General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Weird but functional cell phone mount info needed please.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2020, 10:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Weird but functional cell phone mount info needed please.....

Can everyone show us how you have mounted your phone in your cars?
i have purchased 3 phone mounts thus far and all 3 have been pure garbage
one snapped the blade out of place in the AC vent
2nd one stuck in power port by E-Brake handle and was too big so E-Brake handle would not go to its disengaged position fully down.....
3rd one just would not hold the phone and kept falling down and all that nonsense

so i am looking for a permanent GOOD solution to mount my phone and prefer not to drill holes and install all sorts of permanent brackets in or on the dash...and totally not take up my 1 cup holder and prefer to not take my 2nd swing out cup holder either if possible......and not interfere with my 6 speed shifter or E-Brake handle.....and not suction cup to the windshield because its too far to reach it from drivers seat seatbelted in and cant move or reach that far forward and my new Kenwood stereo head unit thingy requires the phone to be plugged into the head unit cable not Bluetooth wireless. (This Kenwood model has bluetooth but for apple car play and android auto to work it requires the usb cable to be plugged into the phone at all times to work)

so i wanted to see what others have done and how you have modified your cars to get your phones integrated without destroying the dash and interior.....
if i had to i would drill holes like in the mounting face trim plate of the stereo or a replaceable trim piece etc. But not the dash itself or so on.

anyone able to show a really good solution to this issue?

thank you all....greatly appreciate anyassistance that i can get because as we all know these phones are at that point where you cant leave home without it cant survive without the conveniences they provide and with them able to i twgrate to the newer stereos and turn your car into a mobile communications center.....keep you safe...save your butt if any problems arise on the road or in the garage from looking up how to fix it threads and videos to tracking down your spouses ..ordering parts or looking up reviews on parts and companies and tracking down your kids phones when they get lost or to working your job while driving and millions of apps to make life easier in many ways but if the phone breaks parts of your cars interior or ends up in the passenger floor well far out of reach or other issues then it sort of defeats the purpose of having the phone with you agreed?

so lets see how creative some of you have gotten from home made mounts to customizing a store bought mount to anything else.

thanks all

Jenni
Old 07-14-2020, 10:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I have this setup in my Jeep Grand Cherokee: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309...-nice-1404180/

Looking to do the same in my WS6, just need to find the right bracketry. Normally, they either use existing screws to a panel/radio or trim piece, or you have to use self-tapping screws to get into the plastic panel.
Old 07-14-2020, 03:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ARSENAL670
I have this setup in my Jeep Grand Cherokee: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309...-nice-1404180/

Looking to do the same in my WS6, just need to find the right bracketry. Normally, they either use existing screws to a panel/radio or trim piece, or you have to use self-tapping screws to get into the plastic panel.

Not bad, Not bad at all, But you gave me a great idea by the photos in that Jeep forum, I can custom bend on a brake or bench vice, some custom brackets and tap them if needed, and slip them in-between trim panels or even bolt it to the floor and have the bracket slip out between the carpet and the center console or something and bolt the phone cradle to it and pull off and sand smooth the little grip clips for the A/C vents that end up tearing those directional fins off of the slide thing that directs the air to wherever you want it. I cant believe I was dumb enough to think that those little fins would hold my cell phone, its way too heavy plus the added weight of the cradle itself i just got lucky that it did not snap the plastic tabs off and it just popped it out of place. So I was able to pull it back into place and no damage occurred. Never do that again.
But I think I am going to have to fabricate something custom unless someone posts up something that really works well and is a nice fit and finish and functional placing the phone in the perfect position VS just flopping around in an A/C vent or on some flexible tubular arm and again the phone weight just flops it all around and does not keep the phone still or is in the way of any passenger legs or the flip out cup holder on the passenger side of the forward center console under the radio next to the A/C & Heater controls and fan switches and *****.
If I come up with something I will post it up but ill keep waiting for others to chime in and see what other answers I get.
Thank you Arsenal for replying. Appreciate the help

Jennifur
The following users liked this post:
ARSENAL670 (07-16-2020)
Old 07-15-2020, 11:07 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

Maybe the WeatherTech CupFone in the fold-out cup holder?
Old 07-15-2020, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Maybe the WeatherTech CupFone in the fold-out cup holder?

I guess you skipped part of my initial posting which states the following:

so i am looking for a permanent GOOD solution to mount my phone and prefer not to drill holes and install all sorts of permanent brackets in or on the dash...and totally not take up my 1 cup holder and prefer to not take my 2nd swing out cup holder either if possible....

So I am trying to completely avoid that if at all possible. I might have to fabricate something from scratch or purchase 2 or 3 different phone holders and combine them into one unit that I might have to make custom brackets for and rivet a cradle to some sort of arm that does not interfere with my 6 speed shifter and E- Brake handle and swing out cup holder tucked under the stereo / center console. I am thinking perhaps maybe bolt an arm to the floor or under the center console that sneaks out between the plastic console and the carpet and then stands upwards and can mount the phone next to the stereo and the swing out cup holder would be in front of the bracket or arm that is standing upwards in that location.
what do you all think? Possibly? The cradle I bought is not bad, fits my Samsung Note 8 pretty well and the stereo requires the phone to be plugged into the USB cable coming out of the back of the stereo for Android Auto to work properly and run Apps, Use the phone via the stereo, the mic that I installed under the T Top headliner and sits just above the rear view mirror in the center of the car (if you put them near the windows or A/C vents people just hear wind noise and cant really make out what you are saying so the rear view mirror was the best place could think to mount it.
Other thought is to custom bend a metal bracket that bolts to the dash using some of the screws in the glove box compartment in the dash and have the metal bracket bent in such a way like a S shape that it sticks out from behind the glove box door and then rivet the cradle to the bracket so it sits right next to the stereo touch screen and that it sits on such an angle towards the driver to view the screen well. Other option would be to bolt some sort of bracket to the floor behind the stereo center console and have a bracket sneak out from bolting to the floor past where the carpet ends on the firewall area, or bolt a bracket to a cross brace inside the dash without ripping something apart from the phone weight and vibrations and such over time if its bolted into just plastic like A/C vent braces or something.
Ill have to play with it and make templates and take measurements and see if I can come up with something that does not interfere with the A/C vent faces with the air directional blades, does not interfere with the swing out cup holder, does not interfere with the glove box door that drops down when you open it and of course does not interfere with the new stereo, shifter handle and E-Brake handle yet provides a good view from the drivers seat.

Lets see if anyone else has put some thought into this and got talented and created their own brackets and mounting ideas and fabricated something from scratch VS purchasing some universal nonsense garbage from AutoZone or Poop Boyz or wherever auto garbage is sold. LOLOL

Thank you all, Keep the replies and ideas coming.
Thank you

Jenni
Old 07-15-2020, 01:47 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

How about a Pro-Fit mount? I used to have one for my portable Sirius radio but threw it away when I got a double DIN head unit with Sirius built-in. It is a bent metal bracket which attaches to the head unit mounting bolts under the radio trim panel and positions your device (phone or whatever) to the right of the center stack next to the head unit. Surprisingly, it's still available on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-Fit-Int...-/113701088948. Only $20.

You'd have to get a standard AMP mount to attach to the Pro-Fit bracket and hold your phone but those are available everywhere.

EDIT: I found this photo of a Pro-Fit mount in a Camaro. Not great but you can see where it goes. The Firebird mount is essentially the same.

Pro-Fit mount in Camaro.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 07-16-2020 at 08:30 AM.
Old 07-16-2020, 08:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Jennifur
Not bad, Not bad at all, But you gave me a great idea by the photos in that Jeep forum, I can custom bend on a brake or bench vice, some custom brackets and tap them if needed, and slip them in-between trim panels or even bolt it to the floor and have the bracket slip out between the carpet and the center console or something and bolt the phone cradle to it and pull off and sand smooth the little grip clips for the A/C vents that end up tearing those directional fins off of the slide thing that directs the air to wherever you want it. I cant believe I was dumb enough to think that those little fins would hold my cell phone, its way too heavy plus the added weight of the cradle itself i just got lucky that it did not snap the plastic tabs off and it just popped it out of place. So I was able to pull it back into place and no damage occurred. Never do that again.
But I think I am going to have to fabricate something custom unless someone posts up something that really works well and is a nice fit and finish and functional placing the phone in the perfect position VS just flopping around in an A/C vent or on some flexible tubular arm and again the phone weight just flops it all around and does not keep the phone still or is in the way of any passenger legs or the flip out cup holder on the passenger side of the forward center console under the radio next to the A/C & Heater controls and fan switches and *****.
If I come up with something I will post it up but ill keep waiting for others to chime in and see what other answers I get.
Thank you Arsenal for replying. Appreciate the help

Jennifur
Not a problem. WhiteBird's solution below is what I will be looking to do basically - both for my iPhone and my Sirius Stiletto radio, so I will be looking for two mounts in that manner.

How about a Pro-Fit mount? I used to have one for my portable Sirius radio but threw it away when I got a double DIN head unit with Sirius built-in. It is a bent metal bracket which attaches to the head unit mounting bolts under the radio trim panel and positions your device (phone or whatever) to the right of the center stack next to the head unit. Surprisingly, it's still available on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-Fit-Int...-/113701088948. Only $20.

You'd have to get a standard AMP mount to attach to the Pro-Fit bracket and hold your phone but those are available everywhere.

EDIT: I found this photo of a Pro-Fit mount in a Camaro. Not great but you can see where it goes. The Firebird mount is essentially the same.

Pro-Fit mount in Camaro.
Old 07-18-2020, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

Pro-Fit mount in Camaro.
you have come up with the best...most professional solution to this issue so i am going to see if i can fabricate the mount myself from the metal cage that came with my kenwood stereo and then bolt the cradle i bought for the A/C vent blade and cut off the clips on the back and use nutserts or thru bolt the cradle to the mount and if that does not work ill order this one for 20 bucks
thank you whitebird. You're the best!!!
greatly appreciate your reply and have saved my ve ts from breaking...and making The cars interior from looking like total gar age and half assed junk and phone from wobbling all around and just looking like a 3 year old engineered it and built it......falling on the floor and potentially breaking the phone itself
i owe ya one....

Jennifur

Quick Reply: Weird but functional cell phone mount info needed please.....