General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Locked keys in car

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 05:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by fst100
that's what I thought too lol...
Cadillac and some other models had it. Just guessing some High end F bodies might also. Gm started messing around with it about 1996...
Old 07-26-2018, 06:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I still think if you know of other local f body owners see if their door key would work.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:49 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by cookseyb
Cadillac and some other models had it. Just guessing some High end F bodies might also. Gm started messing around with it about 1996...
Nope... no 4th generation f-body was ever available with OnStar. Besides, all OnStar services for vehicles older than the 2003 model year were discontinued at the end of 2007 because analog cell service was no longer supported - they switched everything to CDMA digital service.

Old 02-19-2020, 08:40 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by HenryColeman
Is it necessary to hire an auto locksmith near in such situations or there is any way through which doors can be unlocked without the help of a key.
That depends on the neighborhood it's parked in... leave it long enough in some areas and some "helpful citizen" is liable to take care of it for you. Or there's always the "break the glass" option.

Seriously, anyone who has a slim jim and knows how to use it will be able to open the door. I've even heard of owners who were able to pull back the corner of the window (that part is easy enough) and use a straightened coat hanger with guidance from a friend looking in from the other side to move the lock slide switch (the power lock switch won't work after the BCM has gone to sleep). That would take a lot of patience but it can be done.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 799 Likes on 609 Posts

Funny story about the number of keys for a particular car. I owned a 94 Mustang and took it to the dealer. While mine was in for service another customer came in with his daughter's car. He explained to the service manager the issue. They went to take the car for a ride. The dad gave him the keys and they walked out to the parking lot and opened the door and started the car. The dad looks at the service manager and tells him, this isn't my daughters car. My car and hers were the same color and had the same keys.
Old 05-12-2020, 04:29 AM
Teching In

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I know it’s an old thread but I’ve used coat hangers before when I’ve locked my keys in a car lol
Old 10-21-2022, 10:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your car dealer probably provided you a set of car keys when you bought a new automobile from them. If you're at home and this sounds similar, you might want to look for that spare first. Additionally, contacting a locksmith may be pricey for some and put your security at danger.
Old 10-26-2022, 07:17 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by johnpeters
Your car dealer probably provided you a set of car keys when you bought a new automobile from them. If you're at home and this sounds similar, you might want to look for that spare first. Additionally, contacting a locksmith may be pricey for some and put your security at danger.
I would guess that the original poster got into his locked car somehow in the four years since he started this thread. But I'm curious how asking a locksmith to pop your door open would put your security at risk. They do it all the time... frequently under contract with AAA. They have the tools and knowledge of how to open car doors without breaking the windows so where is the danger?
The following users liked this post:
99 Black Bird T/A (10-26-2022)
Old 10-26-2022, 08:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
Yea. That's what they keep on top of the desk, which makes keys quickly. They use this most of the time because they make better money with it. (faster process) Buried in the desk, should be one of these:

^ The punch will make a much more accurate key, also. Sometimes, I need to go to the dealer and ask them to specifically hunt for this so I can get an original key made instead of them using their grinder (top of desk), which can fall out of adjustment.
Since thread is active again four years later...

Thanks! I didn't know about the manual key punch and will keep that in mind next time they try the run around about the key grinder. I'm sure they'll claim next not to have the key blanks...then I'll asked for the manager

BTW - hope the OP got the car unlocked
Old 10-26-2022, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

One of the nice things about the 1997 Firebird that I had was it came with a little plastic door key in a little credit card type holder that you just kept in you wallet. I never had tu use it but it was there.
Old 10-28-2022, 08:53 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
I'm sure they'll claim next not to have the key blanks.
They do, indeed! I always buy the correct blank on eBay and take it in for them to punch!

Quick Reply: Locked keys in car