General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

I thought all WS6 had TC

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Question I thought all WS6 had TC

I just bought a 2001 WS6 Vert and it doesn't have TC. I thought the WS6 package was fully loaded with all the goodies. Hell, my base 01 had TC.

Option Codes

*IVH is not the definitive source of GM Vehicle RPO information and is intended for service reference only. Should there be any questions about the vehicle's original build or RPO information please refer to the original vehicle invoice or window sticker.
1SA - OPTION GROUP -
1SA 41U - PAINT, BLACK
522 - TRIM, TAUPE
52I - TRIM, TAUPE
56T - TAUPE CONVERTIBLE TOP
6BT - COMPONENT FRT LH COMPUT SEL SUS
7BT - COMPONENT FRT RH COMPUT SEL SUS
8TJ - COMPONENT RR LH COMPUT SEL SUSP
9TJ - COMPONENT RR RH COMPUT SEL SUSP
AAA - STANDARD EQUIPMENT PROCESSING OPTION
AK5 - DUAL FRONTAL AIR BAGS
AQ9 - CUSTOM BUCKET SEATS W/ADJUSTABLE LUMBAR SUPPORTS
BT0 - FLT-BUDGET RENT-A-CAR
C60 - AIR CONDITIONING, CUSTOM
CAF - HANDLING CHARGE-ST. THERESE TO AMERICAN SUNROOF
DG7 - DUAL POWER SPORT MIRRORS
DL5 - DECAL ROADSIDE SERVICE
FE4 - RIDE & HANDLING SPECIAL SUSPENSION SYSTEM
FE9 - 50-STATE LOW EMISSION VEHICLE FLT - FLT-FLEET ORDERS
G80 - LIMITED SLIP TORSEN REAR DIFFERENTIAL
GU5 - REAR PERFORM AXLE, 3.23 RATIO
IL2 - TRIM INTERIOR DESIGN
J65 - BRAKES, PWR 4-WHL,DISC FRT & RR
K43 - 102 AMP GENERATOR
LS1 - 5.7 LITER SFI V8 ENGINE
M30 - AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
MX0 - TRANSMISSION, 4-SPEED AUTOMATIC
NF7 - FEDERAL LOW EMISSION
NP5 - STEERING WHEEL, LEATHER WRAPPED W/LEATHER WRAPPED SHIFT ****
PBT - TEMP. WHL & TIRE-UPFITTER DLVY
QB6 - 17" HIGH POLISHED ALUMINUM WHEELS
QFK - TIRES, P275/40ZR17 SPEED RATED
R7X - SECURITY PACKAGE CONSISTS OF: THEFT DETERRENT SYSTEM REMOTE KEYLESS ENTRY
R9P - POWER PACKAGE INCLUDES: POWER DOOR LOCKS RETAINED ACCESSORY POWER, POWER WINDOWS INCLUDING EXPRESS DOWN DRIVER'S SIDE DUAL POWER SPORT MIRRORS POWER ANTENNA
STE - ASM PLT ST. THERESE
T78 - HEADLAMP CONTROL DELETE
U75 - POWER ANTENNA
UB3 - RALLY GAGES W/TACHOMETER
UK3 - LEATHER WRAPPED STEERING WHEEL W/RADIO CONTROLS
V12 - POWER STEERING COOLING SYSTEM
V2G - CREDIT IN LIEU OF FUEL
V73 - VEHICLE CERTIFICATION U.S.
VM3 - BUMPER STD IMPACT 5 MPH FRT &RR
VQ2 - FLT-SPEC ALLOWANCE-NO H/B
VX7 - FLT-NON-REP LONG TERM DAILY RENTAL PROGRAM
WS6 - RAM AIR PERFORM.& HANDLING PKG: * RAM AIR INDUCTION SYSTEM * FUNCTIONAL AIR SCOOPS * 17" HIGH POLISHED ALUMINUM WHEELS * P275/40ZR17 SPEED RATED TIRES * SPECIFIC LOW RESTRICTION DUAL EXHAUST SYSTEM * SPECIFIC TUNED SUSPENSION * POWER STEERING COOLER
WS9 - FORMULA OPTION
X2O - RADIO, ETR AM/FM STEREO W/COMPACT DISC PLAYER AND GRAPHIC EQUALIZER INC. CLOCK, SEEK UP/DOWN, REMOTE CD PRE- WIRING, MONSOON 500 WATT PEAK POWER WITH 8 SPEAKER PREMIUM SOUND SYSTEM AND STEERING WHEEL, LEATHER WRAPPED, W/RADIO CONTROLS
Y84 -
Old 03-12-2014, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

BTW, what do these codes mean?

And what is Code Y84 (the last code in the list). I'm not sure if it got cut off in the copy and paste, when the list was sent to me, or if I just don't have it.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TC was an option. It was not standard with any package.

BT0 sounds obvious. T78 is new to me, but I assume the headlights are controlled like Camaro headlights, by the sensor.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

So this car, a WS6, was a Budget rent a car? lol
Old 03-13-2014, 01:13 AM
Staging Lane

I own a 99 WS6 without TC. All 4 of my current LS1 cars don't have it for that matter lol
Old 03-13-2014, 09:12 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RONIN LSX
So this car, a WS6, was a Budget rent a car? lol
Yup. It was a fleet sale.

I'd also be happy without TCS -- it's so rudimentary in this era of vehicle that it's more trouble than it's worth, IMO. I love that my '02 doesn't have it!
Old 03-13-2014, 09:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Traction control on a car like this was really just a worthless gimmick. Also happy that I don't have it. A lot of WS6's don't because as was pointed out, it was optional.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

The TC system fitted to these cars are very primitive. Only time I leave mine on is when it could get icy.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:40 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,068 Posts

BTW, what do these codes mean?

And what is Code Y84 (the last code in the list). I'm not sure if it got cut off in the copy and paste, when the list was sent to me, or if I just don't have it.
Y84 was previously used as the RPO for the Trans Am GTA package (3rd gens). I did not have this RPO on my '00 WS6, but rather Y82 (Trans Am package) instead. I see that you don't have Y82.... perhaps this changed in '01?

Originally Posted by 98_1LE
TC was an option. It was not standard with any package.
Correct, RPO NW9.

Originally Posted by 98_1LE
T78 is new to me, but I assume the headlights are controlled like Camaro headlights, by the sensor.
Not on US spec'ed cars. Firebird/Trans Am did not get automatic headlights unless they were spec'ed for Canada. Hence the T78 "delete" option.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

No TC on mine. What's the point.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol... I can't believe this a was rental car at one time and now all you can get is a cheesy 6 banger, these days.

Yeah, I don't care if it has the TC, I just thought all WS6 were fully loaded with the "good stuff". Too ad about the auto lights, that would have been a nice feature, but for some reason I think I read a "How To" write up on it.

Thanks guys!
Old 03-13-2014, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh and BTW.. if you want to read a great horror story, of the day bought it, have a read...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/florida-m...king-real.html

Old 03-14-2014, 03:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup, its an option
Old 03-22-2014, 04:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

My buddy and I were talking about the performance of my WS6 and I mentioned that I was not impressed. I then told him about the Budget Rent-a-Car RPO code (BT0) and he brought up a good point... the car may have a governor on it.

Does anyone know if the Fleet cars had governors put on them? Also, were these (Trans Am WS6) daily rental car or Executive cars? I ask because for a RENTAL 01, it has low miles on it.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:11 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,068 Posts

My buddy and I were talking about the performance of my WS6 and I mentioned that I was not impressed. I then told him about the Budget Rent-a-Car RPO code (BT0) and he brought up a good point... the car may have a governor on it.

Does anyone know if the Fleet cars had governors put on them? Also, were these (Trans Am WS6) daily rental car or Executive cars? I ask because for a RENTAL 01, it has low miles on it.
Have you had the car long enough to put a fresh tank of gas through it? I ask because, if someone had been running 87 octane, then it's possible that the PCM has jumped to the low octane spark table due to detected knock with the 87. That would cause some loss of performance.

I don't think there was any sort of different [detuned] calibration for fleet service. I think it's more likely that the car may need to be caught up on maintenance (filters, tune-up related items, MAF cleaning, injectors may be dirty from crap fuel, etc.)

Rental cars also tend to get beaten and worn out. For example, we currently have a 2013 Malibu rental (wife's car is in for body work) with the 2.5L. My daily driver is a 2010 Malibu with the 2.4L, which makes ~30 less HP, ~30 less TQ, and weighs the same. But somehow, the '13 rental car (which already has almost 40k miles) feels noticeably slower, even though it should feel faster. I think it must have to do with the rough life that rentals tend to live.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

My 2000 Ws6 has TC on it.... I hate it. I just shut it off, but then I get that stupid TCS off light.

So your car has automatic headlights? That's weird.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:53 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Have you had the car long enough to put a fresh tank of gas through it? I ask because, if someone had been running 87 octane, then it's possible that the PCM has jumped to the low octane spark table due to detected knock with the 87. That would cause some loss of performance.

I don't think there was any sort of different [detuned] calibration for fleet service. I think it's more likely that the car may need to be caught up on maintenance (filters, tune-up related items, MAF cleaning, injectors may be dirty from crap fuel, etc.)

Rental cars also tend to get beaten and worn out. For example, we currently have a 2013 Malibu rental (wife's car is in for body work) with the 2.5L. My daily driver is a 2010 Malibu with the 2.4L, which makes ~30 less HP, ~30 less TQ, and weighs the same. But somehow, the '13 rental car (which already has almost 40k miles) feels noticeably slower, even though it should feel faster. I think it must have to do with the rough life that rentals tend to live.
Totally agree with this post. Do some maintenance, and unplug the battery and let set for a bit so the PCM can retrim, with 93 octane (if max performance is the goal).
Old 03-22-2014, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

When I picked it up, I ran slop in it, since it was such a long drive (5 hours), now that I have it home and running, I did put 1/2 a tank of the 93 in there with the 1/4 of slop. Once this runs through, I'll fill her with the 93.

Here's a question that I was just thinking about earlier today about gas... I haven't done the math on price yet, but as far as OCT:$ ratio, would it be more cost effective to run the slop (87/oct) and then add some octane booster or just run 93/oct?

But yeah, I'm sure it need a good tuneup too

Last edited by RONIN LSX; 03-25-2014 at 09:42 PM.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tranz Zam
My 2000 Ws6 has TC on it.... I hate it. I just shut it off, but then I get that stupid TCS off light.

So your car has automatic headlights? That's weird.
No, it doesn't. My RPO just has the code for some reason.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Furious1
Totally agree with this post. Do some maintenance, and unplug the battery and let set for a bit so the PCM can retrim, with 93 octane (if max performance is the goal).
Yeah, I'll unplug the BATT to reset it. Thanks for the tip!

Quick Reply: I thought all WS6 had TC