General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Opinion on WS6

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2021, 11:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Opinion on WS6

Do you guys think it would be ok to put a ram air ws6 hood on a 2001 base v6 firebird? I like the aggressive look of the hood and that's what i would really get it for, but i don't want to give off the wrong idea that I'm trying to make my car look like something it's not. in your opinions would this be ok, or be seen as a poser move? Thank you all.

Last edited by PontiacAddict; 05-24-2021 at 12:52 PM. Reason: year is 2001
Old 05-24-2021, 06:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey everyone! This guy's a phony! A big fat phony!

Actually, I don't have a problem with it. IMO its not a "poser move" unless you add a WS6 badge to the back.
Old 05-24-2021, 07:00 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,726 Likes on 1,238 Posts

I guess it really all depends on who's paying for the parts and who owns the car. Assuming it's your car and your money, then my opinion is that you should do whatever makes you happy.

Having said that, unless you put Formula or Trans Am emblems on the car while retaining the V6 engine, nobody should really assume you're trying to "pass it off" as anything; the hood is really just an appearance thing anyway. If we are strictly speaking of your concerns about perception, in my opinion, I don't see anything wrong with doing the hood. I wouldn't put Formula or Trans Am or WS6 badging on the car unless you were creating a proper clone (meaning full engine/mechanical swap to match the model in question), but just a hood is....just a hood.
Old 05-24-2021, 08:34 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 209 Likes on 176 Posts

A couple of thoughts:

If the nostrils are open and you put a seal around the outlet on the back of the hood, you'll have functional CAI which might gain you a couple of hp.

The new hood will be lighter than your stock steel one, and your front end may come up as much as an inch. I cut the springs a half coil to compensate for this.
Old 05-25-2021, 05:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

As stated, it's your car and money, but if you want a variety of opinions I personally would feel odd driving the car around. A ram air hood on a V6 Firebird just would not work for me. It isn't obnoxious by any means, like putting fart cans on 4 bangers to make them sound loud, but some things just don't feel right. Think hard about it before you spend good $$$. If you still want it after a few days, hey, go for it.
Old 07-20-2021, 11:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NC01TA
As stated, it's your car and money, but if you want a variety of opinions I personally would feel odd driving the car around. A ram air hood on a V6 Firebird just would not work for me. It isn't obnoxious by any means, like putting fart cans on 4 bangers to make them sound loud, but some things just don't feel right. Think hard about it before you spend good $$$. If you still want it after a few days, hey, go for it.
I second this opinion.
Old 07-27-2021, 06:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm saying no.
You need the exhaust sound to go with the ram air hood.

I used to have a Dodge Neon SRT4 turbo car. For whatever reason, Dodge also made a non-turbo "look-alike" car with a non-functional intake, smaller wheels (with wimpy brakes), standard tires, standard exhaust, standard suspension, and still had the big spoiler on the trunk.
It just didn't work. ...and it didn't look close enough to the SRT4 to fool even the most uninformed observer.

It is your $$$, tho.

-J
Old 07-27-2021, 09:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

There's alot more to a WS6 then a fancy hood but it comes down to each person.
It will look like a poser to some, and just a nice hood to others.

Quick Reply: Opinion on WS6