General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Need some direction

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 09:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some direction

Hello all, I used to follow LS1tech years ago. Have owned 2 fourth gens and now a C6. I’m looking to sell my C6 and build a 4th Camaro or TA.

I have never been too in tune with the basics of building a car or the general understanding/workings of vehicles. I want to learn. It’s at the back of my mind almost every day. From properly doing oil changes to the more advanced mechanics of vehicle modification and maintenance. The goal is to learn all that there is within working on cars and to build a sub 10 second 4th gen.

Where do I start?
where do I go to learn about EVERYTHING?

This is is a passion that I’ve put off for too long and now it’s time to get dirty and learn. Please, any advice or guidance is GREATLY appreciated.

Cheers,
Jeff
Old 07-19-2018, 04:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

This forum is a good place to start. Start searching and reading the stickies and whatnot
Old 07-19-2018, 05:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Here's the "Single Digit Club" on ls1tech. No better place to start and see what it takes these cars to go that fast.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/single-digit-club-89/
Old 07-19-2018, 02:44 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by JProofz
I have never been too in tune with the basics of building a car or the general understanding/workings of vehicles. I want to learn. It’s at the back of my mind almost every day. From properly doing oil changes to the more advanced mechanics of vehicle modification and maintenance. The goal is to learn all that there is within working on cars and to build a sub 10 second 4th gen.
The internet is a great learning resource as long as you're careful to weed out any bad information (usually by looking for multiple sources in agreement, and/or identifying folks who clearly know what they are doing and then following their projects). But if you're starting from the very beginning (e.g. "properly doing oil changes"), there will be things you'll encounter on your way to a sub-10 second build that will require some significant hands-on experience to do correctly. You won't learn the complex mechanical skills necessary to build a car like that in a short period of time just doing oil changes and reading on the internet; having someone knowledgeable help you is going to be the quickest way to learn. If this is not an option, then all you can do is start small and learn by doing, researching along the way and getting more comfortable with each project. Some skills just can't be learned by reading, so trial and error is the only option if you don't have someone to teach you hands-on.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 992 Posts

All of what the above have said.

Plus,

Gear head friends can be an excellent source of getting hands on experience. Joining a local hotrod / Car Club can also help with making more gear head friends.

Be honest about skill level and desire to learn. If someone helps you with something show appreciation with pizza, burgers or beer etc. Definitely start with easier tasks like oil change etc.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:59 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the replies, digging into the stickies already. I actually live close to Route 66 raceway so trying to connect with some friends who are big gear heads and such. I realize this may be a 5 year project, and that's fine with me. Planning to find a 4th gen f body soon and start from there.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

I recommend some of the LS and FBody how-to books. They are typically more straight-forward and accurate than the forums.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 98ws6blk
I recommend some of the LS and FBody how-to books. They are typically more straight-forward and accurate than the forums.
links to said books? Highly interested. Already looking at a 00’ Z28 roller haha!
Old 07-25-2018, 10:16 PM
Teching In

Also I realize the generalization of this but can anyone throw out a range of numbers (price wise) to get into these categories:

10 second car?
9?
8?
7?
Old 07-26-2018, 08:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

I probably shouldn't link since it may not be a sponsor but here's a few good ones you can google:

93-08 Camaro and Firebird Performance Handbook
How to Build and Modify GM LS-Series Engines
Building the Chevy LS Engine
How to Rebuild GM LS-Series Engines
How to Build High Performance Chevy LS1/LS6 V8's

Quick Reply: Need some direction