General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Supercharged ls3 thrown rod

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 06:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharged ls3 thrown rod

wondering if anyone has any ideas why and how a supercharged ls3 now has a hole in the side of the block
i live in Australia and have a 72 chevelle with supercharged ls3. 580hp and running 14psi through the charger. The engine had less then 10000miles on it but only had a two year warranty. This week was getting a tune because had a small issue with boost lagg in 4. Got the phone call from the tuner telling me to come in. Turns out total disaster through a rod. Devastated was a understatement. Been scratching me head to figure why this happened as I thought ls3 was pretty bullet proof. This car has never had a hard time or raced just cruised around on weekends. The rod let go at 3000rpm and previous tunes car was taken to limiter for a split second. It has 12 degrees of timing in it. Can anyone please give me advice how or why this has happened. Open to any comments
Old 05-11-2018, 10:49 AM
FormerVendor

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Cracked Rods ?

Hi, I would like to know if you have the Cracked Rods OR Forged ?

Lance
Old 05-11-2018, 04:24 PM

Hi lance. To be honest I'm not really sure until I pull motor down I'm don't think there forged
Old 05-11-2018, 05:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Biggest question why is it low on power like that. With 14 psi that car should be making 700 hp mine made 659 on 11psi
Old 05-12-2018, 08:41 AM
FormerVendor

Default Detonation Evidence = Piston Pictures

Hi ChevAU, many here can report after a tear down when pictures are posted of the broken rod/piston tops/ring lands.

I too agree with the low power report.

Lance
Old 05-12-2018, 03:57 PM

Thanks. Will get it tore down and post some pictures. And look into the low power. Should it be closer to 700rwhp
Old 05-12-2018, 04:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry to hear man. A little od to me is that it let go at 3k rpm?
Old 05-13-2018, 11:50 AM
FormerVendor

Default Carrillo Rod Failue at Idle

Hi S.FL, My report of a Carrillo Rod failure at Idle, the first design, a nut/bolt "H" Beam rod with great time.

The Palm Springs GP found me on the Pole, the fastest car on track, driving my Lola333 F-5000, SBC powered.
The first session was great, the second session, 2nd chance to qualify (better) was about to start with my SBC engine now being brought up to temp.
My engine started, idled, then a clunk stalling the engine.
Upon inspection, pan dropped/head off in fifteen minutes, found a "two piece" Carrillo Rod and two bent valves in that cylinder.
Many helped me find a local Palm Springs speed shop with the required gaskets, rod, valves.
The rod bearing was as new with the only piston damage (minor if any) from the two witness marks created by valve contact.
The engine was reassembled, ran that evening, ready for tomorrows race with my Pole time standing.

Thus I started first winning Sunday's Palm Spring GP.

I also ask the OP to post a "windowed" crankcase picture as there could be a chance of repair ?

Lance