General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Top end package for a Ls1 Xtreme

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 01:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top end package for a Ls1 Xtreme

Im looking for advice on where to go for a top end, looking to do a bigger cam, heads and a fast 102 tb and intake. I did the swap a little over a year ago in my 2001 Xtreme Blazer and its running mid 13's @103-104 right now with the stock rearend 3.42 gears, I got a 8.5 with a trutrac and 3.73s that just needs to be installed once I get some time. The motor as it sits has about 15k miles on it since it was totally rebuilt, sleeves and pistons where replaced due to the motor sitting out side for 10 years.

Right now its got shorty swap headers with true dual 2.5 exhaust no cats, dual cutouts and 44 flowmasters dumped after the axle. Thunder racing 224/224-112 cam and a little garage porting on stock 98 heads. 2500 stall converter with lockup, stock injectors with a fast fuel rail and aeromotive fuel pressure regulator. Transmission was rebuilt when i put the motor in, with 4l65e internals and a monster in a box kit, and has AN line going to a huge b&m cooler.

I would like to be in the high 4xx hp range, its not my daily driver I got a 2012 cruze M6 eco for that, but its not going to be a track *****. Just something I can cruise in after work and on the weekends that stomps on the little 5.0's running around here in detroit. Its my tribute to my dad that passed away a few months ago that got me this deep into cars. Money wise i'm pretty good just looking to make some good raw power.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey man, where in Detroit are you if you don't mind my asking?
Old 11-04-2012, 07:30 PM
Teching In

Garden City
Old 11-04-2012, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

id suggest looking into the dyno section and maybe the 11's/12's drag racing section. comparing combos is good advice.

fast 102 will be great for any heads/cam combo.

heads depends on how much you want to spend...
lots of good ported stock castings out there...you can even have the ones you have on it ported...or find some on here in the classifieds relatively cheap.
aftermarket heads are awesome, no doubt about it, but will be pricier and may need aftermarket rockers, something to think about...
cam, depends on the combo and what you want to do with it...lots of off the shelf cams that will do the job, i suggest custom cam...25 bucks, give them your combo and what you want to do and its yours....

sounds like an awesome project, spend some time searching around on here and youll find lots of good information.

also-if your looking for high 400 rear wheel horsepower, that will take a lot out of a 346...but 500 crank is relatively not hard. i have tsp stage 1 243's, custom cam, and a fast 95mm...i did 450 to the wheels with a 9in and heavy 19x12s....puts me around 510-520 at the crank...
Old 11-04-2012, 11:25 PM
Teching In

I been kinda going towards the aftermarket route, trickflow or afr heads. rockers seems like Yella Terra are the ones every one brings up. do i need bigger injectors and is 2500 stall going to be big enough for the cam i should be looking at?

I when i did the swap i was making half the money i make now and spent around 6k or so to rebuild the motor and everything involved in the swap. I got a much better full time job now so i can spend some money, Im just looking for a really nice quick little street truck that will turn a few win lights on at the track.

Build video a friend did right after it was finished
Old 11-05-2012, 12:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gotspeed1212
Im looking for advice on where to go for a top end, looking to do a bigger cam, heads and a fast 102 tb and intake. I did the swap a little over a year ago in my 2001 Xtreme Blazer and its running mid 13's @103-104 right now with the stock rearend 3.42 gears, I got a 8.5 with a trutrac and 3.73s that just needs to be installed once I get some time. The motor as it sits has about 15k miles on it since it was totally rebuilt, sleeves and pistons where replaced due to the motor sitting out side for 10 years.

Right now its got shorty swap headers with true dual 2.5 exhaust no cats, dual cutouts and 44 flowmasters dumped after the axle. Thunder racing 224/224-112 cam and a little garage porting on stock 98 heads. 2500 stall converter with lockup, stock injectors with a fast fuel rail and aeromotive fuel pressure regulator. Transmission was rebuilt when i put the motor in, with 4l65e internals and a monster in a box kit, and has AN line going to a huge b&m cooler.

I would like to be in the high 4xx hp range, its not my daily driver I got a 2012 cruze M6 eco for that, but its not going to be a track *****. Just something I can cruise in after work and on the weekends that stomps on the little 5.0's running around here in detroit. Its my tribute to my dad that passed away a few months ago that got me this deep into cars. Money wise i'm pretty good just looking to make some good raw power.
Heck, I'd just throw a 150 shot on it and you will be doing high 11's, especially since your motor is built and the bottle is lots of fun and cheap, but if you wanted more, turbo is the only way to go and you'll have plenty of room under the Blazer hood for a nice 76mm that will make you lay rubber at 60mph!! the money it costs for a "worthy" set of heads and cam you could do a truck manifold flip kit and have all the power you need for close to the same $$$$
Old 11-05-2012, 01:24 AM
On The Tree

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...anna-fast.html Pretty good read.

And to answer your question, no a 2500 stall would not be big enough for the cam you'll need. Yes it'll work, but you'd be leaving a lot on the table. I'd look into the 4K stall IMO. and I didn't see what injectors you currently have, but if they are stock, yes you will need to upgrade those as well.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:02 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mikesanto70
Heck, I'd just throw a 150 shot on it and you will be doing high 11's, especially since your motor is built and the bottle is lots of fun and cheap, but if you wanted more, turbo is the only way to go and you'll have plenty of room under the Blazer hood for a nice 76mm that will make you lay rubber at 60mph!! the money it costs for a "worthy" set of heads and cam you could do a truck manifold flip kit and have all the power you need for close to the same $$$$
there is less room then you would think under the hood lol. don't want to have to fill a bottle every few days/weeks and wreck the motor sooner. i have played with the idea of a turbo but i think the best i could do would be under the passenger seat but i don't really even have the room to bring a intake back up to the front.

Quick Reply: Top end package for a Ls1 Xtreme