General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Locked keys in car

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locked keys in car

How do I break into my own 2002 Pontiac Firebird with the keys locked inside?
Old 07-20-2018, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

Besides from breaking a window, you might want to call a cop and have them break in for you.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:56 PM
Teching In

Before resorting to breaking windows, you can always call CAA or a tow truck. They use a special tool to open the door. At least get a quote, as it shouldn't be that expensive .
Old 07-20-2018, 10:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Slide one of those skinny pad balloon things in between the window & seal, blow it up for clearance for a long handled rod to reach from the passenger window to the ignition switch, & hope that you can pull them out & thru the window.

The power unlock button on the door will not work with the keys in the ignition.

Been there, Done that, ...
Old 07-20-2018, 11:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

A blood pressure cuff will spread the window frame and body enough to get in to many cars.. (Good WIl/Thrift shops )
Old 07-21-2018, 07:42 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The elegant way to do this is to take your vehicle registration and an ID to a dealer and have them cut you a new door key. (They can look it up by the VIN.)

They will probably charge you $100-ish to look up the key codes and cut the key, but it's pretty easy and guaranteed not to do any damage. Plus... if you don't have a spare set of keys - you really should have the dealer cut you a virgin set that you can copy off of. (Copying from the keys you have, which are worn, may cause you problems down the road.)
The following users liked this post:
wannafbody (02-26-2020)
Old 07-21-2018, 08:22 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Any mobile locksmith will be able to open the door. Then you should get a spare key and program your keyless entry with the lockout prevention enabled.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Any mobile locksmith will be able to open the door. Then you should get a spare key and program your keyless entry with the lockout prevention enabled.
^^^^^^can you explain more?
Old 07-21-2018, 12:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wssix99
The elegant way to do this is to take your vehicle registration and an ID to a dealer and have them cut you a new door key. (They can look it up by the VIN.)

They will probably charge you $100-ish to look up the key codes and cut the key, but it's pretty easy and guaranteed not to do any damage. Plus... if you don't have a spare set of keys - you really should have the dealer cut you a virgin set that you can copy off of. (Copying from the keys you have, which are worn, may cause you problems down the road.)
Oh really, GM dealerships can still do this for Pontiac keys? That's actually a very good idea.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2ToeRacing
^^^^^^can you explain more?
+1 .Curious how you do that.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

One of the times that AAA coverage or similar Is great to have. They can send a Locksmith to open door. Usually with the balloon in window technique. Cost is covered by AAA but Locksmith may hint around for more cash.

Expert Locksmiths will simply pick the key lock. I've seen one do it in less than five seconds. Sometimes takes a little longer to pick.

Worse case call a Locksmith. Ask the price. Typically $50 in where I'm from but it can vary. Late night or holidays expect to pay more.

Having keycode stored in phone can also help with getting a door key cut a a GM dealer.

Note many GM dealers DO NOT have the equipment to cut the old style keys on site these days.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:04 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Here is the information on programming from your owner's manual. Use the LAST DOOR LOCKING & LOCKOUT PREVENTION section to enable lockout prevention which won't allow the driver's door to lock if the key is in the ignition (even when the ignition is off). It won't do any good if you threw your keys in the cup holder so it pays to get in the habit of having the keys either in the ignition or in your hand.

PROGRAMMING THE FACTORY ALARM

ENTERING PROGRAMMING MODE

To program features, the car must be in programming mode.

1) Turn key to RUN position.
2) Turn key to OFF position.
3) Remove the RADIO fuse in the main fuse panel.
4) Turn the key to ACC

You should hear a chime to verify that the system is in the programming mode.
1 chime means you can program Exit Lighting, Delayed Illumination, Last Door Closed Locking and Lock Out.
2 chimes means your car is equipped with Content Theft-Deterrent System so you can also program Remote Keyless Entry Verification, Arming Method, Arming Verification, Driver's Door Delay and Shock Sensor Enable.

EXIT LIGHTING & ILLUMINATION

With exit lighting, your interior lamps will come on for up to 25 sec. when the key is removed.
With Delay Illumination, your interior lamps will come on and stay on for up to 25 sec. when entering the car and up to 5 sec. when leaving the car.
To change the factory setting...
1) Turn the courtesy lamps on by turning the instrument panel brightness control **** all the way up.
2) Count the number of chimes you hear. The number of chimes tells you which mode you are in.
3) Turn the courtesy lamp switch off.
4) Turn the switch on and off until you hear the number of chimes that correspond to the mode you want to be in.

MODE 1 Both Off.
MODE 2 Delayed Illumination Only.
MODE 3 Exit Lighting Only.
MODE 4 Both On.

LAST DOOR LOCKING & LOCKOUT PREVENTION

To change the setting...
1) Press the LOCK switch on the door.
2) Count the number of chimes you hear. The number of chimes tells you which mode you are in.
3) Press the LOCK switch on the door until you hear the number of chimes for the mode you want to be in.

MODE 1 Both Off (Door will lock and unlock when you press the door lock switch)
MODE 2 Lockout Prevention Only (If you leave your keys in the ignition and leave thru the driver's door, you won't be able to lock the doors with the power door lock switch.)
MODE 3 Last Door Closed Only. (If the power door lock switch is used to lock the car while any door is open, you will hear 3 chimes. The doors will not lock until all the doors are closed.)
MODE 4 Both On. (This combines Mode 2 and 3.)

REMOTE KEYLESS ENTRY VERIFICATION

To change this setting...
1) Press the UNLOCK button on the remote transmitter.
2) Count the number of chimes you hear. This tells you which mode you're in.
3) Press the UNLOCK button on the remote until you hear the number of chimes that correspond to the mode you want.

MODE 1 All Off. (The head lights will not flash and the horn will not sound)
MODE 2 Horn and Lamps/Lamps (Your horn will sound and your parking lights will flash when you press the LOCK button on the transmitter. Only the parking lamps will flash when you press UNLOCK)
MODE 3 Horn and Lamps (Your horn will sound and the parking lamps will flash every time you press LOCK or UNLOCK)
MODE 4 Lamps (The parking lamps will flash when you press LOCK or UNLOCK)
MODE 5 Lamps/Horn and Lamps (Lamps will flash on the first press on LOCK, your lamps will flash and the horn will sound on the second press on LOCK and the lamps will flash any time you press UNLOCK)

THEFT-DETERRENT VERIFICATION

1) Press the LOCK button on the remote.
2) Count the number of chimes you hear.
3) Press the LOCK button on the remote until you hear the number of chimes you want.

MODE 1 All Off (No horn chirp or lamp flash)
MODE 2 Horn and Lamps (Your lamps will flash and the horn will chirp twice)
MODE 3 Horn and Lamps/Lamps (If you use the remote to arm the system, your lamps will flash and the horn will chirp twice to verify the system is armed. If it only chirps once, the hatch is open or unlatched. If you use either the power door lock switch or passive arming, only the lamps will flash for verification)

THEFT DETERRENT ARMING METHOD

1) Press the UNLOCK switch on the door.
2) Count the number of chimes
3) Press the UNLOCK switch on the door until you are in the mode you want.

MODE 1 Alarm System Off (System will not arm)
MODE 2 Remote Keyless Entry Transmitter Lock (When you lock the doors using the remote, the system will arm itself)
MODE 3 Remote Keyless Entry Transmitter/Power Door Lock Switch (If you use the remote or the power door lock switch to lock the doors, the system will arm)
MODE 4 Passive Arming and Remote Keyless Entry Transmitter/Power Door Lock Switch Arming (The system will arm itself after all doors are closed plus arming per MODE 3)

DRIVER'S DOOR ALARM DELAY AND SHOCK SENSOR ENABLE

1) Turn the parking lamps on and off
2) Count the chimes
3) Turn the parking lamps on and off until you hear the number of chimes you wany

MODE 1 Zero Delay and Sensor Disabled (The alarm will sound immediately if the driver's door is opened with your key and the shock sensor will be disabled)
MODE 2 8 Second Delay and Shock Sensor Disabled (The alarm will sound 8 seconds after the driver's door is opened with your key and the shock sensor will be disabled)
MODE 3 Zero Delay and Shock Sensor Enabled (The alarm will sound immediately after the driver's door is opened with your key and the shock sensor will be active)
MODE 4 8 Second Delay and Shock Sensor Enabled (The alarm will sound 8 seconds after the driver's door is opened with your key and the shock sensor will be active)

LEAVING PROGRAM MODE

When programming is done, turn the ignition to OFF and replace the RADIO fuse.
Tone-NY (11-11-2019)
Old 07-23-2018, 07:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

Back in the 90's, my cousin use to find Dorman 75490's stuck in his window molding every time someone tried to unsuccessfully steal his stereo. It was just something about the sound of that shotgun that had them running during mid break in attempt.
99 Black Bird T/A (10-26-2022)
Old 07-23-2018, 07:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

if you know someone who has a late 90s or early 2000 Saturn vehicle like the s-series, see if you can use their door key to open it. I was able to do the opposite where a friend locked their keys in their mid-late 90s s-series Saturn and I used my Camaro door key and it opened right up! the GM door keys are shockingly enough, reused and commonly slotted among the late and early 2000 cars that used the 2 key system (one for the door and other for ignition).
Old 07-23-2018, 08:32 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
Note many GM dealers DO NOT have the equipment to cut the old style keys on site these days.
This is not true. If they say this, they are just being lazy. They should all still have their old key punch in a desk somewhere. All they need to do is dig it out and punch out a key. I've had them tell me they "can't cut" a key when they really just didn't want to move their butt off the stool to look for it. (Asking to talk to the manager seemed to be very motivating when I needed them to do this...)

Old 07-24-2018, 08:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
This is not true. If they say this, they are just being lazy. They should all still have their old key punch in a desk somewhere. All they need to do is dig it out and punch out a key. I've had them tell me they "can't cut" a key when they really just didn't want to move their butt off the stool to look for it. (Asking to talk to the manager seemed to be very motivating when I needed them to do this...)
Yes some dealers can be very misleading but I don't think that happened.

Had the discussion at two different dealerships. Both said the key cutting equipment was leased, not purchased for their respective dealerships. The dealership management said use didn't cover the cost anymore to keep the equipment on site so the lease was not renewed and cutters returned. Both were small family owned dealerships that have good customer service and made the extra effort to look up and order parts for me in the past. One of the dealerships even looked up the ignition key code and ordered a new ignition key for me and called when it arrived two days later. Based on the actions and customer service I had no reason to doubt what either dealership told me in this specific case.
Old 07-25-2018, 03:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

If you have OnStar there is a number to call on the back window, they can open it remotely
Old 07-25-2018, 06:40 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

OnStar on a 2002 Firebird?
Old 07-25-2018, 06:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
OnStar on a 2002 Firebird?
that's what I thought too lol...
Old 07-25-2018, 08:08 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
The dealership management said use didn't cover the cost anymore to keep the equipment on site so the lease was not renewed and cutters returned.
Yea. That's what they keep on top of the desk, which makes keys quickly. They use this most of the time because they make better money with it. (faster process) Buried in the desk, should be one of these:

^ The punch will make a much more accurate key, also. Sometimes, I need to go to the dealer and ask them to specifically hunt for this so I can get an original key made instead of them using their grinder (top of desk), which can fall out of adjustment.

Quick Reply: Locked keys in car