General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Is it ok to change oil after winter without starting first?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 12:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is it ok to change oil after winter without starting first?

I stored my 1999 TA for the winter (about 2 months) and it was about 2K mi overdue for an oil change. Can I do an oil change without warming the car up? Or will it be fine to start up after sitting for two months and then change the oil? Newbie question I think lol
Old 03-15-2015, 04:06 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,060 Posts

One more cold start on the old oil isn't going to do any measurable harm at this point. Personally I would warm it up first to get better drainage prior to the change, but if it makes you feel better to change it before starting the engine then you can do that too. But if the garage you stored it in is still cold, then you can expect that oil to take a bit of time to drain out.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:15 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I always run my cars hot before changing the oil that goes for older oil too. My car has been sitting like yours maybe 3-4 months. The oil only has about 1k on it. I will run that oil until it hits 3-3.5k or so.
Old 03-15-2015, 01:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the oil will take longer to drain out like mentioned but it will come out... my concern would be filter removal they can be pretty stubborn when cold compared to warm and definitely be sure the filter oring gasket doesn't stick to the block at the oil filter mounting pad its more likely to stick I feel after being stuck there and cold so long , double gasket will fail quickly.
Old 03-15-2015, 01:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Always recommended to check oil level and perform oil changes at operating temperature.
Old 03-15-2015, 06:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

i agree running your car to make it easier to drain is a good idea.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:29 PM
Staging Lane

Next year change the oil before putting in storage. Better to have fresh oil sit than dirty crap all winter.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by FirstLSx
Next year change the oil before putting in storage. Better to have fresh oil sit than dirty crap all winter.
Here's the winner! No way I let older oil sit in the engine all winter.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

is full synthetic oil with less than 3k miles really old?
Old 03-17-2015, 09:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by DANOZ28
For storage purposes, YES!
Old 03-17-2015, 01:21 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Originally Posted by DANOZ28
That depends on how much less than 3k miles, and how the engine was used over the course of said mileage.

If you are referring specifically to the OP of this thread, he stated that the oil was 2k miles overdue for a change, not that there was only 2k miles total on the oil. So in his case I would say that it really should have been changed out prior to storage IMO.

I never change the oil in mine prior to storage, but usually I have only about ~500-1000 miles at most on the oil at that time. I don't do short trips or severe driving, so such little mileage on good quality oil with a top shelf filter is really nothing at all.

If you don't start the engine during winter storage, then the only harm you'd ever see from "old" oil sitting in the pan would be if the oil was filled with contaminants. The increased wear protection of fresh oil isn't doing you any good if the engine is dormant, and if the oil is still relatively fresh then there is no worry of internal corrosion from it just sitting in the pan for a few months of cold winter storage.

So again, it all depends on the various factors involved from one example to the next.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Isn't the whole point of waiting around for a bit before doing an oil change to get as much of it in the pan do be drained? What's the point of startig it up and getting the oil all over the engine then dropping the pan bolt to drain it out? You've given the oil 2 months to settle in the pan, and while it may take a bit longer it's not like it's molasses or anything like that.

Also 200* oil is no fun to change...
Old 03-22-2015, 07:45 AM
TECH Regular

Personally, I would start the car with the "old" oil in it, get it nice and hot before draining it. The main reason being that if you change the filter out on a cold engine, the initial couple of seconds of "high idle" pulling air through the oil filter makes a dreadful noise. Priming the filter lessens this somewhat, but doesn't eliminate it. As mentioned, hot oil drags out all the contaminants faster and more completely than cold oil, another good reason to drain the oil from a fully warmed motor.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by FirstLSx
That is just a waste of perfectly good oil and money. Let the oil sit in there and change it before you start the new season. There is no reason to change the oil to only have it sit for months in the crankcase. The old stuff isn't doing any harm.

Originally Posted by redtan
Isn't the whole point of waiting around for a bit before doing an oil change to get as much of it in the pan do be drained? What's the point of startig it up and getting the oil all over the engine then dropping the pan bolt to drain it out? You've given the oil 2 months to settle in the pan, and while it may take a bit longer it's not like it's molasses or anything like that.

Also 200* oil is no fun to change...
Yep.
Just start the engine to back it out of its spot/drive up on the ramps, shut it off, and change the oil. There is no need to get the engine stupid hot before doing it unless you just enjoy the added excitement of hot oil on your skin.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

As mentioned, hot oil drags out all the contaminants faster and more completely than cold oil, another good reason to drain the oil from a fully warmed motor.
On a regular oil change, there are usually 5000 miles driven with the oil hot that does exactly that. You think a few more minutes of having the hot oil dragging out contaminants from the engine will make that much of a difference?
Old 03-23-2015, 07:12 PM
TECH Regular

Yes I do.

Quick Reply: Is it ok to change oil after winter without starting first?