General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Gen4 T/A or Gen5 SS

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2020, 12:11 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Gen4 T/A or Gen5 SS

I've been on this site ever since I bought a 5.0 in high school. Then moved into a 98 Z28 A4. I've had 2 more 5.0s since but didn't keep them long. Always wanted to get back into an LS car and I've always loved T/As. Would want one with a M6. But the prices for a clean one are similar to a Gen5 SS M6. Always loved those cars as well. My question to you is, which one would you get for a weekend car? I plan on doing a cam and bolt ons to whichever. I know the 5th gen is heavier but the 4th gen interiors are not great. Spent 5 years in my 4th gen camaro and always hated the seats, window motors, etc. Give me your opinion, and have a great weekend.
Old 04-18-2020, 02:58 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,725 Likes on 1,237 Posts

I actually love the 4th gen interior; the material/build quality of these components isn't the same as a much newer car, but the layout of controls and seating position is decisively superior IMO. I know some folks see a huge difference between the Trans Am seats and the Camaro seats, but I've owned both (my TA had the adjustable lumbar seats) and honestly I don't feel any significant difference in comfort - both fit me like a glove.

For a weekend toy, I can't see anything about a 5th gen that would make it a better choice for me. So I would always pick the 4th gen as long as it was an example that met my standards and preferences. But this is purely subjective - when it comes to a toy there is NO one-size-fits-all answer, it's going to be a matter of personal taste combined with goals and budget.

As a previous owner you obviously have experience with how a 4th gen feels, but have you driven a 5th gen yet? If not, that should probably be your first step before focusing the search on one model or another. If you've already had adequate experience with both and you're still on the fence, then maybe the best bet is to continue looking/shopping for both and go with whichever one you can find first that meets all of your qualifications for a given example (meaning options, condition, price - all of it). Don't "settle" for anything if there's more than one model that could make you happy. If you can't decide which one you like better, then you can at least find happiness in knowing that the one you bought is everything that you wanted in such an example (i.e. less chance of regret or "what ifs").
Old 04-18-2020, 05:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,746 Likes on 1,304 Posts

4th gen all day over a 5th gen unless the 5th gen is a ZL1.
Old 04-18-2020, 06:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

I have the same feelings as RPM WS6 about the interior so it concerns me that you used the word 'hate' in your experiences. I could buy any newer model Camaro that I want but here I am on my 24th year of 4th generation F-body ownership (bought a 1996 Formula before my '01 T/A). Only you can decide if the interior will work for you but I sure would vote for 4th gen all day long, especially since you see fewer on the road each and every year. That's a plus to me to have something a bit different. Good luck with your choice.
Old 04-18-2020, 11:39 PM
Launching!

I've only driven an A6 5th gen SS and that was years ago. I do need to drive an M6 before I make my decision. And honestly it's been a while since I even drove a 4th gen. I'd obviously like a clean one so the interior wouldn't be a deal breaker if it was in good shape. Can always swap the seats out for something more comfortable. I agree that there are tons of 5th gens rolling around, many of them V6 models with huge wheels or distasteful paint jobs that almost ruin it for the rest of them. 4th gen LS1s are getting more rare, especially the M6 T/A that I desire. I'm looking at both daily, and hopefully soon I will take a test drive, so when the time comes I'll make a decision and post some pics for y'all. Thanks for the input.
Old 04-21-2020, 08:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,447 Likes on 1,005 Posts

5th Gen Z28's are cool too otherwise Gen 4 T/A
Old 04-21-2020, 11:57 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 209 Likes on 176 Posts

A good friend of mine ordered a new 5th gen before they first came out. When it arrived at the dealership, we went to check it out. We both sat in it, got a feel for the seating position and the controls, looked around, and decided it was a no-go. We didn't even bother to start or drive it.

The biggest issue was that you couldn't see out of the damn thing. He declined the purchase and we both got into our 4th gens (T/A and Formula) and drove away, convinced that our cars were the better part of the bargain.

That being said, the 5th gen is based on the Zeta chassis, same as the G8. That means it's going to ride a whole lot nicer than the 4th gen, but with the downside of a whole lot of rubber bushings that will degrade and need to be replaced. The 4th gen suspension is much more crude, and for that reason rides a lot rougher, but for that same reason is much simpler to maintain and modify.

So with all that in mind, it's just a matter of what you prefer, and what you're willing to get into the game for ...
Old 04-22-2020, 10:52 PM
Launching!

Good points. I'm really leaning 4th gen after looking thru some classifieds. my ex had a 5th gen SS auto and it was a fun car but definitely hard to see out of and felt much heavier than my 98 Z.
Old 04-23-2020, 08:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by NastyNate65
Good points. I'm really leaning 4th gen after looking thru some classifieds. my ex had a 5th gen SS auto and it was a fun car but definitely hard to see out of and felt much heavier than my 98 Z.
I test drove a new Camaro at the Greenville SC Auto Show about 4 or 5 years ago and my main complaint was what you just said, that it felt heavy. I liked the car but was not willing to give up my 4th gen for one. Maybe they feel lighter now with the newer models. If Chevy stops making them I may have to try driving one again to see if I want to get the last model year before they are gone forever.
Old 04-23-2020, 06:59 PM
Pontiacerator

Originally Posted by NC01TA
I test drove a new Camaro at the Greenville SC Auto Show about 4 or 5 years ago and my main complaint was what you just said, that it felt heavy. I liked the car but was not willing to give up my 4th gen for one. Maybe they feel lighter now with the newer models. If Chevy stops making them I may have to try driving one again to see if I want to get the last model year before they are gone forever.
I always think that for another 100 lbs or so on top of the 5th gen, you could have a G8 with a roomy interior, great visibility, a good size trunk, and a similar powertrain. That is, unless you need a manual and then it's $$$ to go up to the GXP.

The 6th gens appear to suffer from the same visibility and cramped interior problems as the 5th, but they are 300 lbs lighter and should be much more nimble.
The following users liked this post:
NC01TA (04-24-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 10:47 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just made the same choice. I went with my 99 TA M6. I wanted the TA look and ttops more than the newer camaro (2018 2ss m6) look and feel. Plus i could pay cash for it and not have a payment for a car i didn't love!
The following users liked this post:
NDFORSPD (04-28-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 08:30 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99PewterTAM6
I just made the same choice. I went with my 99 TA M6. I wanted the TA look and ttops more than the newer camaro (2018 2ss m6) look and feel. Plus i could pay cash for it and not have a payment for a car i didn't love!
I absolutely love having the T Tops on those perfect weather days. But honestly price is about the same for the TAs and 5th gens Im looking at. I am leaning heavily towards a TA now and getting very excited. Whenever I get one Ill throw some pics up for y'all.
Old 05-04-2020, 09:17 AM
TECH Regular

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

I test drove the 5th gen cars after having owned several third gens and a fourth gen. After test driving the 5th gen I liked it so much I bought a Mustang.
Old 05-04-2020, 02:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I own a 01 WS6 and have rode in my buddies newer v6 camaro. I personally didn't like it at all. I felt like i was riding in a tank and couldnt see out of it. The overall interior didn't appeal to me. Plus the weight of these vs 4th gens... I personally think trans ams are much more aggressive in styling which is the reason I own. But like others have said, a lot of these things are subjective. Good luck with whatever you decided to go with!
Old 05-04-2020, 11:22 PM
Pontiacerator

Originally Posted by NastyNate65
I absolutely love having the T Tops on those perfect weather days. But honestly price is about the same for the TAs and 5th gens Im looking at. I am leaning heavily towards a TA now and getting very excited. Whenever I get one Ill throw some pics up for y'all.
Agree - T-tops are a huge selling point for these cars for me - especially in the Spring and Fall, of course. I saw a guy sitting all cooped up in his 5th gen at a stoplight while I whizzed by with my tops off enjoying the sunshine and fresh air. I didn't want to be that guy.

Quick Reply: Gen4 T/A or Gen5 SS