General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Insurance.. What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 02:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance.. What to do?

just got done with a full rebuild, motor, trans, rear end, added a turbo kit lol full trans am interior, obviously normal insurance (if anything happens) isn't going to cover this. I currently have USAA and their classic insurance wont cover me because i'm only 22 and have 7 years of driving experience, regardless of the fact that i've never had any ticket ever.. and my normal insurance is only going to give me what a normal value 225k mile camaro is which is what maybe 4k.. i've got more than that in just the motor.. so just a question what are all of you guys doing to make sure you are covered?
Old 04-23-2013, 02:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-l...ine-build.html

this was one of my threads about this same thing. some good answers here.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-l...ine-build.html

this was one of my threads about this same thing. some good answers here.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Have you looked into Grundy? $400 a year for me and full coverage
Old 04-23-2013, 04:15 PM
Banned

You want coverage that has 'agreed value' so that you are covered.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:36 PM
Launching!

Give Robin at Midwest Classic Insurance a call. He brokers a couple of the only two agreed value companies that will let your purchase a rider for daily driving your car (if you're going to) which is American Modern and Infinity. Any of the others like Hagerty, Grundy, et al have in their tiny print that they reserve the right to refuse coverage of a claim based on how/where the damage happened. They say they don't give a **** how you drive your car...well, they don't. They care how you park it if you know what I mean. Locked garage or at a car show pretty much.

My experience with Hagerty:
Filled out the application and under usage put "pleasure" and they had a box for "other" so I checked it and put in "occasional drive to work on a nice day". They called me up and asked about that. I told them I had heard that Hagerty would let you drive your car to work. They said "Yes, we want you to enjoy your car....but we have to put down how many times you're going to drive it to work in a year." I told them I was still building it so I didn't know. They would not process my application until I gave them a hard number. I finally said OK, maybe once a month. They said "Thank you very much" and three days later I got a rejection of coverage letter in the mail for "excessive usage".

Called them up and asked why I got rejected and they told me that was too much driving to work. I told them they forced me to give them a number and said fine, I won't drive it to work and besides the car isn't even driving yet. They said OK call us back once you figure out how you're going to use it.

Applied again nine months later and they called me up. Told me that I had applied before and was told to call back in one year. I told them no, I was told to call back once my car was ready to drive. They said just call us back in a few months. I said kiss my *** and got ANPAC Chrome from a local agent.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:34 PM
Teching In

I had a brand new ls1 in my camaro that I bought from dealer (father in law had a friend that gave me employee discount, cost 2800 plus tax). When I wrecked it, I only had about 6k miles on it, insurance gave me entire amount I spent when I faxed them the receipt, and said for aftermarket parts I could have told them previously to up my coverage.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:37 PM
Launching!

^^^^
This is true. You can select an aftermarket mod $ amount with Progressive also.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:23 PM
Staging Lane

additional aftermarket stuff can be covered most places, just have to pay to cover it

Quick Reply: Insurance.. What to do?