General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Why the LS is the Greatest Engine

Old 11-13-2017, 08:56 AM
LS1Tech Editor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Why the LS is the Greatest Engine

Why the LS is the Greatest Engine
By Christopher Hurst

Everyone remembers their first time in a Vette. Sure you can extract 1,000hp from the 2JZ found in the Toyota Supra or the RB26 that came from Nissan’s skyline, but you can’t do it like the Corvette. Love it or hate it you can’t ignore the following facts:

Old 11-13-2017, 09:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Good article!
Old 11-13-2017, 06:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You forgot size
"Big ole" LS1 vs "tiny" 3.5L V6

LS1 vs 4L lexus V8

LS vs coyote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:53 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,462 Likes on 1,054 Posts

^ An excellent point above. Forget about HP per Liter/CI when comparing engine efficiency - what's more important, especially in the performance world, is HP per external engine size/weight (not to mention complexity.)
Old 11-14-2017, 09:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
You forgot size
"Big ole" LS1 vs "tiny" 3.5L V6

LS1 vs 4L lexus V8

LS vs coyote
Is that first picture a Ford EcoPOS or the older N/A version that it's based off of?

Also what motors weigh 100-200 lbs less than an aluminum LS motor? All aluminum 4bangers? Most V8's I can think of weigh more. Maybe someone like Ferrari might have a lighter V8 but IDK. There are even all aluminum V6's that weigh noticeably more. The Ford EcoPOS is a great example. Maybe someone should do a LS swap in a new FGT? Lol. Also from my understand LS longblocks generally don't gain as much weight as other V8's when you dress them out.

I can see gaining 200 lbs if you swap a small displacement, N/A, aluminum sub-V8 with an iron block LS motor.

I tell people that LS motors are better than their V8 competition because they are more efficient. Then they get their panties wadded and claim BS that DOHC motors make more HP per L and I say that's the only thing there more efficient at. Still that's totally irrelevant for anything other than HP per displacement bragging rights, and racing league displacement limitations. LS motors are physically smaller, more compact, lighter, they carry their weight lower in the chassis, and despite all that they will support much larger displacement. Plus they get at least as good a MPG's and will happily turn much lower RPM's than most modern motors while lugging a vehicle down the highway. Seems pretty efficient to me. LS motors also have way more options for making big power than other motors. With other motors there's like a single mindset off making big power. While with a LS there's many different ways to go about modding large power. You can build a large ci motor, or a screamer, or boost, etc. How is a LS motor less efficient than a DOHC motor again? Oh yeah HP per displacement.

I tell Mustang guys that a Mustang with a LS swap is a lighter, better balanced, and better handling car than they are with their Ford V8 on top of the power benefits that their get and are doing the swap for in the first place. With all that said I'm not going to knock the Coyote too much. It's one badass little 5 liter motor with a lot of potentially when you throw boost at it. Even with boltons and other N/A mods thoses cars are pretty fast.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JROC
Is that first picture a Ford EcoPOS or the older N/A version that it's based off of?
Its a Nissan VQ.
Also what motors weigh 100-200 lbs less than an aluminum LS motor? All aluminum 4bangers? Most V8's I can think of weigh more. Maybe someone like Ferrari might have a lighter V8 but IDK. There are even all aluminum V6's that weigh noticeably more. The Ford EcoPOS is a great example. Maybe someone should do a LS swap in a new FGT? Lol. Also from my understand LS longblocks generally don't gain as much weight as other V8's when you dress them out.

I can see gaining 200 lbs if you swap a small displacement, N/A, aluminum sub-V8 with an iron block LS motor.

I tell people that LS motors are better than their V8 competition because they are more efficient. Then they get their panties wadded and claim BS that DOHC motors make more HP per L and I say that's the only thing there more efficient at. Still that's totally irrelevant for anything other than HP per displacement bragging rights, and racing league displacement limitations. LS motors are physically smaller, more compact, lighter, they carry their weight lower in the chassis, and despite all that they will support much larger displacement. Plus they get at least as good a MPG's and will happily turn much lower RPM's than most modern motors while lugging a vehicle down the highway. Seems pretty efficient to me. LS motors also have way more options for making big power than other motors. With other motors there's like a single mindset off making big power. While with a LS there's many different ways to go about modding large power. You can build a large ci motor, or a screamer, or boost, etc. How is a LS motor less efficient than a DOHC motor again? Oh yeah HP per displacement.

I tell Mustang guys that a Mustang with a LS swap is a lighter, better balanced, and better handling car than they are with their Ford V8 on top of the power benefits that their get and are doing the swap for in the first place. With all that said I'm not going to knock the Coyote too much. It's one badass little 5 liter motor with a lot of potentially when you throw boost at it. Even with boltons and other N/A mods thoses cars are pretty fast.
This is what Ive been saying for years.
Its funny over a decade ago all the import fanboys would try (fail) and knock on American V8s and now you see nothing but LSx swaps into their cars
Old 11-15-2017, 11:34 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 193 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
This is what Ive been saying for years.
Its funny over a decade ago all the import fanboys would try (fail) and knock on American V8s and now you see nothing but LSx swaps into their cars
I remember being impressed by HP/L stats back in the 80's. That's how dated that point of view is. Compare the total number of moving parts between a DOHC V8, or even V6 for that matter, to an LSx, along with the aforementioned weight, size, fuel economy, torque curve, etc. and it's a no brainer as to what the most "sophisticated engineering" is.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i love ls1 cars but ill take a supra with a 2jztte over a ls1 ANY DAY
Old 11-16-2017, 11:58 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,462 Likes on 1,054 Posts

Originally Posted by 87c10
ill take a supra with a 2jztte over a ls1 ANY DAY
Old 11-17-2017, 04:57 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh I'm not a millennial either so I'm not on the fast and furious nut sack , f body and vetts are like butt holes ....everyone has one. 2jz supras on the other hand ....you don't see driving down the road every day.
as I build a lq4 c10

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why the LS is the Greatest Engine