General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Why does everyone hate convertibles?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 09:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my LT1 vert. Only thing I don't love about it was spending $1600 to replace the vinyl convertible top. That sucked. Other than that, awesome ride.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CO99Z28Vert
Put 70k miles on mine in a little under 5 years so yea they blow up and fall apart piece by piece if driven more than once a week!
Wow. 14000 miles a year. Well, that's a lot for any car. I'm sure there are a bunch of coupe owners who's car's fall apart with that much driving too. In fact, I know some! lol

Not sure what would be more susceptable to falling off because it's a convertible though. Outside of the convertible top and added support underneath, nearly everything else is the same.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:29 AM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

14k a year? That's not much. In fact, the average car nowadays gets about 25-30k a year.

When my z was my daily, I put 30 k on it in a year.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I occassionally enjoy cruising around in a vert, however I can't deal with the combination of the minor issues that come with it (weight, top replacement, cost of a cage, etc).

With the performance mods that are available for these cars you don't have to be a "hardcore" racer to run into the substantial costs of modding these cars to comply with track safety standards. It's going to take a good bit of coin to drive your 11 second (which is very simple to get to) vert on the track -- even if you only want to do it a couple times a year.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I hate the look of verts. VERY FEW look half way decent to me. There's a guy with a slammed one on c6 wheels, trans am, looks awesome. And a few others. But id never want one. Itd be a deal breaker for me.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sail Hatan
I hate the look of verts. VERY FEW look half way decent to me. There's a guy with a slammed one on c6 wheels, trans am, looks awesome. And a few others. But id never want one. Itd be a deal breaker for me.
See, a statement like THAT.... I can respect. Personal preference... no way to argue with that. LOL! We all have personal preferences, blue car, red car, black car, convertible, hardtop, T-top, Camaro, Firebird. That's the nice thing about this, we have the freedom to choose what we like.

Love your comment, simple, honest, truthful. Nice!
Old 05-09-2012, 05:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bww3588
14k a year? That's not much.
In fact, the average car nowadays gets about 25-30k a year.

When my z was my daily, I put 30 k on it in a year.
No... not in fact... I'll respectfully disagree with you on that one. I don't think the average car puts down 25-30k miles per year.
Mine's 10 years old and has just hit 55k. All depends.

You may drive more, I may drive less.

I'd say 30k is alot. The average is about 13-14k miles per year.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HRHohio
See, a statement like THAT.... I can respect. Personal preference... no way to argue with that. LOL! We all have personal preferences, blue car, red car, black car, convertible, hardtop, T-top, Camaro, Firebird. That's the nice thing about this, we have the freedom to choose what we like.

Love your comment, simple, honest, truthful. Nice!
Thanks! I try. There's no reason to say something like "all convertibles are ugly" cause that's not true. Maybe people like them, the op wanted to know the reasoning for some people's dislike.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:35 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01 ss vert
You can put the top up real quick, and STILL use your trunk for other things besides your t-tops storage.
Not trying to argue, but I don't consider what we have to be a trunk, haha.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to have a vert and I wish I did again. The t-tops are nice but it's just not the same. And IMO pretty much any car looks better as a vert. With this car I am glad, however, to have been able to run in the 12s without having to get a roll bar. And having to replace the top would just take away from mod money (that I already don't have, stupid marriage ). And of course there is the homo/metrosexual stigma that sometimes comes with them; I got a lot of ribbing from my dad. But overall I like them.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 537 Likes on 385 Posts

I believe many are missing an important factor. It depends where you live. When I lived in FL I had no reason to buy a convertible. 90 degree high humidity days with daily monsoons during the endless summer months were not conducive to convertible ownership. Let's not even talk about the May & September 'love bug' season where they can land in your car by the dozens and even hundreds. If you don't know what love bugs are, feel lucky that you have never cleaned a grill with hundreds of those 'smelly' creatures smashed into it. Sure November to April are wonderful weather months but where can you drive on the crowded tourist filled roadways?
I imagine living in a large city would be tough as well, like Boston or Chicago. Long winters, traffic, and worries about the vandalism factor (slashed tops, etc..) even though that can happen anyplace.
Living in the rural wide open country makes such a difference with little traffic and endless roads. I challenge anyone to cruise along with me on the Blue Ridge Pkwy or Cherohala Skyway and not enjoy themselves on a sunny 70 degree day with the top down and that incredible LS1 exhaust sound. I never imagined owning 2 verts and I actually had 3 at one time. Been there, done that with hardtops and convertibles. I would never categorize or put down anyone due to personal preferences. Walk in their shoes.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:33 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 94 White T/A
Not trying to argue, but I don't consider what we have to be a trunk, haha.
I agree, it's pretty tight. Dampens out the subwoofer too. But I can still get a set of golf clubs in it... BARELY! Good enough for me. If I need any more room, I just take the Jeep instead. lol
Old 05-11-2012, 09:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree, it's pretty tight. Dampens out the subwoofer too. But I can still get a set of golf clubs in it... BARELY! Good enough for me. If I need any more room, I just take the Jeep instead. lol
my vert was my dd in college , I done it all & took it evey where.
airport trips, laundry days , beach days

You just got to get a lil creative.

Oftopic but do you have pics of your car?
Old 05-11-2012, 09:30 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
my vert was my dd in college , I done it all & took it evey where.
airport trips, laundry days , beach days

You just got to get a lil creative.

Oftopic but do you have pics of your car?
Here are a few pics (slideshow) from my profile on our local car club website. The website is www.vegaslsx.com

To go straight to the slideshow its
http://vegaslsx.com/vbulletin/galler...ASC&interval=4

There are a couple pics of my car and some others in the club, plus some other random stuff. These were from our cruise to the Valley of Fire State Park last year. My blue convertible is in a few of the pics.

If you're ever in Vegas, let us know.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:38 AM
On The Tree

Same reason why everyone hates the LT1. It's not "the best" for performance
Old 05-11-2012, 09:59 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,761 Likes on 1,258 Posts

No... not in fact... I'll respectfully disagree with you on that one. I don't think the average car puts down 25-30k miles per year.
Mine's 10 years old and has just hit 55k. All depends.

You may drive more, I may drive less.

I'd say 30k is alot. The average is about 13-14k miles per year.
I'd have to agree. Just a few years ago I was doing about 20-22k every year, and that was way more than most people I knew or know now. I don't see very many 2-3 year old cars in my area with 60-90k miles, so I would have to say that this is the exception rather than the rule in my region.

I guess if you live way out in a rural area and have to drive into the city every day, you could easily rack up this kind of mileage. But to put 30k miles on every year living in a big crowded city with tons of traffic, well you're either a taxi driver or you must never have time to sleep.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CO99Z28Vert

I still prefer the look of a Convertible with a roll bar over any other Fbody out there but thats just my opinion of course...

That is one sick car man. I would only ever think about owning a convertible if it looked like this, and the top would always have to be down...otherwise you can forget it!
Old 07-27-2012, 02:38 PM
Teching In

my 98 TA is my favorite car in the world. I only bought it because my best friend said that these LS-based engines are the future of hod-rodding. When I rolled up a his speed-shop, he about died laughing. The v6 spoiler and the raptor hood, along with factory exhaust makes my convt the best 'sleeper' around; even kinda sounds like a v6. but when Im shifting out of 2nd at 100mph and bone stock?!? Ive got a 98 C5 w/F45j, 99 TA Ttops, 99 Firehawk, 98 Camaro LS1/6spd, 96 SS.
Perfect combo of style and performance
Old 07-27-2012, 03:06 PM
11 Second Club

2nd at 100? jeeze.. somethings wrong with my car then..
Old 07-27-2012, 03:28 PM

I had a 96z 6sp vert for about a yr. Given I never drove it over 20mph since it had rearend issues and I had to get rid of it cause of a PCS. For my first time being in a vert I actually liked the ability of putting the top down and all the sunlight being in the car.....it was nice. Probably all depends where you live too, I was in cali and now im in Fl. Wish i somehow kept that beauty!

Quick Reply: Why does everyone hate convertibles?