General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Legal question?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Legal question?

It has been a long time since I've posted. Crazy how things change when you become a Dad. The Z06 had to go, but I managed to get a low mile WS6 and sit on it waiting for the day to mod yet again. My son really wants to ride in the car, I have removed the rear seats. My question is since its legal to put a car seat in a single cab Silverado passenger side, would it be legal to put the seat in the passenger side of the WS6. My son is 4 and I would rather him be in a car seat than a booster. He is tall enough for a booster, but I know it is not as safe. Ive never seen this asked and answered. I have friends who do this in Vettes all the time. If you have legal insight please help?
Old 05-07-2014, 09:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

I'm sure someone will help you out with an answer but isn't amazing how people survived in the past without these mandated safety laws. It's mind boggling to think how much gov't has changed our lives. My Dad simply used to hold his arm out to hold me in place when he braked hard. My Mother did too. Here I am. The horrors!
Old 05-07-2014, 09:42 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Funny... I just read the Camaro owners manual to check on child seat placement as my Camaro is a temporary DD right now. It states that while the rear seats are preferred, the front may be used.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you still have seat belts in the back? Maybe you can just strap it in right on the floor.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NC01TA
I'm sure someone will help you out with an answer but isn't amazing how people survived in the past without these mandated safety laws. It's mind boggling to think how much gov't has changed our lives. My Dad simply used to hold his arm out to hold me in place when he braked hard. My Mother did too. Here I am. The horrors!
Exactly, my father says the same thing. Thankfully He and my Uncle survived the rides with grandma in the Vega lol. I know Silverado's have an off switch for the passenger air bag. So maybe if I disconnect or remove the pass airbag it would be legal. I just can find a straight answer, might have to ask a officer if their opinion.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:18 PM
Launching!

Owners manual for my 79ta says if you don't have a car seat to stand the toddler up behind you and have them hold onto the seat back haha
Old 05-10-2014, 01:16 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Smoking and lots of tanning were also healthy then too. lol. While I'm glad I never had to deal with sitting in a booster seat until I was 10 years old, my kids will be in one as long as it's safer for them. My ex father-in-law is a retired firefighter of 40 years. I've heard some bad stories of little kids in wrecks that weren't buckled in correctly, especially from the old days. One in particular where a little girl ended up in a bad way with the springs under the front seat.

That said, OP, you should be fine with him in the front. I agree with the idea to use a car seat and not a booster too. My kids are 5 and 7 and still use convertible seats that will eventually turn into boosters. Better safe than sorry. Just take 10 mins to pull the airbag fuse before he goes for a ride.
Old 05-10-2014, 03:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

op, booster seat in the front seat is accaeptable, child seatis as well, so long as its back far enough for the airbag to not injur, i.e., seat all the way back and slightly reclined.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and after re reading, i agree with above, pull airbag fuse is good idea just in case, i may do this as well, as i have roll cage now and kid ride in front seat occasionally.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here is the actual law in TN. I have read it and it is kind of vague. My son is 4 and of course over 20 pounds. The law says "rear seat if available", or "according to vehicle manufacturers instructions". So if the manual says "rear seat preferred but front seat may be used" I should be ok?

Children under one (1) year of age, or any child, weighing twenty (20) pounds or less, must be secured in a child passenger restraint system in a rear facing position, meeting federal motor vehicle safety standards, in a rear seat, if available, or according to the child safety restraint system or vehicle manufacturer's instructions. (Note: If the child safety seat has a higher rear-facing weight rating, usually 30 or 35 pounds, it may be continued to be used in a rear-facing position so long as the child's weight permits. Check the manufacturers instructions accompanying the child safety seat for more information.)
Children age one (1) through age three (3), and weighing more than twenty (20) pounds, must be secured in a child safety seat in a forward facing position in the rear seat, if available, or according to the child safety restraint system or vehicle manufacturer's instructions.
Children age four (4) through age eight (8), and measuring less than four feet nine inches (4'9") in height, must be secured in a belt-positioning booster seat system, meeting federal motor vehicle safety standards in the rear seat, if available, or according to the child safety restraint system or vehicle manufacturer's instructions. (Note: If the child is not between age four (4) and age eight (8), but is less than four feet nine inches (4'9") in height, he/she must still use a seat belt system meeting federal motor vehicle safety standards.)

Quick Reply: Legal question?