General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Oil Analysis - 3x high iron ppm

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 08:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Analysis - 3x high iron ppm

HI Y'all, I hope this is the right place to post about this issue.

06 Z06 25,000 miles
Blackstone oil analysis - 3133 miles on oil

3x higher than average iron
2x higher than average lead

all else is normal

The motor has a tick but performs great. No smoke, it used 1.8 qts of oil between changes that includes a track day - 1 qt alone was added after track day. I'm thinking cam or valve guide wear.

What material is the stock LS7 valvue guide, cam, lifter roller, and main bearings?

I am trying to gather as much info as possible before deciding what to do. I will probably run another 3k miles and get another oil analysis before I make a final decision.

Any feedback on this issue is much appreciated. I will be doing all labor myself and learning as I go. Thank you in advance for your time and for sharing your expertise.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Woah! 1.8 quarts after 3133 miles is a huge amount of oil usage for an engine with 25,000 miles on it. The usage for a 25k mile engine between oil changes should be approximately zero, or too little to measure.

My LS1 has 70,000 miles and I cannot even tell if it uses any oil at all between changes at about 5000 miles per change on synthetic oil.

I'll leave it for others to advise on where your issue is, but you do have an issue.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got the actual numbers and what you see as average? What was the time on the oil? What are the rest of the numbers. What oil is it? Have you check BITOG for other analysis' of that same oil and other Z06's?

Iron can leach over time, causing high iron numbers. I've seen that but at a 2.5 yr change interval. It wasn't that high, though. Can't remember about lead and time, but a track day and other flogging would bring that up a bit.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

High lead means excessive bearing wear.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:19 PM
Banned

how do you take your sample?
Old 05-06-2013, 09:49 PM
Teching In

I took the sample midstream. So i finally got around to doing ahead cam swap and I measured the valve guide clearance on the heads... #3 and #4 exhaust valves were so far out of spec it is hilarious.

.065 movement on the dial indicator, so that would be ~.0325 clearance... so that is what like more than 8x out of spec. how did i make it this far? I'm pretty sure I've had the most out of spec valve guide that didn't drop.

The high lead as bearing wear mention by Dan Stewart... well that is something to worry about but i already have the new heads and cam on so we will see how it goes! BTW my car now has 30k on the clock.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm curios did you have any ticking or noise from these worn guides? I suspect I have worn guides from the previous owner using a K&N oil filter in extremely dusty conditions. I have a very odd clatter clicking noise at 1000-2000 rpm Adding Lucas upper cylinder lube quiets it down. So i'm sure its something to do with the heads-pistons.

The K&N let ALOT of fine dirt into the engine, almost completely blocked the IAC with a mix or K&N OIL and dirt!
Old 05-09-2013, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ghardester
Woah! 1.8 quarts after 3133 miles is a huge amount of oil usage for an engine with 25,000 miles on it. The usage for a 25k mile engine between oil changes should be approximately zero, or too little to measure.
GM engineers state that an engine can normally use up to 1 quart of oil every 2,000 miles. More if it is raced or sees a lot of highway time.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:17 PM
Teching In

Hi y'all - sorry for not updating this thread more often but I just finished a heads/cam swap and installed Pfadt long tube Tri-Ys on my motor.

Rockin WS6 - yes i had a REALLY loud tick/tap off idle and beyond but it was LOUDEST at 2000-2500 rpms. I also discovered a "high flow" filter (it was basically just non-dense foam/sponge) on my car before I switched it back to stock.

My motor has for sure seen better days. Unfortunaly I really got bent over on this one but I have to make the best of it. I'm going to monitor oil analysis and if these gets worse I will do the bottom end this winter but hopefully i can put it off as long as possible. Not sure how it goes once you get some bearing wear how fast it goes downhill or if you can hold it off for a while. That said, when I took off my external oil tank to install the Aviaid tank baffle, in the bottom of the tank (below where the oil lines pickup/deposit oil, the tank is concave and that oil down there doesn't seem to move much) there was black sludge and BITS OF METAL. Big bits of metal. I have not checked on what those pieces are yet (even if they are magnetic I have been consumed by track days but now that I remember I will check tonight). These bits of metal - the largest ones were about the size of an 1/8 of grain of rice).

Oil pressure remains pretty good. It's 60 idle cold, 40 idle hot. 250 degree oil on the track at RPM is around 45-50.

So after getting 3 hours of track time on the new setup I dumped my Rotella T6 5w-40 to get analysis. The lead numbers a way down. But TITANIUM is WAY UP. I installed brand new PRC heads with TI intake and SS exhaust. These are supposed to be manganese guides.

So what are y'alls thoughts? Have you had an analysis done after putting on new heads with TI intake valves? What do ya'll think about the rest of the numbers (magnesium and phosphorous are really high)

Here is the report (showing before head install and after)
Oil Analysis - 3x high iron ppm-q8dgcw8.png
Old 06-27-2013, 01:29 PM
Teching In

Anyone else had oil analysis done on new heads? With titanium valves? What did you see?

Quick Reply: Oil Analysis - 3x high iron ppm