General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

misshift from 3rd to 2nd

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 08:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default misshift from 3rd to 2nd

Have a stock ws6 m6 and was messing around on the highway with my buddy (g8) and brother (c6) and we were running each other for fun. Like an idiot I shifted from 3rd to second and car obviously didn't like it. I hit the clutch right after and put it in neutral and brought rpms down. No ses light is on and car seems to drive normal. With having long tubes no cats and gmmg exhaust I can't tell if I have any extra noises coming from the engine. Not like the ls1 engines are noiseless in stock form either. No liquids are dripping either. Any well to tell if I did any damage? Car seems to run normal too.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:04 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If anything, you may have bent some push rods. It'll run fine but might have a slight miss every now and then. You'd need to pull the valve covers and rocker arms to check.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Is it safe to drive for the time being? Moving in a few weeks and don't have the time to get it done before hand. I can leave it parked for now. Just need to know if I can drive it to the new house (30 miles)
Old 06-21-2014, 07:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I missed a shift SEVERAL years ago and it was so bad, I actually got wheel hop! I was shocked, but no damage was done to the motor. Every now and then, you can get lucky. If everything seems normal, keep an eye (and ear) on it, but you may still be OK.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

do you hit your rev limiter?

3rd to 2nd isnt the worst thing if you caught it quickly. these motors are tough. not indestructible but they can take a beating if well maintanied.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:35 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't worry if it seems as it was before. Even if you did bend a pushrod or two, you can still drive around -- I bent two of mine (one with an "s" curve!) and the car drove fine.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Guess I got lucky, I misshifted from 2nd to 5th. Didn't kill my motor but killed my clutch which was about to go anyway

OP first thing you should do after checking if your motor is ok is get a good shifter so it doesn't happen again...
Old 06-21-2014, 11:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a VERY common problem with our cars as i have read on here several times, I've actually only done it one time since ive owned my car and pretty sure it didnt affect or hurt nothing that i know of(its been a couple of years and my car still runs DAMN hard judging from the outcome of my races). I'd get a MGW shifter to make sure it doesnt happen again, i know i plan on getting one when my moneys right.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I already have a mgw shifter...I'm just THAT much of an idiot...Wanted to beat my brother bad :/ good to know though that I didn't grenade my car. Still plan on going through it when I have time.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Done this before too. I actually did it so bad, like someone else, I got wheelhop and thought the rearend was gonna get yanked out of the car. As far as I know, the engine is ok--doesn't sound any different. As long as it sounds/drivers normal, unless you want to be absolutely sure and pull the valve covers/rocker arms to check pushrods, drive it.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:32 AM
Teching In

Purchasing a short shifter Imo is the answer here...One of the first things i did after buying my camaro was getting a lou short stick...and then I cut THAT piece down a couple inches....never have missed any downshifts since....i still don't get why our stock shifters are positioned just under the air vents...lol
Old 06-24-2014, 03:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lou short stick won't fit in my mgw. Would love it if it did though.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Drive a manual trans car long enough and you will eventually blow a shift like this.
Been there, done that. Mine drove fine but eventually ended up replacing the push rods when one finally broke on a 2nd gear powershift. Limped the car around for a couple days until I got the Chromoly replacements.
As said above a proper shifter (I had a Hurst Billet Plus with a Lou's Short Stick) goes a long way towards alleviating the missed shift.

Quick Reply: misshift from 3rd to 2nd