General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

What will 8-10k budget get me

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2021, 09:57 AM
Launching!

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

Hopefully, it's more scheduling than problems..
Old 11-05-2021, 09:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 90 Posts

The TA is ready! I miss her ... I'm picking her up on Monday. The radiator and transmission cooler needed to be upgraded as the coolant temps were slightly warmer than normal. There were some mods done to get the additional cooling; it's running 30 degrees cooler now. It's been several months, so I'm glad to get her back.
The following users liked this post:
JoshHefnerX (11-05-2021)
Old 11-05-2021, 01:58 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Man ... about time! Looking forward to hearing how the new powerplant feels.
Old 11-05-2021, 09:04 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,503 Likes on 2,159 Posts

Yes! Update us please on Monday. Been wondering how this was going.
Old 11-06-2021, 05:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

It is about time! Life happens ..... as well as problems during the build. I guess there is more of a chance of that when you're dealing with a car with 376k on the clock. I'm ready; I had to return to work last Monday and while I'm really digging the C6 -M6, it get's old in Atlanta traffic and my 40 mile one way drive to work clutching it. t'll be nice to not have to shift gears with the A4, although I can't remember NOT smiling when I get in that C6. I'll update Monday!

Last edited by TA_Freak; 11-06-2021 at 07:45 AM.
Old 11-06-2021, 07:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 155 Likes on 129 Posts

With any build there are always hiccups and probably more so with a car that's been enjoyed as many miles as yours. Glad you got it back and can have some fun with it.

A C6 is a great car. Enjoy both!
Old 11-06-2021, 09:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Happy to hear the T/A is ready for pick up and hope everything goes perfectly.

With any 300,000+ mile plus car even a well cared for one that when doing a hot rod refresh several unexpected issues will come up. Glad things were sorted.

Did you sell the 75 vette?
Old 11-06-2021, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
Happy to hear the T/A is ready for pick up and hope everything goes perfectly.

With any 300,000+ mile plus car even a well cared for one that when doing a hot rod refresh several unexpected issues will come up. Glad things were sorted.

Did you sell the 75 vette?
I did sell the 75. The buyer is going to do a frame off and go with an LS6 with a T-56 (I think). I was able to appease "management" by not having too many cars and it being sort of a tradeoff - although it was great to go from a non-driver to my daily driver while my TA has been in the shop.
99 Black Bird T/A (11-06-2021)
Old 11-06-2021, 05:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,002 Posts

TA Freak, sounds like a good turn of events all the way around regarding the 75!
Old 11-08-2021, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well ... I just got home with the TA. Not happy at all. It runs great when driving forward ... although I have new clunks that I didn't have before. It runs rough as hell, valves are clacking like crazy.
Threw a trouble code as soon as I left their shop. Idles way to high, I have to stand on the brakes to get it to stop. Maybe the cam is too big for the stall of 2600. Headlights don't work, key fob doesn't work, I had to scrape sticky **** off of the key fob. Also that I could check the battery. OMG .... what have I done? I let the shop know. I'm trying to upload a movie.

Last edited by TA_Freak; 11-08-2021 at 01:32 PM.
Old 11-08-2021, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wgl...ew?usp=sharing
Old 11-08-2021, 01:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

sounds like a vacuum leak - check engine compartment yourself for any vacuum leaks loose hose's , also check all the connectors make sure they are fully clicked in.
- give the shop a chance to fix.

I feel your frustration hate taking my car into any shop - last time I had work done ended up with flared out fenders from improper lift use!! Damm

Good luck!!!!
Old 11-08-2021, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Biebs
sounds like a vacuum leak - check engine compartment yourself for any vacuum leaks loose hose's , also check all the connectors make sure they are fully clicked in.
- give the shop a chance to fix.

I feel your frustration hate taking my car into any shop - last time I had work done ended up with flared out fenders from improper lift use!! Damm

Good luck!!!!
I do too. I spent way too much money .... and I should have left it alone and just kept on driving it. I'm already wanting to get rid of it.
Old 11-08-2021, 01:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by TA_Freak
I do too. I spent way too much money .... and I should have left it alone and just kept on driving it. I'm already wanting to get rid of it.
Hey buddy, I'm not too far from you in Acworth. I'd be happy to give a listen and see if I can help. I'm no expert but I built my motor and know these cars pretty well. Shoot me a msg.
Old 11-08-2021, 03:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 175 Likes on 128 Posts

So, how much Whp did it make?
Old 11-08-2021, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98cherrySS
Hey buddy, I'm not too far from you in Acworth. I'd be happy to give a listen and see if I can help. I'm no expert but I built my motor and know these cars pretty well. Shoot me a msg.
Oh man ... are you ever near Woodstock? Reason being ... I don't want to drive it anywhere at this point. I'm going to be towing the car back to the shop within the next week or so. They want to make it right. so that's good.
Old 11-08-2021, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Utinator
So, how much Whp did it make?
I don't know..... yet. There is more tuning to be done.
Old 11-08-2021, 06:13 PM
ModSquad

Originally Posted by TA_Freak
Well ... I just got home with the TA. Not happy at all. It runs great when driving forward ... although I have new clunks that I didn't have before. It runs rough as hell, valves are clacking like crazy.
Threw a trouble code as soon as I left their shop. Idles way to high, I have to stand on the brakes to get it to stop. Maybe the cam is too big for the stall of 2600. Headlights don't work, key fob doesn't work, I had to scrape sticky **** off of the key fob. Also that I could check the battery. OMG .... what have I done? I let the shop know. I'm trying to upload a movie.
Ok, let’s work through this. Breathe. ModLife is a work in progress.
First…did you run the code? What code is it?
Brakes could be high idle related.
Have the shop work out the electrical issues. Tell them your not waiting a week.
Darth can tune this and have it right. You’ll love your car again when he’s done. I can connect you guys if you decide you need him. Most driveability issues are from an incomplete tune when modding a vehicle. He’s the best. I just wrapped up helping a forum member here who goes by Dean Dolla, with his complete Mamo C6Z build. He was about where you are right now, before tuning by Darth….read to sell it. Now that it’s right, he’s the happiest guy I know. Modding a vehicle takes patience. It’s never right at first. Hang in there!
Biebs (11-08-2021)
Old 11-08-2021, 11:13 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Che70velle
Darth can tune this and have it right. You’ll love your car again when he’s done. Most driveability issues are from an incomplete tune when modding a vehicle. Modding a vehicle takes patience. It’s never right at first. Hang in there!
Agree that most of your issues are screaming bunk tune - except for clacking valves and headlights not working.

I'm suspicious of shops that claim to do everything. There are just too many horror stories about guys leaving their cars at "performance shops", getting them back way behind schedule, and finding them fubar'd when they do get them.

But as long as the basic build is sound, a good tune will get you on the right road and you'll get the ancillary issues solved over time.

I watched your video and don't think it sounds bad; just cammed. A high lift cam can make for a noisier valvetrain. I bet some tuning on the idle airflow tables will tame the roughness a bit and enhance driveability.

Last edited by RevGTO; 11-08-2021 at 11:22 PM.
Old 11-09-2021, 07:08 AM
ModSquad

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Agree that most of your issues are screaming bunk tune - except for clacking valves and headlights not working.

I'm suspicious of shops that claim to do everything. There are just too many horror stories about guys leaving their cars at "performance shops", getting them back way behind schedule, and finding them fubar'd when they do get them.

But as long as the basic build is sound, a good tune will get you on the right road and you'll get the ancillary issues solved over time.

I watched your video and don't think it sounds bad; just cammed. A high lift cam can make for a noisier valvetrain. I bet some tuning on the idle airflow tables will tame the roughness a bit and enhance driveability.
My thoughts exactly. Valvetrain doesn’t sound terrible, just sounds like an average LS after camming. 90% of shops don’t take the time to set lifter preload exactly right, just close enough. This is a big shop, so they should correct everything no problem.

Quick Reply: What will 8-10k budget get me