General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

New build disaster. Need help please

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 09:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New build disaster. Need help please

I hope this is right section to post. I'll keep it short but give important details. My 02 Silverado motor was checking out, so i built a new one. Got from junk yard , took to machine shop for cam bearings, bore .020 over, heads leveled and valve job, polished crank. I bought a book on assembly and put it together as instructed, plastigage everything, tried to do it right. Put in a btr truck cam, long tube headers and cold air intake. Swapped into my truck, and now I have a problem . The truck won't idle, stalls out and runs real choppy. Now once your going down the road it runs awesome, but as you slow down it dies and will barely idle at stop light. Oil pressure goes way down at idle and motor just quits. I pulled oil pan back off and put another be o ring on pick up tube just to make sure. Any ideas? Once again, won't idle, oil pressure drops and it idles real choppy and quits. Showing no codes . Please help
Old 01-01-2019, 09:11 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,565 Likes on 2,191 Posts

Have you had the truck tuned for the new engine?
Old 01-01-2019, 09:12 PM
Teching In

I am at s loss , was thinking about going back to factory air box to see if that helps, then back to factory cam if needed. I think it's probably something minor because it runs great under acceleration. Could torque on rockers be off
Old 01-01-2019, 09:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Che70velle
Have you had the truck tuned for the new engine?
no I have not, just fired it up this afternoon
Old 01-01-2019, 09:20 PM
ModSquad

Originally Posted by Brokenls
no I have not, just fired it up this afternoon
Find a good tuner. Don’t skimp. The low oil pressure your seeing is hopefully happening when the engine is trying to die. Very low rpm equals low oil pressure.
‘Tuner will fix you up.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Che70velle

Find a good tuner. Don’t skimp. The low oil pressure your seeing is hopefully happening when the engine is trying to die. Very low rpm equals low oil pressure.
‘Tuner will fix you up.
ok I will try to find one, option are very limited near me
Old 01-01-2019, 09:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,447 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Hopefully, a moderator will see this and move the thread. It will probably get more replies from experienced engine builder's in the Gen 3 Internal Engine section.

Edit Chevelle responded, he's one of the experts

What's the oil on the dips tick look like?

Might be wise to change oil and filter. It's really best to do that almost immediately after the first heat cycle on the engine. Filters can quickly clog after a rebuild with all the assembly lube etc. That could effect oil pressure.

Pull the oil filter and cut it open and check the filter element and see whats in it. Take pictures to post so the experts can help if you find anything in the filter element.

Post pictures of the oil and filter element.

Probably help to post the cam specs and any other modification details. Was the truck tuned along with the cam?

Regarding low oil pressure, might try attaching a mechanical gauge to see what the actual oil pressure measures. I've had random drops and spikes on the dash oil pressure gauge when an alternator was failing. Headlights would pulse etc car had a shimy/surge. I doubt an alternator is the issue but sometimes oil pressure sensors go bad or get damaged during R&R etc.

Old 01-01-2019, 10:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 206 Likes on 125 Posts

As mentioned above find a tuner and get that sucker tuned. Did you expect it to run like stock with a cam and no tune ?
Old 01-01-2019, 10:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,898 Likes on 1,373 Posts

I hope this is right section to post. I'll keep it short but give important details. My 02 Silverado motor was checking out, so i built a new one. Got from junk yard , took to machine shop for cam bearings, bore .020 over, heads leveled and valve job, polished crank. I bought a book on assembly and put it together as instructed, plastigage everything, tried to do it right. Put in a btr truck cam, long tube headers and cold air intake. Swapped into my truck, and now I have a problem . The truck won't idle, stalls out and runs real choppy. Now once your going down the road it runs awesome, but as you slow down it dies and will barely idle at stop light. Oil pressure goes way down at idle and motor just quits. I pulled oil pan back off and put another be o ring on pick up tube just to make sure. Any ideas? Once again, won't idle, oil pressure drops and it idles real choppy and quits. Showing no codes . Please help
If your oil pressure is good when you get the rpm's up then it's most likely what Che70velle has stated. The reason you may be seeing low oil pressure could be due to the fact that it will not idle. Low rpms and no ability to hold idle will produce low oil pressure so hopefully once you get a good tune you'll be good.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:43 AM
Teching In

Can a dealership tune it if I can't find any local shops? I live in a small town
Old 01-02-2019, 08:11 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,746 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Can a dealership tune it if I can't find any local shops? I live in a small town
No. You may need to mail out your computer to one of several companies on this site who do mail order tuning and they will at least get you in the ballpark.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:28 PM
ModSquad

Where are you?
Old 01-08-2019, 05:01 PM
Teching In

I am in greeneville tn. I ended up putting a factory cam in and it runs great. Once I get new tires on my other truck, I am going to get it tuned and put cam back in
Old 02-06-2024, 06:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Take it from me, you will need a tune, I did the truck norris cam from BTR, and IT WILL NEED to be tuned.

Wow, this just came up again, didnt even realize I replied to a 5 year old thread.

OOOOPPPPSSSS

Last edited by Crasteal; 02-15-2024 at 11:01 AM.

Quick Reply: New build disaster. Need help please