General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Why do some 4th gen sellers think they're sitting on a goldmine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 10:09 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,688 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Originally Posted by darrensls1
But it's also red (not a popular color among f-body fans)
What gave you that idea? Red and black were, on average, the most popular colors for the entire '98-'02 run; in some years red was even the #1 color. I see no indication that red has become undesireable as these cars have gotten older.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
What gave you that idea? Red and black were, on average, the most popular colors for the entire '98-'02 run; in some years red was even the #1 color. I see no indication that red has become undesireable as these cars have gotten older.
Being a member of LS1tech for over 10 years gives me that idea. That's not to say the color didn't sell well enough back in the day. But every thread I have ever seen here regarding favorite color, show pics of your car, ect has red far down on the ls1tech popularity list.

It is obvious to me that the most popular colors here at ls1tech are Black, SOM and NBM (and probably in that order). Silver and Gold also seem to be more popular than red. Again, I'm not talking about GM sales but the pictures of peoples cars here and the sigs I read.

Darren
Old 01-16-2014, 11:09 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Silver and Gold also seem to be more popular than red. Again, I'm not talking about GM sales but the pictures of peoples cars here and the sigs I read.
Gold? Is there another LS1Tech that I don't know about?

Sport Gold Metallic was a very rare color and not at all popular when new nor widely desireable at any time since then, nor was it even offered for most of the LS1 years. Or perhaps you are confusing gold with pewter? Pewter was in fact a pretty popular color starting with its introduction in '99, bumping sliver down to an intermediate level comparable to NBM.

SOM and Hugger Orange have both enjoyed cult followings over the years, and HO especially will often increase value over a similar example in more common/originally popular colors.

I don't see red as a color that hurts value for a car such as this, but I do agree that it's not rare enough to increase value through any sort of cult following either. Red is a neutral-value color on a 4th gen, IMO.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:29 PM
11 Second Club

Gold? Is there another LS1Tech that I don't know about?

Sport Gold Metallic was a very rare color and not at all popular when new nor widely desireable at any time since then, nor was it even offered for most of the LS1 years. Or perhaps you are confusing gold with pewter? Pewter was in fact a pretty popular color starting with its introduction in '99, bumping sliver down to an intermediate level comparable to NBM.
I was in fact referreing to Pewter. I couldn't remember the name off the top of my head but we all know it was GM's version of gold so I knew it would get the point across.

SOM and Hugger Orange have both enjoyed cult followings over the years, and HO especially will often increase value over a similar example in more common/originally popular colors.
Agreed. Especially here at ls1tech. It seems almost every thread I have ever read here about people wanting to get thier cars painted a different color were either going to SOM, hugger orange or black.

I don't see red as a color that hurts value for a car such as this, but I do agree that it's not rare enough to increase value through any sort of cult following either. Red is a neutral-value color on a 4th gen, IMO.
I see your point. Mine is that the car would be even more desireable to a greater crowd "if" it was black, SOM or hugger orange. I also think it would be slightly more desireable as an M6.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gold......????

How can this be called Gold?

I went to buy this thinking it was silver, but it turned out to be Pewter. I would never mistake it for gold.

Back OT.......
Old 01-16-2014, 11:52 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by hutchman
Gold......????

How can this be called Gold?

I went to buy this thinking it was silver, but it turned out to be Pewter. I would never mistake it for gold.

Back OT.......
Look at these pics. These are all pewter trans ams and they are all clearly in the gold family, not silver.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pewt...w=1280&bih=843

Darren
Old 01-16-2014, 11:58 PM
Staging Lane

Sorry, my eyes see a different shade......not gold. Not now, not ever.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:09 AM
11 Second Club

Sorry, my eyes see a different shade......not gold. Not now, not ever.
Sorry but my eyes see it as clear as day.

Pewter Trans am:

http://www.google.com/imgres?sa=X&bi...ed=0CGEQrQMwAg

Looks like gold to my eyes.

Silver Metallic trans am:

http://www.google.com/imgres?biw=128...d=0CIQCEK0DMDY

Looks like silver to my eyes.

One looks gold and one looks silver. Today, now and forever LOL
Old 01-17-2014, 12:17 AM
TECH Addict

I don't think it's worth 24K. At best that car is worth 19K IMO. It's a WS6 and it's low miles. Both good selling points. But it's also red (not a popular color among f-body fans) and it's an A4 (not a popular transmission among f-body fans). It's also a vert which can be a selling point to some and a negative to others.

But it's also winter right now which is the off season for these cars making it a buyers market. Plus the obvious that it's 12 years old and banks don't like loaning big dollar amounts on cars that old.
Yep, I agree. There's no way I'd give even 19k. For that matter, there's no chance I'd pay more for a 4th gen today than a 2002 M3. I just wouldn't do it. I'd possibly pay 15k for that one, considering the low miles, the A4 and the vert... All attributes for me because I wouldn't be buying to race and instead, would drive it because it looks good and is easy.

RED, however, is indeed the drawback for me as well. I have no interest in that. I've just had too many red vehicles. SOM... Yeah, I like that. I also like the purple(can't remember the name). A friend of mine had it on his 95 1LE. The part about that car which really stood out as stupid for him to buy it... No A/C and we were in Florida...
Old 01-17-2014, 12:24 AM
Staging Lane

One looks gold and one looks silver. Today, now and forever LOL
It appears to me that we are in agreement that we disagree!!

And that is OK!

Whether you call my car Pewter, Silver, or Gold does not matter. What matters is whether it puts a grin on my face and that it does!

Carry on...
Old 01-17-2014, 12:37 AM
11 Second Club

It appears to me that we are in agreement that we disagree!!
We do indeed agree to disagree.

Whether you call my car Pewter, Silver, or Gold does not matter. What matters is whether it puts a grin on my face and that it does!
I would call it pewter which IMO puts it in the gold family. I owned a 1999 Silver Camaro way back in the day and that truly looked silver. My neighbor had a Pewter Trans Am WS6 which clearly looked more like gold. When you saw our cars side by side it was a night and day difference in colors.

Both were really sharp looking cars though! I'm glad you are happy with your car. It is a beauty.

Darren

Last edited by darrensls1; 01-17-2014 at 12:57 AM.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:14 AM
Staging Lane

Really off topic, but you make an interesting point.

I've always assumed the when GM bought Pewter paint, they used the same color for both Chevrolet and Pontiac....same model years of course. I suspose though that they might not have.

And even more OT........When i was but a wee lad, in the time before there was a Camaro or Firebird, I lived in Princeton. Not too far from Sandwich!

Sorry for the hijack.....
Old 01-17-2014, 01:37 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

I agree. I too own a pewter car, and there is no way I could ever mistake LPM (pewter) for SGM (gold) when it comes to a 4th gen.

Here is Sport Gold Metallic:

And for comparasion sake, here is a picture of my two current 4th gens (pewter and silver):

All three of these colors are noticeably different to me, but pewter and silver are a much closer match than pewter and gold.

Really off topic, but you make an interesting point.

I've always assumed the when GM bought Pewter paint, they used the same color for both Chevrolet and Pontiac....same model years of course. I suspose though that they might not have.
Light Pewter Metallic was the same for both Pontiac and Chevrolet F-bodies.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:41 AM
Staging Lane

That's a couple of great looking Camaros!
Old 01-17-2014, 01:42 AM
11 Second Club

I agree. I too own a pewter car, and there is no way I could ever confuse LPM (pewter) and SGM (gold) when it comes to a 4th gen.

Here is Sport Gold Metallic:

And for comparasion sake, here is a picture of my two current 4th gens (pewter and silver):

All three of these colors are noticeably different to me, but pewter and silver are a much closer match than pewter and gold.

Light Pewter Metallic was the same for both Pontiac and Chevrolet F-bodies.

I can't see any of those pics on this computer. They are all just little red X's. I've seen a few Pewter TA's in person and I don't see how anyone could confuse that with silver.

But they were also new and showroom quality paint when I saw them up close. Let the sun fade a pewter fbody for a few years and maybe there could be a point to be made.

Of course my car is "arctic white". So it looks white. The only color it could get confused with is black, at least until I wash it, and then it becomes white again

Last edited by darrensls1; 01-17-2014 at 01:54 AM.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:00 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

That's a couple of great looking Camaros!
Thank you sir!

I can't see any of those pics on this computer. They are all just little red X's.
Not sure what the issue is on your end. The pictures show up just fine for me, and apparently for hutchman as well.

I've seen a few Pewter TA's in person and I don't see how anyone could confuse that with silver.

But they were also new and showroom quality paint when I saw them up close. Let the sun fade a pewter fbody for a few years and maybe there could be a point to be made.
I agree. I wouldn't ever confuse pewter for silver either, since I've owned both and am very familiar with both, including having owned brand new examples. But for someone that hasn't seen all three of these colors before, it's possible that they might confuse pewter and silver in pictures with certain types of lighting. However, confusing pewter and Sport Gold would be nearly impossible IMO. Too bad you can't see the pictures I posted, as there is a HUGE contrast between Sport Gold and pewter.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:27 AM
11 Second Club

Not sure what the issue is on your end. The pictures show up just fine for me, and apparently for hutchman as well.

I agree. I wouldn't ever confuse pewter for silver either, since I've owned both and am very familiar with both, including having owned brand new examples. But for someone that hasn't seen all three of these colors before, it's possible that they might confuse pewter and silver in pictures with certain types of lighting. However, confusing pewter and Sport Gold would be nearly impossible IMO. Too bad you can't see the pictures I posted, as there is a HUGE contrast between Sport Gold and pewter.
Well I'm at work so this is my work PC. There is an abundance of blocks on the internet here. I can't see any pics on yahoo searches for example but I can see pics on google searches. Go figure. But I'm sure I'll be able to see the pics at home later.

I did a google search just now on "sport gold trans am" and I see your point. That is a much darker gold color then Pewter is. I saw a pic of a sport gold WS6 and I gotta say I kind of like the color on it. Never seen that color in person though.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 205 Likes on 124 Posts

these cars will never be like the old mopars. Simply to many F bodies made. End of story
Old 01-17-2014, 06:29 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by madmike9396
these cars will never be like the old mopars. Simply to many F bodies made. End of story
tell me about it I have a 73 challenger and my dad has a 70 vert cuda with matching numbers Hemi he is siting on a gold mine there. Love chevy Mopar at heart lol
Old 01-17-2014, 08:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 508 Likes on 366 Posts

Not here either. If red is undesirable I must be mistaken on a lot of compliments I get, never mind the show trophies.
Again, I have no idea how you keep your sanity here. The posts in this section alone about pricing makes my head hurt.
** News bulletin for a few of you young guns: Ultra low mileage one owner MINT condition cars can well exceed price guide values. It's common. It's real, whether you agree or disagree.

Quick Reply: Why do some 4th gen sellers think they're sitting on a goldmine?