General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

98 vette vs 02 ws.6

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

auto to m6 is not a problem. I have owned an auto G35 and own a M6 STi but i will say the ws.6 has more curb appearl then the vette IMO. And to me I think WS.6's are just more out right RAW then the vette. Not to put anyone down that has a vette but to me when i see a good fbody i think to myself young guy with a young girl that knows his ****. When i see avette i think old guy with milf that may or may not know what hes driving. Sorry if that effends anyone but that how i see it. Fbodys are just down right sexy
Old 01-13-2012, 03:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Haha! Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely a bigger fan of F-bodies than C5s, that's always been the case and my lineup reflects that. But I'll be the first to admit that all things being equal with stock cars, the C5 does have an acceleration advantage, albeit small, due to less weight with the same engine/same power. That's not to say that it's a better choice nor a better car for everyone and all purposes....but it is something to be considered when looking at all the facts.
While I agree... I think you would be hard pressed to find many 97-00 C5s in stock form that ran better than my 01 Z28 did. Maybe I am wrong...but from memory (digging through corvette forums, etc) they just weren't putting up 12s every pass... and low 13s were common but not a majority (I ran 13.1 ~ 13.2 @ 107~108mph all day long). There is also extra DTL from their IRS setup and a cam differences between all the cars that can make one better than the other. Honestly I would shoot for an 01+ F-body due to cost vs performance but I also had very good luck with my 01 and obviously I'm jaded.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree that a ws6 is very muscular looking and attracts alot of looks. But a targa c5 prolly attracts more looks. I own a ws6 and get a lot of looks and waves. But nothing like a vette.
My uncle has owned his c5 since 98. And ive driven it on occasion since. im waiting to get a c6. I was gonna get a 99 frc black/black for 9k. But got anotherws6 for 4k.
next car I get is velocity yellow/black 6spd c6
Old 01-13-2012, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Handling and refinement are not priorities for me either. I appreciate raw, simple cars as well; frankly even a 4th gen F-body seems almost too refined compared to my 40 year old muscle car.

I will always have at least one F-body, but I could see a time where a Corvette could join my lineup as well. Mostly just because it's getting hard to find nice F-bodies for sale around me, and my '02 car isn't going to last forever. If I could buy a brand new 4th gen with the only update being an LS3, well that would be absolutely ideal for me.
I have to not only agree but I have plans for an ls3 swap as soon as this one lets go (fingers crossed lol - j/k... no seriously, knock on wood ). But I do dread the day though that I can't keep up with maintenance and have to upgrade/update my car. The only thing prolonging it's lifespan is that I only drive it in the summer for about 3,000 miles a year or so. But I just really haven't "got over it yet", and likely won't anytime soon.

But you're right, it's hard to not consider a Corvette these days. I mean c6 to fifth gen would be a night and day decision for me and even with plans for a family on the way, I'd really like an atomic orange C6 for xmas . But let's just say she better already have a ring on her finger if that was ever going to happen

Haha! Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely a bigger fan of F-bodies than C5s, that's always been the case and my lineup reflects that. But I'll be the first to admit that all things being equal with stock cars, the C5 does have an acceleration advantage, albeit small, due to less weight with the same engine/same power. That's not to say that it's a better choice nor a better car for everyone and all purposes....but it is something to be considered when looking at all the facts.
I agree that the c5 is faster/quicker on paper, and maybe when driven to it's potential. But in reality it seems that most guys either don't want to push daddy's car, or most that I've seen can't drive. Because from a dig it is funny how often an fbody will take the w. It is always memorable for everyone too, because everyone expects the slick c5 to win. I can't argue fact though, and I will agree that when both cars are driven to potential, the c5 is probably 2 tenths quicker and a couple mph faster than a similar optioned ls1 fbody. But when considering that many can't launch for beans on the street in even a stock c5, that I've seen, I'd guess that average joes head-to-head in these bad boys aren't going to be placing any bets lol.

Originally Posted by americaFTW
auto to m6 is not a problem. I have owned an auto G35 and own a M6 STi but i will say the ws.6 has more curb appearl then the vette IMO. And to me I think WS.6's are just more out right RAW then the vette. Not to put anyone down that has a vette but to me when i see a good fbody i think to myself young guy with a young girl that knows his ****. When i see avette i think old guy with milf that may or may not know what hes driving. Sorry if that effends anyone but that how i see it. Fbodys are just down right sexy
Yeah sexy is a good word. I love how the c5s look too, and I would never hate on them in any way. It just boils down to personal preference and what you are looking for. That c5 could be a great buy - but just not for me. I will say that most guys that go vette, don't regret :p, from what I hear. Either way good luck with your choice man, both can be a great car and a lot of fun. You're going to be happy in either one though if you can get a decent deal. What have you owned in the past if you don't mind?
Old 01-13-2012, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

The ws6 is a 2002 so it will have the ls6 intake. Everyone knows it will be faster duh!

But really, the vette is a 98. That's a 14 year old car. I probably wouldn't pay that much for it. I really don't care for the C5s in the looks department so I'm partial to the ws6. I say get which one you want more, but if it's the f-body I'd wait and find a better deal.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:35 PM

G35 coupe and right now an STi. And I will try to do 8500 for the T/A and if they dont go for that then im going to try and see about the c5.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:37 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,695 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
While I agree... I think you would be hard pressed to find many 97-00 C5s in stock form that ran better than my 01 Z28 did. Maybe I am wrong...but from memory (digging through corvette forums, etc) they just weren't putting up 12s every pass... and low 13s were common but not a majority (I ran 13.1 ~ 13.2 @ 107~108mph all day long). There is also extra DTL from their IRS setup and a cam differences between all the cars that can make one better than the other. Honestly I would shoot for an 01+ F-body due to cost vs performance but I also had very good luck with my 01 and obviously I'm jaded.
Actually, if you check the timeslip list in the C5 section over on CF, you will find that there are C5s that have run better stock times than yours, even some pre '01 cars. The '01-'04 would be a more realistic comparasion though. There's at least 4-5 that have run 12.9x or better at 109+ in showroom stock condition. I think the fastest one was a 12.79, which is just slightly faster than the fastest stock LS1 F-body pass (Evan Smith, 12.89 I think?).

No doubt that there are some ringer F-bodies that would beat a more average C5 stock for stock, trans for trans. But the freak C5s do seem to be just a bit faster than the freak F-bodies.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:57 PM
12 Second Club

Actually, if you check the timeslip list in the C5 section over on CF, you will find that there are C5s that have run better stock times than yours, even some pre '01 cars. The '01-'04 would be a more realistic comparasion though. There's at least 4-5 that have run 12.9x or better at 109+ in showroom stock condition. I think the fastest one was a 12.79, which is just slightly faster than the fastest stock LS1 F-body pass (Evan Smith, 12.89 I think?).

No doubt that there are some ringer F-bodies that would beat a more average C5 stock for stock, trans for trans. But the freak C5s do seem to be just a bit faster than the freak F-bodies.
Valid info.. I guess my point is I'm no Evan Smith. LOL
Old 01-13-2012, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 197 Likes on 153 Posts

I am in the market for either a vette or a ws.6 and has narrowed it down to 2. A automatic 2002 ws6 with 118k miles for 12k or a 98 c5 corvette 6speed with 75k miles for 13k just wanted to know which one is faster stock for stock and has less problems and are they the same price to get fixed since there both ls1's? thanks anything else is welcomed also
Corvette all the way. The ws6 has too many miles, and is priced too high as everyone else has pointed out. Unless you're a committed drag racer, I don't see bothering with the F-body. How I would use either a Corvette or F-body definitely colors my opinion though.

I don't beat on my cars, and never go to the drag strip. If you do drag race, the Corvette will get pricey when you break the diff, and the cv shafts. The vette is a handling car, not really a drag machine - though lots of people use it that way.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:06 PM

do the veets have the same rear end as a ws6? and btw i hear the auto fbodys's rear ends hold up alittle better since there not abused as much with it being auto. any ideas?
Old 01-13-2012, 06:27 PM
12 Second Club

No... The fbody uses a solid rear axle while the c5 uses an IRS setup. Completely different.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do the veets have the same rear end as a ws6? and btw i hear the auto fbodys's rear ends hold up alittle better since there not abused as much with it being auto. any ideas?
The autos are easier on the rear because of the fluid coupling, aka, the torque converter. There's less "shock" to the rear with an A4.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:22 PM
Teching In

Having owned both a high mileage WS6 and several high mileage C5's, my vote is for the vette. They seem to take the miles a lot better than the f bodies. I'm sure there are exceptions, but the suspension and steering seemed a lot tighter and faaaar less squeaks and rattles in my vettes.

Still, you can't go wrong either way seems to be the most true statement in this thread.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:04 PM
12 Second Club

Now that's a damn good point! Fbodys creek and rattle when they are brand new let alone after a few years of driving.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

^^Seems like they both do it, all of the C5's I've been in had their fair share of creaks and rattles. As a matter of fact, on my Dad's '07 C6 the Targa actually rattles and that car only has 10,xxx miles on it.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:28 PM
Staging Lane

The auto rear ends last longer than the manuals becuse the 4l60e is such a nice guy that it will usually sacrifice itself long before the the rear end blows!

not only that but most dudes cant do a good burn out in an m6 but any douche with 2 feet can do a burnout in an a4, and some douches without. (no offense to the douches out there, with one foot or two!)
Old 01-13-2012, 08:57 PM
TECH Addict

There both good cars, but it sounds like your more partial to the WS6. With that said I wouldn't rush out and buy the first WS6 you find, or buy the vette if you don't buy the WS6 listed in the OP. I would just try and find a lower mileage WS6 in your area which should be more then doable given your price range and area.

I know it sucks but most of us here have been through the same situation and I know it feels like it takes forever when looking for a car. It took me 6 months to find the right car for me, but now Im glad I waited and didn't buy all the overpriced POS' that I looked at before I found the one I bought.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:41 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah I'm stupid... Saw my car on the lot and was signing 10 minutes later. Derp.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I lve in south central PA and I searched online for about 6 months for a good fbody I could afford and then my wife suggested a Vette. I thought she was crazy with the prices of fbodies. Low and behold I went to prove her wrong and found similar year and milage Vettes and Fbodies were in the same price range. A month later I found a Vette online and drove to Woodbridge VA and drove it home. In 9 months I've put 20k on the clock, throw down excelent gas milage, and went 13.4 on my first pass at the track on street tires. Not to mention I haven't raced a stick in 15 or mor years.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:34 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been semi-serious about searching for a vette and prices on the base C6 coupes are pretty good. I found a '06 C6 with a 6-spd at Carmax (which is usually higher anyway) for 26k with around 40k miles. That's even affordable for me but I still love my Z28 too much to trade her in.

Quick Reply: 98 vette vs 02 ws.6