one with a really good starting point,good luck man, be safe
Old 09-21-2011, 11:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Funny... I just found Myself in the same boat as you. My wife got a new car so I just inherited her Jeep and the "Payment". So I'm going to trade it in a get a Z as a DD.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:47 AM
Staging Lane

paid off ftw !!
never had a note on my t/a ftw
Old 09-21-2011, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

loaned 10k on mine in april, should be paid off by years end

i was 24 when I got my loan but I put like 6k down and spotless credit. I was a lil suprised at my insurance quote being at around over $100, I expected something close to $60 with my spotless driving record, but it went down this policy to around $69 so I think i should be where I'm at.

These cars are on the cusp unfortunately for not getting loans since they are getting up in age, I had to put 6k down wtf lol
Old 09-21-2011, 08:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by roninsonic
nope, no typo. I went through a period where I drove like a complete and utter jackass... Some companies won't insure me.

Right now, the following are on my record in VA:
2 evading arrest
1 speed contest on a public roadway
6 reckless driving
8 speeding tickets

After I lost my license TWICE, I stopped driving like an idiot all the time.

What's sad is, even after all of that, I have 0 at fault accidents on my record. I'd just like to point out the fact that if VA had reasonable interstate speed limits, I'd probably only have like 2 speeding tickets, 1 reckless driving (burnout), 1 speed contest, and 1 evading arrest. I'm not trying to make excuses, but sometimes it's hard to obey a 55mph interstate speed limit. I grew up with 70/75 on the interstate, and 55 on pretty much every road that was nice enough to have paint on it.
Glad you don't drive that way anymore. however, no way would I get a loan on an old car, with insurance that high - as high as a car payment. Try getting you a used 4 cylinder car till you finish school. Payments will be less, and insurance should be as well.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

When I bought my car (around my join date here on this website), they had no problem with the car except they had a maximum of loaning 110% of trade in value only and not a penny more. So that's what the dealership sold it to me for, they wanted me to come out of pocket another $1k but I told them I would walk instead so they dropped the price.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This spring I bought my 98T/A with 107,000 miles and got a loan for it from my credit union 48months at 6%. My credit union also sold my a drivetrain warranty that includes gap coverage so if it gets wrecked anything that insurance doesn't cover gap coverage will paid off and if I blow it up or in my case need a tranny rebuild I won’t have to come up with a large amount of money and still have to try to figure out how to make my payments. I also keep cars I'm not the type of person to always be buying and selling them and I NEVER EVER plan to sell it or my Monte Carlo or my 79 Yamaha for no other reason than its my first bike and not werth enough to sell and then wish I had it back. But at the same time when I was your age I bought a almost new truck and regretted paying so much and lost a ton of money when I sold it 3yrs later the only go thing was that it gave me an established credit history and now I can get a loan for almost anything anytime I want. It would be a good plan to get something affordable, reliable, and boring to get you through school and get a loan for it in your own name so you'll have established credit and when you graduate and get a job you can get a loan for any bad @$$ car you want.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:09 AM
Staging Lane

I'm 24 and Ive gotten loans on my past 3 cars with no problems. I also put down over half the cost on all 3 though so it's kind of hard for a bank to say no. My credit union had no problem with the age of the car, 98BMW, 99SS and 01 SS. My insurance was only 90 a month for full coverage on the 99SS and my records not spotless. Went up to 175 on the new one though after my wreck. State Farm was the only company that would give me the time of day after my wreck and it was my only wreck! Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: are you guys getting loans for your SS, ZZ28s or ws6s?