General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

98 vette vs 02 ws.6

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 08:56 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by americaFTW
aight thanks for all the comments, my personal opinion is 9 k for a car is an awesome price especially an fbody car. Why is it that these cars dont have a good resale value after 100k? the engine,trans,rear end? whats the deal? the A4 trans and rear end should last longer then the m6 since less abuse right?
I think it's more so that f-bodies aren't practical cars for everyday driving and us as enthusiasts of the car know what type of "FUN" previous owners might have had with the car going into the 100k range in miles.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Idk, why they drop in value so much. They ls cars are dependable,reliable when they are maintained and cared for,as long as don't start abusing or modding the motor too much. But I can't say the same as the lt1 cars.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NemeSS
Idk, why they drop in value so much. They ls cars are dependable,reliable when they are maintained and cared for,as long as don't start abusing or modding the motor too much. But I can't say the same as the lt1 cars.
Lol why not? The LT1 motor is just as stout/reliable as the LS1. I have several friends that have 150k+ mile LT1's that are beaten savagely and still run just fine.

It's when people don't take care of them that they start to go to ****, but thats true with any car. You just see more run down LT1 cars because they're older cars. I assure you, there are a lot of LS1 cars (at least in my area) in worse shape than my '95.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:06 PM
TECH Regular

I think 9k is still too much if that was me I'd offer 8 at most for it. If you can live with a two seater with a higher cost of maintenance, I would go for the Vette. Faster, better handling and a better deal imo. I'm sure you can knock them down on the price too.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:31 PM

yea knock them down on price, but from 12k to 8k thats a BIIIG knockdown whats the best plan to get them to knock off that much? any ideas lol
Old 01-13-2012, 12:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

The Vette seems like the much better buy. If its in very good condition, then 13k is a pretty good deal IMO.

I bought my '00 vette bone stock (except for tires) back in Aug. 2010 for $16k with 33k miles and in perfect condition. I looked for a year and a half before finding the one I bought and it was by far the best deal I found, by a large margin at that.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by linemupz28
I think it's more so that f-bodies aren't practical cars for everyday driving and us as enthusiasts of the car know what type of "FUN" previous owners might have had with the car going into the 100k range in miles.
Not practical? I average 25mpg per tank (per week...drive ~300miles a week commute for work) and year round. (Including the snow we just got here).. Honestly I don't understand the 'not practical' thing.

I also have a 5 year old and a 6 month old who fit in the back easily and I transport daily with no issues. I suppose life in a Camry would be a little better but it's never even been an issue on my end.

With near 150K on my car now and the only things replaced being..
Tires (I get about 3 years/60K out of all seasons)
Clutch (117K)
Starter (125K)
Cam Swap (130K)

I honestly can not complain about reliability or practicality.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:54 PM
Launching!

I paid $13k in october for a 2002 clean bone stock M6 black WS6 with 73k on the clock in Montgomery AL. hope that helps somehow...
Old 01-13-2012, 01:01 PM
Staging Lane

Like was stated earlier location is the key. I live in Sav Ga and a Virgin 02 WS-6 with 100k+ goes for over 12 and up easy. So question is are you willing to travel. I bought my 99 SS with 90k for 6k, but i had to drive to DC to get it. I paid a lil in gas but saved myself 4k according to KBB at the time of purchase.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:06 PM
Staging Lane

I also drove to Temple Terrace FL to by a 95 Z-28. Car had 215k on the clock, but that car was so clean it was unreal. And it had Brand new Z06 wheels on it. I only paid 2500 for the car. The LT motor dam sure not my favorite of the 2 (LS1). My LT motor blew with 230k on it. But was strong till she quit.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:09 PM
On The Tree

Paid $16K for an '02 SS SLP 345HP package with 37K on the clock last February here. Bought in south-central texas.

At 118K miles, I most definitely wouldn't pay $12K for the T/A, WS6 or not. Unless you just hate standard transmission, or need at least some semblance of a back seat, either take the Vette and no doubt be happy with it or just walk away from them both.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:14 PM
Launching!

also sounds like you haven't made up your mind whether you want a 6 speed or not.. May need to figure that one out first..
Old 01-13-2012, 01:34 PM
Staging Lane

Me personally id go with a (F-body) poor mans vette lol. In my stock LS1 Camaro i outran my bud in his 98 auto vette. the vettes are dogs out the hole and buy the time he got to his power band i was in 2nd and out of dodge. LOL
Old 01-13-2012, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't get where everyone thinks the vette is "faster" lol. I just don't see that in reality anywhere, on the street or slips. Hmmmm, I still think a stock c5 is in the same ball park as an ls1 fbody as far as straight line acceleration right up to 100 mph.
Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
Not practical? I average 25mpg per tank (per week...drive ~300miles a week commute for work) and year round. (Including the snow we just got here).. Honestly I don't understand the 'not practical' thing.

I also have a 5 year old and a 6 month old who fit in the back easily and I transport daily with no issues. I suppose life in a Camry would be a little better but it's never even been an issue on my end.

With near 150K on my car now and the only things replaced being..
Tires (I get about 3 years/60K out of all seasons)
Clutch (117K)
Starter (125K)
Cam Swap (130K)

I honestly can not complain about reliability or practicality.
x2. A corvette is less practical in most areas, including lack of a back seat. Look into insurance prices as well as maintenance costs for both vehicles. Now if this was a z06 well I'd retract my statements... but otherwise I'd take an fbody. Fbodys fetch good coin up here still as far as I can see.

edit: fbody is generally cheaper to buy, and once modded it's a no brainer imo. Maybe this should have been a poll lol . Don't get me wrong, nothing at all wrong with the vette, just not my cup o' tea so to speak and it boils down to what you want it for, what you need, and personal preference.

Last edited by oddwraith; 01-13-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:30 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,695 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by americaFTW
yea knock them down on price, but from 12k to 8k thats a BIIIG knockdown whats the best plan to get them to knock off that much? any ideas lol
There is no specific plan for that. It's a dealer, so they can easily say no if they don't mind having the car on their lot. Unlike a private seller, they don't ever need money in a rush, so you can try to bargin them down but there is always a chance they will say no.

I've had it go both ways with dealers....sometimes they will come down several thousand dollars, and sometimes they won't budge at all. It will also depend on how long the car has been sitting on their lot and how much interest it has seen.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^This. I waited for an m6 forest/dark green '94 lt1 back in '99. It sat on the dealer's back lot for over a month and still they wouldn't budge, so eventually I drove to another city and picked up a DPM '95 T/A with only 26,000kms (whatever that is in miles? probably like 15,000 miles) for about the same price. It pays to wait, but when dealing with a dealer, they almost always get the "deal".
Old 01-13-2012, 02:42 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by oddwraith
I don't get where everyone thinks the vette is "faster" lol. I just don't see that in reality anywhere, on the street or slips. Hmmmm, I still think a stock c5 is in the same ball park as an ls1 fbody as far as straight line acceleration right up to 100 mph.
Typical curb weight for an LS1 F-body is about 3450lbs, and for a C5 it's about 3250lbs. So, assuming you are comparing the same trans types, you can expect the C5 to be a bit faster, with it's 200lb weight advantage.

Granted, it might be a bit tougher to launch the C5 with it's IRS, but even still they usually turn in times (especially trap speed) that are slightly better on average than a same year/same trans F-body. When it comes to roll racing, the launch factor is gone and now the C5 will have a clear edge (same trans type) due to lighter weight, same power, and identical/near identical (3.15 vs 3.23 for A4 performance axle) gearing.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh I see what you're saying, on paper. But I just don't see that in the real world, from a dig. The irs is not the easiest launch and I don't see the difference as being a deal breaker or justification for no back seat, higher price tag, and lack of the ws6's looks. Just sayin'...

edit: not only that but I see your sig mentions two (2) fbodys, no vette. I think you agree but don't know it lol j/k.

double edit: I know they handle better and are great cars, but I for one don't need any handling better than what I have already. The vette gets kudos because it's got ls power, handles like a star, and is more refined. The last two things mean nothing to me, obviously ... I drive a firebird

Last edited by oddwraith; 01-13-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:52 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

edit: not only that but I see your sig mentions two (2) fbodys, no vette. I think you agree but don't know it lol j/k.
Haha! Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely a bigger fan of F-bodies than C5s, that's always been the case and my lineup reflects that. But I'll be the first to admit that all things being equal with stock cars, the C5 does have an acceleration advantage, albeit small, due to less weight with the same engine/same power. That's not to say that it's a better choice nor a better car for everyone and all purposes....but it is something to be considered when looking at all the facts.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:02 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

double edit: I know they handle better and are great cars, but I for one don't need any handling better than what I have already. The vette gets kudos because it's got ls power, handles like a star, and is more refined. The last two things mean nothing to me, obviously ... I drive a firebird
Handling and refinement are not priorities for me either. I appreciate raw, simple cars as well; frankly even a 4th gen F-body seems almost too refined compared to my 40 year old muscle car.

I will always have at least one F-body, but I could see a time where a Corvette could join my lineup as well. Mostly just because it's getting hard to find nice F-bodies for sale around me, and my '02 car isn't going to last forever. If I could buy a brand new 4th gen with the only update being an LS3, well that would be absolutely ideal for me.

Quick Reply: 98 vette vs 02 ws.6