General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

What will 8-10k budget get me

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2021, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 90 Posts

Haha! Well I'm clearly leaving my love marks wherever I go!

I am absolutely loving driving this car. I've had a heavier than normal foot lately and damn does it run and sound good!
If only I didn't have that PO300 and PO327!

Old 12-31-2021, 07:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,002 Posts

My only experience with misfires was flustrating and ended up finding a broken spark plug. The insulator had cracked. Would it be worthwhile to check the plugs and wires etc?

Old 12-31-2021, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Could you feel it misfire? I can’t. Probably wouldn’t hurt to replace the plugs and wires. If the builder just threw the old plugs and wires back in, then they would have around 80,000 on them.
Old 01-01-2022, 02:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what happened to the shop hauling the car back and fixing it?
Old 01-01-2022, 05:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Couldn't feel misfire, just SES light and code.

Does the bill/ invoice itemize everything and list new plugs & new wires?

80k? Probably time or close enough time for plugs & wires.

Old 01-01-2022, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02WS6SSZ71
So what happened to the shop hauling the car back and fixing it?
What I was told is that there is not enough man power in his shop and to please be patient. There's a part of me that doesn't want to send it back to him.....
Old 01-01-2022, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
Couldn't feel misfire, just SES light and code.

Does the bill/ invoice itemize everything and list new plugs & new wires?

80k? Probably time or close enough time for plugs & wires.
I've been waiting for the build sheet for months.

Yes ... 80k. If the shop just threw those parts in a bucket or something then put them back on .... then that would probably be the problem. If I just do the work myself, then I know it's going to get done.
Old 01-01-2022, 06:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 155 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by TA_Freak
What I was told is that there is not enough man power in his shop and to please be patient. There's a part of me that doesn't want to send it back to him.....
Sorry, that's a BS answer from the shop. You paid for something to be done completely and that includes correctly. Obviously it's neither. They sent a car out knowing it wasn't up to the level it should be. I have a sneaking suspension you don't have a build list because you didn't get what you paid for. Nothing in writing means you can't tie them to it.

I hate shops that do crap like that. I feel for you.
Old 01-02-2022, 08:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 440_Stroker
Sorry, that's a BS answer from the shop. You paid for something to be done completely and that includes correctly. Obviously it's neither. They sent a car out knowing it wasn't up to the level it should be. I have a sneaking suspension you don't have a build list because you didn't get what you paid for. Nothing in writing means you can't tie them to it.

I hate shops that do crap like that. I feel for you.
I agree with you totally. If I had an attitude of I want my car back on such and such date with no codes or tweaks needing to be done maybe I would have gotten my way. With the trouble that that shop has had during the pandemic and other variables, if every customer had that attitude, he would have probably had to shut down his business. That shop has an impeccable reputation which is why I chose it. I’ve got some patience and empathy…. And have been assured that the TA will be picked up and tweaks made. I love the car again. It runs like a bat out of hell, it sounds amazing and I’m driving it every day. Things aren’t so bad …. And it will only get better in time. That build sheet is on this thread somewhere.
Old 01-02-2022, 09:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes ..... there are A LOT of add ons that I wasn't expecting to see. I would say that 12k is reasonable considering what is on that list.
for 12k you can most save a little more and buy the LS7 from GM.
Old 01-02-2022, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here's the build list, which is posted elsewhere on this thread.

Old 01-02-2022, 10:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 155 Likes on 129 Posts

I agree with you totally. If I had an attitude of I want my car back on such and such date with no codes or tweaks needing to be done maybe I would have gotten my way. With the trouble that that shop has had during the pandemic and other variables, if every customer had that attitude, he would have probably had to shut down his business. That shop has an impeccable reputation which is why I chose it. I’ve got some patience and empathy…. And have been assured that the TA will be picked up and tweaks made. I love the car again. It runs like a bat out of hell, it sounds amazing and I’m driving it every day. Things aren’t so bad …. And it will only get better in time. That build sheet is on this thread somewhere.
Reputations are earned when times are difficult, not easy, and their impeccable record is now soiled. I agree with giving businesses some slack with time as there are some issues and constraints out of their control but no excuse for not finishing a customers car, especially if you paid for it. Short changing customers to stay in business is a bad business plan. Like you I am.a very understanding person and have dealt with a similar instance with a vehicle. I wasn't happy and the car had issues that needed fixing after. Luckily they were fixed.

Hopefully it's fixed to your liking in the near future.

Old 01-02-2022, 11:39 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

That's a very nice parts list. Hopefully everything listed is actually present. Of course, you can only verify the externals, but that's a good place to start.

I didn't see plug wires on the list? Of course it would be ludicrous to put old wires and plugs on a fresh build like this. You can see if the wires are new. And you could pull a couple of plugs to see that they are also new according to the spec sheet.

Best investment you could make would be a tuning suite that would enable you to track down the misfires. Then inspect the wires and plugs on those cylinders.
Old 01-03-2022, 09:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

RevGTO said it well. Since new plugs are on the listed definitely inspect and see if the original plug wires were reinstalled.

I think you're a set of plug wires from being sorted out 😊

I end up breaking one plug wire usually when doing plugs every ~20,000 to 25,000 miles and accordingly replace all the wires when doing plugs.

I can't read the blurry screen shot of the parts list well enough to tell if the plugs are TR5 or TR6.

If the TR5 (stock heat range plug) was used, that seems a little warm to me for a stroker if that's what was used in the motor. Each motor varies but my 383 LS1 likes TR6's gapped @ .040 my 416 is happy with TR55's @ .050 etc.

BTW the if standard TR5, TR55 or TR6 are used they won't last 80,000 miles as 30,000 miles is the max recommended life span.

Last edited by 99 Black Bird T/A; 01-03-2022 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-03-2022, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here are the the last build sheets that I recieved prior to the build. They will be a little easier on the eyes.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
TA.pdf (26.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: pdf
preview5EADF1.pdf (98.7 KB, 36 views)
Old 01-03-2022, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 440_Stroker
Reputations are earned when times are difficult, not easy, and their impeccable record is now soiled. I agree with giving businesses some slack with time as there are some issues and constraints out of their control but no excuse for not finishing a customers car, especially if you paid for it. Short changing customers to stay in business is a bad business plan. Like you I am.a very understanding person and have dealt with a similar instance with a vehicle. I wasn't happy and the car had issues that needed fixing after. Luckily they were fixed.

Hopefully it's fixed to your liking in the near future.
So you've been there and done that. Good that your issues were fixed.
The shop said that they wanted to exceed my expectations .... so I'll let them! The tune still needs some tweaks and I don't want to see a check engine light on!
Old 01-03-2022, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RevGTO
That's a very nice parts list. Hopefully everything listed is actually present. Of course, you can only verify the externals, but that's a good place to start.

I didn't see plug wires on the list? Of course it would be ludicrous to put old wires and plugs on a fresh build like this. You can see if the wires are new. And you could pull a couple of plugs to see that they are also new according to the spec sheet.

Best investment you could make would be a tuning suite that would enable you to track down the misfires. Then inspect the wires and plugs on those cylinders.
I do want to pull a few spark plugs in hopes of finding where the oil is going. I think HP tuners is soon to be in my possession!
I did just recieve a tech2 clone for XMas.
Old 01-03-2022, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
RevGTO said it well. Since new plugs are on the listed definitely inspect and see if the original plug wires were reinstalled.

I think you're a set of plug wires from being sorted out 😊
Here's hoping!
Old 01-10-2022, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm hoping that I found the culprit to the PO300. Also the TA has been stalling out when driving it in colder weather ... pretty much just driving it out of the driveway - fortunately not on the road. It will stall out when I'm parking it, for instance letting off the gas quickly at low speed to backup in a parking spot. I found what I think was a vacuum leak where the catch can connects to the plastic PVC line that runs to the back of each valve cover. The Tech2 misfire graph showed more than a few cylinders logging misfires. I'm hoping the vacuum leak was the culprit.
Old 01-10-2022, 11:58 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

I've had vacuum leaks before that have created high idle and "cruise control", but never misfires - especially at near idle rpms. It would have to be crazy lean for it to misfire under those conditions.

I guess that the alternate scenario is that the lean condition cause by the vacuum leak could cause fuel trims to go berzerk dumping fuel. Have you logged your short and long term fuel trims?

Quick Reply: What will 8-10k budget get me