General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

LS Block can this be fixed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2019, 06:21 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS Block can this be fixed?

First time post to here so apologize for not putting a greetings post first. Current issue here with a friend of mine‘s motor he had an issue with the transport company who ended up breaking this piece off this LS block looking to see if it can be repaired? Biggest concern I have as you can see in one of the pictures the passenger side rear head bolt is showing where the part broke off.

Can this be fixed? It’s where the starter mounts and also where the dowel alignment pin is for the transmission my concern is the integrity of the head bolt shown in the picture will this be affected can it be rectified or is this block completely junk it is a supercharged application LS6 motor.

If it can be fixed what impact will that have on the strength of the motor not too concerned about the cosmetics obviously more concerned about the strength and performance and effect this will have on the head bolt and rest of the motor also does anyone have an idea what a repair like this would cost to have it done right? Is it something that can be done on the motor what does the motor need to be disassembled?

Appreciate any helpful comments that can be given thank you in advance!!

Old 07-28-2019, 11:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 442 Likes on 312 Posts

It can be fixed by a competent welder. But the engine will need to come out of the vehicle to weld both sides.
Old 07-28-2019, 01:13 PM
Teching In

Motor is out of the car so not a problem. Do you think I need to worry about the exposed threads and will this compromise the motor in any way? This piece is where the starter bolts to as well as holds one of the transmission alignment dowels and one bolt hole.
Old 07-28-2019, 09:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 442 Likes on 312 Posts

I'm just 1 man.
But IMO, I would weld it in place with the head bolt in first. Yes it will compromise the bolt, How ever you can get 1 new bolt at the stealership and install it after chasing the thread.

I would use a bare bell housing or something similar to locate the piece that needs to be welded on. With it bolted in place you should be able to reach both sides for most of the crack. That Crank sensor will need to come out and the area on both pieces will need to be properly cleaned and prepped for welding.

If thats too much or your not confident in it, Source another block.
Old 07-29-2019, 02:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 198 Posts

fix it....then one word..........truck starter
Old 07-29-2019, 06:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Extensive cleaning will be necessary for a proper weld. Cast aluminum soaks up oil and the block will need to be baked and acetone washed.. you could pull the head bolt, weld the hole shut and re drill and tap it for a good fix for that. Lotsa dollars and a good shop will have to be found..Might be cheaper to souce a good bare block and re use your internals. I would see how much insurance the carrier carrys and go from there...
The following users liked this post:
B52bombardier1 (07-29-2019)
Old 07-30-2019, 01:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

slap one of them good ol 5.3 from the junkyard and call it a day...thats my solution.

i had one of these crack like that and never did i look back at aluminum blocks.
Old 08-10-2019, 10:28 AM
Teching In

Default What would it cost

So I guess it’s gonna come down to how much it will cost to fix. Anyone care to guess? Can it be done without ripping everything apart complete engine it if the car? What would the cost be 300? 500? 1000? More? Silly question but I have seen people rave about JB weld for broken off pieces of aluminum.
Old 08-11-2019, 01:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Seriously JB Weld? Have the shipping company replace the block. Bottom line. Replace the block. No way I would spend money on, or use that block. Your going to spend a lot of time and money and still end up getting a different block anyway.
The following users liked this post:
cookseyb (08-11-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 09:18 AM
TECH Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

There is a guy that makes something for these blocks cracking like that where the starter mounts. It's called starter bridge. It's expensive though but it's a quick fix and you don't have to worry about welding anything.

Quick Reply: LS Block can this be fixed?