General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Okay... I'm confused... Formula or Trans Am?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 99z28monster
LOL the whole 1 of XXX number can be very deceptive. Hell it could just mean someone ordered an awful looking interior color that few others did.
Mine came triple black, just the way I like it... rare or no
Old 02-14-2014, 12:49 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Nope.
If it has a "RamAir" hood from the factory its a WS6. To my knowledge there was never a "RamAir" option, only the WS6 option that included the hood, wheels, bigger front swaybar, raised air lid, different muffler, and slightly better shocks.
This is all correct except the bolded part. I bought my '00 WS6 brand new, and it came with the same factory shocks as my Z28s. I don't know if this was the case for every model year, as I have read reports that some of the earlier WS6 cars ('98 and perhaps some or all of '99 specifically) came with 1LE springs, but the later ones did not. I have never confirmed this myself, but I know that none of the WS6 cars came with 1LE shocks (unless you also added the 1LE package, when still available), though they might have come with some other sort of shock upgrade in certain model years.

Originally Posted by demonspeed
While I'm not up on all the Firebird production figures, I'd wager that a T/A without WS6 is more rare than those with WS6.
I don't remember all the production specs for every model year, but this is definitely correct for the 2002 model year - there were far more WS6 cars produced than regular Trans Ams. Formulas are more rare than either.

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
BTW, you could get the WS6 package on a Formula just to muddle things up.
This is correct, but only for the '98-'00 model years.

Originally Posted by 99z28monster
The WS6 and SS FACTORY equipped cars have the "ram air" air box to go with the hood.
There was no special "ram air" box for the SS cars. The only difference between the air box on an SS vs. a Z28 is a piece of weather stripping along the bottom metal edge below the air box to help "seal" the hood to it. The actual box is the same as a Z28 though.

On the other hand, WS6 cars (Formula OR Trans Am) did in fact receive a different box, with a larger/raised opening as compared to all other V8 models.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WS6 Formula with the 1LE option is the golden ticket as far as I am concerned and I will hunt one down.

1998- 15 made all M6
1999- 20 made all M6

Grand total of Pontiac Formula WS6 with 1LE option 35 cars

Then you can get into the color of the car with 1 of 7 being the most common in 1998 which was black. Than 1 of 6 in 1999 and it was pewter metallic. out side of that its either 1 of 1 or a number lower than 6 or 7 for the given year.

Last edited by 99z28monster; 02-14-2014 at 01:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Okay... I'm confused... Formula or Trans Am?!