General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Wheel hop.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014 | 01:17 PM
Staging Lane

Default Wheel hop.

What is the best way to get rid of my wheel hop, in a 2000 6 speed Z28. When ever I pop the clutch and get sideways or do a donut... The rear end hops like crazy!!!
Old 07-31-2014 | 01:50 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by MaroMobZ28
What is the best way to get rid of my wheel hop, in a 2000 6 speed Z28. When ever I pop the clutch and get sideways or do a donut... The rear end hops like crazy!!!
The easiest and best way to get rid of wheel hop is with a good set of lower control arms and lower control arm relocation brackets. I would recommend our BMR non-adjustable lower control arms (TCA001) and our BMR bolt-in lower control arm relocation brackets (CAB002).

BMR non-adjustable lower control arms (TCA001)

BMR bolt-in lower control arm relocation brackets (CAB002)

If there is anything we can help you out with just let us know.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 07-31-2014 | 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

i had wheelhop and i added all at the same time BMR sfc's; lca's & panhard bar problem solved! i should pick up some relocation brackets any sales coming up on those?
Old 07-31-2014 | 02:00 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by DANOZ28
i had wheelhop and i added all at the same time BMR sfc's; lca's & panhard bar problem solved! i should pick up some relocation brackets any sales coming up on those?
Generally most of our sales happen around the end of the year during the holidays but get with me when you are ready for them and I will make sure we get you taken care of.

Old 07-31-2014 | 05:19 PM
TECH Resident

Bad shocks will also cause wheel hop, But since you said getting sideways and doing doughnuts you might want to refrain from those unless you intend to replace the 10bolt in the very very near future.
Old 07-31-2014 | 05:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Chances are the shocks are bad....go push down on the hatch, if it bounces like a lowrider change the shocks first. That's what was wrong with mine. Just curious where are you located.....Cali? Los Angeles?
Old 07-31-2014 | 07:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

i also have BMR LCAs and brackets. i pretty much have a fully modded suspension but what tires are you running right now?
Old 07-31-2014 | 09:14 PM
TECH Addict

Try the LCA relocation brackets first (w/stock lca's). For me, hooks like crazy and quiet/smooth as silk. Are you lowered or all stock?
Old 07-31-2014 | 10:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ls1ya
Chances are the shocks are bad....go push down on the hatch, if it bounces like a lowrider change the shocks first. That's what was wrong with mine. Just curious where are you located.....Cali? Los Angeles?
I'm located in the Bay Area bro

Originally Posted by N20zuki
Bad shocks will also cause wheel hop, But since you said getting sideways and doing doughnuts you might want to refrain from those unless you intend to replace the 10bolt in the very very near future.
To be honest bro I have blown the rear end out on every one of my muscle cars. It's just what I do.. I can't help but to swang the car.. It's something I can't even explain I could be having the worst day ever. And when I pop that clutch everything negative will go away.

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
i also have BMR LCAs and brackets. i pretty much have a fully modded suspension but what tires are you running right now?
275/40/19s. C6s with the spacer.

Originally Posted by ragtopz28
Try the LCA relocation brackets first (w/stock lca's). For me, hooks like crazy and quiet/smooth as silk. Are you lowered or all stock?
The car is lowered, I didn't do it myself when I bought the car the guy said the rear shocks where compressed. To give it the lowered look.
Old 08-01-2014 | 08:53 AM
TECH Addict

The car is lowered, I didn't do it myself when I bought the car the guy said the rear shocks where compressed. To give it the lowered look.
...anyway it's lowered you need LCA relocation brackets.
Old 08-01-2014 | 02:18 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I am not sure what the guy meant by saying that the rear shocks were compressed but if the shocks have a bunch of mileage then they could be an issue also. But since the car is lowered I can tell you for sure that the lower control arm angle is off but can easily be fixed with the relocation brackets.

Old 08-01-2014 | 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

You don't need relocation brackets because your car was lowered... my car is lowered a little over an inch and with just good Bilstein shocks and 1LE style LCA bushings I got rid of all my wheelhop.
Old 08-01-2014 | 05:55 PM
TECH Addict

You right....what does a suspension guru and other posters who have chased this know...
Old 08-01-2014 | 08:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

275/40/19s. C6s with the spacer.
ok,is it a DR type tire.
Old 08-02-2014 | 04:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

You right....what does a suspension guru and other posters who have chased this know...
I generally listen to Sam Strano for advise on suspension setups, and he does not recommend relocation brackets if you care about handling. BMR is trying to sell something, of course they're gonna say you NEED something that they just happen to sell.

There are plenty of people lowered with stock LCAs that have no wheelhop problems, myself included.

Another issue to look at it is wheels and tires. He's running a 19 inch wheel... which is most likely very heavy and makes the shocks (which are probably 14 year old Decarbons that are totally worn out) work even harder to keep the axle under control. AND the tire has very little sidewall to absorb the shock of dumping the clutch. This guy doesn't need to spend money on parts that are meant for drag cars... first things first, look at a proper spring/shock combo (not "compressed shocks for that lowered look" as he said the previous owner claimed), switch out old dry rotted bushings, and also put a properly sized wheel/tire setup on the car.
Old 08-02-2014 | 06:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Latch
Another issue to look at it is wheels and tires. He's running a 19 inch wheel... which is most likely very heavy and makes the shocks (which are probably 14 year old Decarbons that are totally worn out) work even harder to keep the axle under control. AND the tire has very little sidewall to absorb the shock of dumping the clutch. This guy doesn't need to spend money on parts that are meant for drag cars... first things first, look at a proper spring/shock combo (not "compressed shocks for that lowered look" as he said the previous owner claimed), switch out old dry rotted bushings, and also put a properly sized wheel/tire setup on the car.
Thanks man I think ima try and find a pair of 10 spokes to put on, the 19 inch tires are hella expensive anyways
Old 08-02-2014 | 08:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Latch
All valid points^^ I was just speaking from experience...a lowered car will have neg. LCA angle (potentially increasing wheel hop for a 'clutch dumping, donut cutting OP). My car is lowered with LCA RB in lowest hole and it plants the **** out of the tires w/stock LCA's. I was merely suggesting a best-bang-for-the-buck for the OP to consider.
Old 08-03-2014 | 04:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

All valid points^^ I was just speaking from experience...a lowered car will have neg. LCA angle (potentially increasing wheel hop for a 'clutch dumping, donut cutting OP). My car is lowered with LCA RB in lowest hole and it plants the **** out of the tires w/stock LCA's. I was merely suggesting a best-bang-for-the-buck for the OP to consider.
Your car probably has substantially more done to it based on just your signature, like a stall, nitrous, cam, etc. and I imagine needs the brackets to launch... but the OP should really consider going through his suspension and looking for worn out parts that need attention before looking at anything else. There's no point in buying fancy aftermarket control arms and brackets and installing them on a car with worn out suspension. A car from 2000 is 14 years old... and generally cars that old aren't in perfect condition. Hell my '02 was only 7 years old when I bought it with 48k miles and the shocks were already shot, the stock LCA bushings were worn out, as were the stock sway bar endlinks.

Although I would bet that the single biggest cause of wheel hop for the OP is that wheel and tire setup... heavy wheels plus low profile tires is not going to perform anything like stock.
Old 08-03-2014 | 02:05 PM
TECH Junkie

LCA's, SFC's, better rear sway bar, and some MT Dr's...you should be good to go.

Quick Reply: Wheel hop.