General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Will Volant CAI for a Firebird work on my Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 02:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will Volant CAI for a Firebird work on my Camaro?

I am probably posting in the wrong place but oh well. I may have found a good deal on a Volant CAI for a firebird. Will it work on my 2000 SS with a Z-style hood? I searched the treads for my answer with no success.

Old 03-09-2015, 03:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by josephholtinsurance
I am probably posting in the wrong place but oh well. I may have found a good deal on a Volant CAI for a firebird. Will it work on my 2000 SS with a Z-style hood? I searched the treads for my answer with no success.

I don't believe so and if it did. I would pass. The housings on those older Volant are very flimsy and gets worse with heat. That's probably why you're getting such a good deal on it. If you want real proven power this is what you should get ...

http://www.coloradospeed.com/ftp-hig...s1-p-7312.html
Old 03-10-2015, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree, get a aftermarket lid (any lid will do it doesn't have to be that one) and a SSRA or chris1313 ram air kit.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fry_
I agree, get a aftermarket lid (any lid will do it doesn't have to be that one) and a SSRA or chris1313 ram air kit.
Actually it should be that one. That one fits better than the SLP, which we do carry also, and also flows better than the SLP. That is why it is our best seller. I do not care for the SSRA or ram air kits which we do carry. A little over kill for NA cars and doesn't pull more power in my opinion.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:58 AM
Staging Lane

I have a filter and lid setup already. I want a Volant cai to make my z- style hood a ram air air intake.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any open cone filter IMHO is not helping you unless it's totally sealed up to the hood. All you're doing is sucking in HOT engine bay air. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. Your best option is going to be the CHRS1313 ram air. It's been proven again and again here on LS1tech
Old 03-12-2015, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you really want to make the hood functional you could seal it to the lower air box like a WS6 with a BG ram air kit, but a SSRA or chris1313 ram air kit would still probably work better.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=josephholtinsurance;18705950]I have a filter and lid setup already. I want a Volant cai to make my z- style hood a ram air air intake.

Not too long ago I wanted the volant, just for something different. I wasn't looking for hp increase, just something different. I installed it, but wanted something still different. So I got help from a guy on here last year (01badbird) and decided to make it work. With my volant I used foam on the top of the volant to seal it good. After doing alot of reading and searching, I noticed alot of motors with filters in the engine bay and not boxed in. So I don't see why the volant wouldn't work for your camaro.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:18 PM
Launching!

Wow, that's beautiful.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm actually doing before and after dyno results with a 104 mm lid vs the k&n FIPK in a couple weeks. I'll report back.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:08 PM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=sleepinghawk;18708106]
Originally Posted by josephholtinsurance
I have a filter and lid setup already. I want a Volant cai to make my z- style hood a ram air air intake.

Not too long ago I wanted the volant, just for something different. I wasn't looking for hp increase, just something different. I installed it, but wanted something still different. So I got help from a guy on here last year (01badbird) and decided to make it work. With my volant I used foam on the top of the volant to seal it good. After doing alot of reading and searching, I noticed alot of motors with filters in the engine bay and not boxed in. So I don't see why the volant wouldn't work for your camaro.

Thanks for being helpful. My question is more along the lines of if the dual cone design would physically fit on a Camaro since there was designed for a bird?
Old 03-13-2015, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CO_BlackHawk
Wow, that's beautiful.
Thank you! Waiting on new filters so it's gonna change again!
Old 03-13-2015, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=josephholtinsurance

Thanks for being helpful. My question is more along the lines of if the dual cone design would physically fit on a Camaro since there was designed for a bird?

ok, gotcha.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by scotty2000ss
I'm actually doing before and after dyno results with a 104 mm lid vs the k&n FIPK in a couple weeks. I'll report back.
What were your results? The guy who modified my LS3 intake (Rick Crawford out of NC) is recommending I upgrade my lid to the 104mm version for better performance. I'm looking for validation that it's worth the money over what I have now, the 85mm lid.

Quick Reply: Will Volant CAI for a Firebird work on my Camaro?