General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

How To Maintian T-Tops?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 08:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How To Maintian T-Tops?

I have T-tops like many other LS1 owners here, and thankfully they don't leak.

The rubberstripping is in good shape, but a little dirty looking.

How do I make sure that they don't leak in the future like so many do? Wash the rubberstripping when I wash the car every once in awhile? Use a conditioner of some kind? Just trying to keep everything maintained, the car is still new to me and searches don't come up with much for maintaining a t-top, only fixing them.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

about once a month or so when i have them out which is always, i will use some light cleaner or glass cleaner spray and clean all the sealing area and surrounding areas, after they are clean and dry i use some armor all on all the rubber and seals, not alot just enough to coat it. ive had 2 camaros 1 of them for 13 years, never had a leak. and otherwise just be careful with them not to tear any seals, shud be good to go.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:27 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,727 Likes on 1,239 Posts

303 Aerospace is the product I would recommend for best protection of such surfaces as weather stripping.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I use GM Dielectric Silicone Grease for all the seals.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

I actually don't remember what the seals look like for T-Top cars but if the same as in convertibles I will give you my true and tried method that was just heavily tested on a recent trip to the FL Keys.
Clean thoroughly right from the beginning. Heavy application of Armorall which i actually massage into the rubber with my fingers (yes its gross and greasy). Let it sit for 30 minutes. Now we need to get rid of that greasy feel with Mother's or Meguiar's detailer. I spray it heavily on a sponge and go over all the stripping. The Armorall greasy feel will be gone but will still be doing it's job for the rubber. Any new dirt/dust isn't attracted to the detailer either. The rubber will feel ultra soft and pliable and seal wonderfully. I repeat this process every Spring season even though my car is garage kept. After 13 years now the rubber is still as close to perfect as possible. That FL Keys trip I mentioned earlier included two torrential overnight storms while the car was parked in the motel parking lot. I expected major puddles inside the car. NOT ONE DROP!! All my hard work paid off.
** A side note: Please ignore all the internet myths about Armorall causing problems. They were started by competitors and perpetrated by, "my friend knows a friend who's dash was destroyed...." I used their products for decades when I lived in FL and not one crack on my dash on any car I ever owned (and that's leaving the car out on those 90 degree FL summer days while working). My convertible experiences with the rubber stripping backs it up as well.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:50 AM
On The Tree

I was sent some free samples of Lexol Premium Protectant for Rubber & Vinyl last year and have been using it on the rubber seals of all my cars.

Over the years I have used many products, but after trying the Lexol on the DD it was noticeably quieter and squeak free. So now I go over the SS seals with it about every other wash and my T-tops for the most part have quit making noise.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:53 PM
TECH Resident

Spray silicone lubricant will do the trick. Gm recommends it for weather stripping as a maintenance step.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99z28monster
Spray silicone lubricant will do the trick. Gm recommends it for weather stripping as a maintenance step.
Spray silicone but I spray it into the cap and then use a foam brush to apply to the rubber.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:51 PM
Staging Lane

Baby oil works great
Old 04-13-2014, 08:12 PM
Teching In

I just did all the seals in my TA with 3M Silicone paste #08946, ran me $20.00 for 8oz.
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...glTZ5RSNPDSLbl
The GM dielectric grease is fine as well though it cost more.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I use 1Z Einszett Gummi Pfledge rubber care. I use it on all weather stripping and never had any issues with it.

Quick Reply: How To Maintian T-Tops?