General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

What does it mean when someone says an exhaust is "too loud"???

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 06:10 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I was in HS in the days of the Dad Hand-me-down hemi cuda's, chevelles, 70 Camaro ss's. There is a different sound to those cars w/ headers, true duals, cherry bombs.... and chirping the tires as you hit every gear. I've gotten a little older but still need to hear a little rumble.... So my LS is going to get some sound too just havn't decided what. As far as neighbors I guess I must not have too bad of ones. They usually cheer me on when I fire up the old 'Cuda (my first car from HS, completely restored) and do a burn out in the driveway. NO TOO LOUD for this old boy......
Old 02-27-2014, 06:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think a lot of LS, headers, cam, cars sound better with a high flow cat. It eliminates the craziness of some setups to make it more street friendly.

Id also like to know why people freak out about rasp so much? If its not your car keep your damn mouth shut and buy something else that you like better.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An old ford with rodeo pipes is loud. A blown promod is like music.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:32 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nascarnate326
Id also like to know why people freak out about rasp so much? If its not your car keep your damn mouth shut and buy something else that you like better.
Ummm, because rasp sounds like **** and is in no way pleasant to the ears of most people who are forced to listen to an exhaust, and is easily fixed?
Old 02-27-2014, 01:04 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would do something like a magnaflow catback (one of the most mellow for an F-body) and have an electric cutout welded in. Loud and aggressive is always cool at first, but gets old fast.

Then again, I like tone quality more than I like loud and choppy. I would rather listen to an Italian V8, a mild exhaust mod motor mustang, or hell...even a nice sounding VQ over something like a big cam-true duals LS or old school big block. Don't get me wrong, those do sound awesome and kick so much ***; I just couldn't ever live with them. I'd rather drive every day to a combustion symphony than exhaust thunder ******* my ears with no lube.

With a mellow exhaust and a cutout you get the best of both worlds, exactly when you want them.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I hate "snarling", "raspy", "Droning" exhaust notes . . . Most of the "Supercars" fall into this category, because they are typically small-displacement, high-revving motors. RICERS are typical of this, too !

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...rites-features

Old 02-27-2014, 05:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Last edited by ez2cdave; 02-27-2014 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:26 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Liberals would only complain.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:04 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,722 Likes on 1,235 Posts

Originally Posted by ez2cdave
I hate "snarling", "raspy", "Droning" exhaust notes . . . Most of the "Supercars" fall into this category, because they are typically small-displacement, high-revving motors. RICERS are typical of this, too !
I also greatly dislike the high-pitched screaming of the typical exotic/euro-supercar, as well as the higher-pitched tone of the ricers. Old American healthy V8 iron with true duals is far superior in sound quality IMO, with loud OR mellow mufflers. But again, an LS1 with true duals and FM 10s is nearly equal in sound quality IMO.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:25 PM
11 Second Club

I have LTs, ORY, a 3 inch cutout, no cats,
Then my exhaust splits into two where one side is straight piped and the other has a dynomax bullet in it. Plus it's cammed. I love it. Too quiet is too boring. There's also a difference between a good loud and a "this sounds like ****" loud
Old 02-28-2014, 01:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SteveDoten@ARH
Liberals would only complain.
Steve,

Coming from the state of New York, that's a pretty funny comment . . .

You're "barking up the wrong tree", when it comes to me complaining about certain exhaust notes. I'm an ultra-conservative, Evangelical Southern Baptist, bordering on Tea Party beliefs. I'm as "Anti-Liberal", as you're likely to find !

Quick Reply: What does it mean when someone says an exhaust is "too loud"???